Opinion Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bowes is probably the Tuohy replacement, versatile winger/defender. Good ball use. Not overly quick. Tuohy will probably hang on this year. So he may stay on the fringe in 2023.

I would play Bruhn and Knevitt as long as possible, by rotating out an older player each week.

We may not know how good one of them will be by the end of the season, and our midfield even at full strength is the weakest part of our game.

I think Bowes is probably the Tuohy replacement, versatile winger/defender. Good ball use. Not overly quick. Tuohy will probably hang on this year. So he may stay on the fringe in 2023.

I would play Bruhn and Knevitt as long as possible, by rotating out an older player each week.

We may not know how good one of them will be by the end of the season, and our midfield even at full strength is the weakest part of our game.
I know he faded late but Tuohy can retain his spot in the side if he plays as he did Saturday. Dropping him for me was conditional on his form remaining at the patchy level it was with those few horrendous mistakes a match (all those smothered or erratic kicks!).

Without C.Guthrie we probably do need one of Bruhn and Knevitt. Even once we have Danger and Holmes back.

Dangerfield, Blicavs, Atkins
Holmes, Bruhn/Knevitt

With a sprinkle of Duncan and Stengle.

Is probably our best midfield group minus Guthrie.

If C.Guthrie doesn't return this year:

FB: Bews De Koning J.Henry
HB: Stewart Kolo Tuohy
C: Smith Blicavs Holmes
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
FOL: Stanley Atkins Dangerfield
IC: Z.Guthrie Duncan Bruhn

Last spot out of Bowes and O.Henry, with the other as the sub.

This is conditional on Bews and Tuohy being in fairly good form. I'm split on whether Sav fits of not, but SDK would want to find his 2022 form fast. Z.Guthrie would also want to play more like he did in the last quarter as he has been really unconvincing for 2 months.

Last years Premiership side with Holmes and Menegola (depending on availability naturally) replacing Selwood and Parfitt, then throw a blanket over Bruhn, Henry, O'Çonnor, Bowes and Knevitt for the last spot, nice and simple.

Nothing ever changes, does it, every year it's the same old same old drop Tuohy nonsense.
Unfortunately for the naysayers, he just keeps on keeping on.
He's going nowhere if he continues to play as well as he has this season, and especially the last 3 games.

Nothing ever changes, does it, every year it's the same old same old drop Tuohy nonsense.
Unfortunately for the naysayers, he just keeps on keeping on.
He's going nowhere if he continues to play as well as he has this season, and especially the last 3 games.
I'm Tuohy's number one fan (okay, you're probably on the podium with me). This year he just hasn't been very good, but I suspect he's been playing through an injury as well. Rumours also say as much.

5 possessions less per game than last year but slightly more clangers and when his kicks were errant or smothered it has usually lead to an opposition goal.

I do agree that incrementally he's improved the last 3 weeks though and especially on the weekend. And I think our team kind of needs 2022 level Tuohy to be a chance. But he has to be a weapon because he's struggling on defensive transition this season.

Last years Premiership side with Holmes and Menegola (depending on availability naturally) replacing Selwood and Parfitt, then throw a blanket over Bruhn, Henry, O'Çonnor, Bowes and Knevitt for the last spot, nice and simple.
Menegola?
Can't be serious.
No preseason, no fitness, no form, very little chance, sadly

If C.Guthrie doesn't return this year:

FB: Bews De Koning J.Henry
HB: Stewart Kolo Tuohy
C: Smith Blicavs Holmes
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
FOL: Stanley Atkins Dangerfield
IC: Z.Guthrie Duncan Bruhn

Last spot out of Bowes and O.Henry, with the other as the sub.

This is conditional on Bews and Tuohy being in fairly good form. I'm split on whether Sav fits of not, but SDK would want to find his 2022 form fast. Z.Guthrie would also want to play more like he did in the last quarter as he has been really unconvincing for 2 months.
Sav was leading the Addy votes, got lots of coaches votes- he's in.

Need to remember that Parfitt was the sub in last years premiership team, while O'Connor was in the starting 22

You've kinda promoted Parfitt while demoting O'Connor, and until the last couple of weeks when he's been moved more into the guts more so as a means of being an experienced body in there, he was putting together a pretty solid season

If you've read my posts you'll know I've held Sav's performances in high regard. I'm happy with him in the side. I don't pay much attention to anyone unless they actually post their side or who should be dropped instead though.

I can see signs of Bews and Tuohy turning it around, who were the most shaky in form. Spotlight is on a few others now.

