Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest challenge is our forward setup. If moving Majak into attack is not an option, then it is imperative that either/both of Mason Wood/Larkey step up big time. If last year tells us anything, it’s that, once Waite got injured, we were rendered pretty toothless. BBB suffered too without the decoy/support. BBB/Ziebell as our sole performing “big” men just won’t cut it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can’t expect too much out of our young guys unless our mid-age and seasoned players perform. The reason Stephenson played so well for Collingwood last season was because the more experienced guys all shouldered the major load and allowed him to perform a “cherry on top” routine. On the other hand, a lot of us were hoping LDU would “do a Judd” from the start. That was never going to happen due to our midfield depth issues. That has been addressed now. Hopefully, one of our young guys will get to “do a Stephenson” in 2019.

Got a lot of depth now
Locks in bold: 10

B: Williams McKay Daw
HB: McDonald Tarrant EVW
C: Tyson Hall Polec
HF: Garner Wood Ziebell
F: Simpkin Brown Turner
R: Goldy Higgins Cunners
I: Jacobs Dumont Ahern and 1 of Zurhaar/Wilkinson/Jed

Depth Zurhaar/Wilkinson/Jed, LDU, Hrovat, Thompson, Pittard, Macmillan, Murphy, Atley, Wright, Walker

Those 11 in depth will play games, that’s a solid group of 33 in total

Leaves Durdin, Larkey, TT, Scott, Crocker, Taylor, Xerri, Hayden, McKenzie and Watson to develop
And Red OG cat b rookie

Could see durds, larks, TT and maybe even Hayden sneak a game from the above group

And a spare list spot which I assume will be filled by a ruckman soon

Our biggest challenge is our forward setup. If moving Majak into attack is not an option, then it is imperative that either/both of Mason Wood/Larkey step up big time. If last year tells us anything, it’s that, once Waite got injured, we were rendered pretty toothless. BBB suffered too without the decoy/support. BBB/Ziebell as our sole performing “big” men just won’t cut it.

Our win loss ratio with W80 was 7 - 6. Without him it was 5 - 4.

Personally I think Jacobs' loss cost us more than him missing those games He is a gun tho and if he were playing at the level he has over the last 3 seasons we'd be favorites for a top 4 spot I reckon.

Williams - Tarrant - EVW
??? - Daw/BMac - Pittard
Dumont - Cunnington - Polec
Higgins - Daw/BMac - Anderson
!!! - Brown - Ziebell

Goldstein - Jacobs - Hall

Ahern, Tyson, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke

???- from McDonald, Murphy, Macmillan, Wright

!!!- from Thomas, Wood, Garner, Walker, Taylor, Atley

Seeing it very similar remfan, albeit I'd be reasonably confident of Jmac and Mase playing Rd.1, other things being equal. Like you, I reckon Jasper might get a shot and while seniority counts for a lot with Brad, I'd like to think EVW plays too. Pressure on Luke and Sammy. Kudos for putting Polec and Pittard on the left wing and flank respectively. ;)

Here's mine with Wood and Macmillan added, and BMac to CHB and Daw to CHF.

B: Vickers-Willis - Tarrant - Williams
HB: Macmillan - McKay - Pittard
C: Dumont - Cunnington - Polec
HF: Atley - Daw - Tyson
F: Ziebell - Brown - Simpkin
R: Goldstein - Higgins - Jacobs

I/C: Ahern, Wood, Anderson, Hall

Back line depth: Wright, McDonald, Murphy
Mid depth: Davies-Uniacke, Hrovat
Forward depth: from Garner (if fit), Zurhaar, Walker, Turner

I haven't included any of the 2018 draftees or any draftees from 2017 or earlier that haven't yet debuted or played little (Larkey, Durdin, Hayden, Xerri, Watson.) Early on, Thomas is a possibility but will need to build his endurance, and perhaps Wilkinson as a small forward.

Despite being rake rake thin I could see Scott demanding selection at some point.

He’s played half a season of senior AFL reserves football already, had multiple 25+ possession games, he’s no smaller than Walker tbh.

If he gets it 25 times a game in the VFL off of a wing, he will get a game fairly quickly.

He’s my smokey for the VFL B&F depending on how many AFL games he plays.

He’s got ready to go AFL endurance, which most of the others apart from Wilkinson don’t have.

Ah yeah, I forgot about Bailey for some reason, he's definitely got AFL ready endurance which is the biggest hump to get over for most draftees. If Will Walker had his endurance up he'd have racked up more possessions in his games, it was a good display nonetheless.

At some point, I think we'll regret Waite didn't play on. It looks like our only real weakness at this stage, assuming a small forward steps up, which I really shouldn't assume.

I think our biggest problems right now are small forwards, we've patched up the midfield issues well enough I think.

For a team that is rarely at the pointy end of the draft, we now have quite a bunch of high picks.

Our Best 22 Draft Picks in a team for 2019 has a nice look to it. I counted 17 first rounders.

B: Wright (27) Tarrant (15) Pittard (16)
HB: Atley (17) Durdin (16) McDonald (8)
C: Polec (5) LDU (4) Jacobs (16)
HF: Garner (15) Ziebell (9) Thomas (8)
F: Simpkin (12) McKay (21) Walker (23)
R: Goldy (37) Higgins (11) Cunners (5)
I: Dumont (30) Ahern (7) Tyson (3) Anderson (GWS pre-list)

Emerg: Kelly* (2) ;)

Maj, BBB, Sugar, and Thompson in the VFL...3rd, 4th rounders and rookies

Last edited:
Lots of positive talk on here which is great. I just checked the odds. We r 12th in line for premiership, top4 and top8 betting so we r actually expected to go down the ladder this year according to the punters.

At some point, I think we'll regret Waite didn't play on. It looks like our only real weakness at this stage, assuming a small forward steps up, which I really shouldn't assume.

I agree in one sense but overall, I believe it was the right decision. W8 was spectacularly good, no doubt about it. However, the fact he, most likely, would only have been able to give us half a season again would completely disrupt our build. Right now, we can face the season with more certainty, although we will miss his X factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree in one sense but overall, I believe it was the right decision. W8 was spectacularly good, no doubt about it. However, the fact he, most likely, would only have been able to give us half a season again would completely disrupt our build. Right now, we can face the season with more certainty, although we will miss his X factor.

Jarrard's constant breakdowns, not his footy, ended his career.

Our win loss ratio with W80 was 7 - 6. Without him it was 5 - 4.

Personally I think Jacobs' loss cost us more than him missing those games He is a gun tho and if he were playing at the level he has over the last 3 seasons we'd be favorites for a top 4 spot I reckon.

For me, Waite was really only there for the first 11 games. When he returned, he wasn’t fit. I think 7-4 and 5-6 is closer to the reality. I totally agree with you about Jacobs. Both players were big losses when they missed.

With basically the whole list borderline best 22 post the big cuts made, coupled with Scott’s track record of playing older guys, it would seem a terrible year with injuries and form would be needed to get games into the youngsters.
I would have thought he has played plenty of youngsters over the past 3-4 years. Simpkin, Walker, LMac, Ahern.... List goes on!

Just my analysis of our list. Locks are mostly obvious (and common). I have added Dumont, and left out Jacobs, but only because of his health.
If I include all locks and probables, I have 19 spots taken (18 if I take out S.Thompson for R1)

My personal preferences are highlighted for the additional 4 spots, assuming all are healthy. I have listed extra players, knowing this is going to be a very hard job.

Backline Locks: Tarrant
Backline Probables: Williams, Daw, JMac, Thompson
Backline Possibles: LMac, EVW, Wright, Pittard, Durdin, McKay, Murphy
Backline Depth: Watson
Forward Locks: Brown, Ziebell,
Forward Probables: Turner, Simpkin, Atley
Forward Possibles: Wood, Garner, Walker, Hall, Larkey, Zurhaar, Thomas, Taylor
Forward Depth: Hrovat, Crocker
Mid Locks: Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington, Dumont, Polec
Mid Probables: Ahern, LDU, Anderson, Jacobs
Mid Possibles: Tyson
Mid Depth: Xerri, Hayden, Wilkinson, McKenzie, Red Og Murphy

I wouldn't expect to see too many games out of the depth players in 2019, but hope the younger guys can develop. Hrovat shouldn't play all year. Thompson and Wright should be for security, but I hope the younger guys like Durdin and McKay play more games than either of them.
Wood is generally rated pretty highly on this board, but not in my opinion. I think he will be moved on at the end of the year. Larkey to take his role, and hopefully Thomas and Taylor to finish the year in the FWD half.

I feel a lot of you are in for a shock that don’t have Macmillan and McDonald as locks.

McDonald couldn’t have played worse last year and was never dropped.

Macmillan is now a senior leader.

I feel a lot of you are in for a shock that don’t have Macmillan and McDonald as locks.

McDonald couldn’t have played worse last year and was never dropped.

Macmillan is now a senior leader.
I don’t want to step on The Ziebull’s toes here but Macmillan is a below average defender, and if we are dead set next year should find his way out of the side

I don’t want to step on The Ziebull’s toes here but Macmillan is a below average defender, and if we are dead set next year should find his way out of the side
More than happy for you to join the vocal anti Macmillan crowd

Macmillan can fingerpoint and miss tackles in the vfl next year

Murphy, Marley, Lmac, EVW should all play ahead of him

Also would rather Atley go back to hbf to give us run

For me, Waite was really only there for the first 11 games. When he returned, he wasn’t fit. I think 7-4 and 5-6 is closer to the reality. I totally agree with you about Jacobs. Both players were big losses when they missed.

I checked the details yesterday. He played 9 of the first 10 games (missed the Sydney home game where Wood kicked 4 and we won by 2 points.) And we won 5 of those games. It was 50/50 when he came back and played the last 4 games.

I actually reckon that unlike other years he wasn't as vital last year. Still bloody good tho and if his body worked better he'd still be playing.

I checked the details yesterday. He played 9 of the first 10 games (missed the Sydney home game where Wood kicked 4 and we won by 2 points.) And we won 5 of those games. It was 50/50 when he came back and played the last 4 games.

I actually reckon that unlike other years he wasn't as vital last year. Still bloody good tho and if his body worked better he'd still be playing.

I think we’re in violent agreement on this, Ferball. We’ll miss Waite acutely. However, ultimately, we’re better off having ended the relationship this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back