Is that the fan MVP - this is the current tally after round 12 with Stewart extending his lead, and looking at scores you can see there was the chance of Ratugolea leading:

1686047794856.png

This is they experts MVP leader board, and other than Stewart & Cameron, it gives an indication that experts can view things differently than fans

1686047960026.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the fan MVP - this is the current tally after round 12 with Stewart extending his lead, and looking at scores you can see there was the chance of Ratugolea leading:

View attachment 1706326

This is they experts MVP leader board, and other than Stewart & Cameron, it gives an indication that experts can view things differently than fans

View attachment 1706331
Second highest defender in both cases is interesting.

Hawkins actually leads the league for combined goals/assists in a team that hasn't even been dominant - yet 9th and 5th in those rankings. Almost perennially underrated and I'm sure this is the case even with my votes.

Second highest defender in both cases is interesting.

Hawkins actually leads the league for combined goals/assists in a team that hasn't even been dominant - yet 9th and 5th in those rankings. Almost perennially underrated and I'm sure this is the case even with my votes.

I think it’s one of the things that makes looking over vote tally’s interesting, because you can start to tell how different audiences/parties view the game - fans*, experts, former players, coaches etc

*fans can even be broken down further to those who are the casual or social fans, die hard crazies that spend 24 hours a day on football forums, fantasy football lovers & those with a focus on stat collation etc

Fans & experts both have Stewart as the clear leader, while checking our MVP board tally which is up to Rnd 11 (GWS), we have Stewart in second trailing behind Cameron - our tally is here for those interested, Geelong Board MVP

The intersting thing with the above 2 images is that the experts have given votes to both O’Connor & Z. Guthrie, but neither player has received the fan votes at this stage - we have those 2 sitting 11th & 12th respectively on our leaderboard

Meanwhile the fans have given a votes to each of Rohan & Simpson who’ve both been overlooked by the Experts - our board have given those guys votes, but they more closely resemble the above fan votes with both guys at the tail of our leaderboard

I also know when we get to the end of the year & the Carji votes how they often will differ to what we’ve seen given out in terms of coaching votes - Miers 5 coaches votes against the Bulldogs are his first coaches votes for the year, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him top 3 in our B&F as we head into the bye

If people think Ratugolea is disrupting our defensive set-up, the solution is not to drop him, it's to re-jig it to work around the bloke who keeps getting coaches' votes - from both coaches.

How do you realistically do that on the fly in the next 6 weeks though? Id suggest thats very hard to do.

With full availability on the basis of what we've seen to the mid point of 2023.

B: Bews J.Henry Ratugolea
Hb: Stewart SDK MOC
C: Smith C.Guthrie Holmes
HF: Miers Cameron Close
F: Stengle Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Blicavs Dangerfield
IC: Duncan Tuohy Atkins O.Henry (sub)

I've gone with Esava over Kolo. Kolo is probably stronger 1v1, whereas Sav is superior in the air. Sav edges it with his form this year. I feel like he offers something a bit more dynamic to the back 6 with his speed and ability to play tight or zone off and intercept. I know Kolo is sort of undroppable but I just think Sav has really emerged as the 3rd key defender this year. That's my preference, but I'm not confident the MC will go that way.

I just couldn't find room for Z.Guthrie. MOC gets the nod ahead of him for me as just being the slightly more versatile medium defender who I think has had the better form this year than Zuth and offers a bit more attacking drive. Tough call as I really like Zach. Likelihood is with one or two out, he makes the team.

O.Henry as a likely sub. Can really impact games late.

The forwards and midfield almost choose themselves if the availability is there. For the mids it's Dangerfield, Blicavs, C.Guthrie and Atkins. Holmes and Smith on the wings, and Duncan in that quarterback role. The likes of Simpson, Parfitt, Bowes, Knevitt, Bruhn will be hard pressed to squeeze into that lineup unless there are injuries.

What will hurt more is if there are injuries to the forwards as we don't have the depth for those roles/positions. You look at each of Hawkins, Miers, Close, Stengle, Cameron and Rohan - lose one or two and the structure really suffers.

With full availability on the basis of what we've seen to the mid point of 2023.

I've gone with Esava over Kolo. Kolo is probably stronger 1v1, whereas Sav is superior in the air. Sav edges it with his form this year. I feel like he offers something a bit more dynamic to the back 6 with his speed and ability to play tight or zone off and intercept. I know Kolo is sort of undroppable but I just think Sav has really emerged as the 3rd key defender this year. That's my preference, but I'm not confident the MC will go that way.

I just couldn't find room for Z.Guthrie. MOC gets the nod ahead of him for me as just being the slightly more versatile medium defender who I think has had the better form this year than Zuth and offers a bit more attacking drive. Tough call as I really like Zach. Likelihood is with one or two out, he makes the team.

The forwards and midfield almost choose themselves if the availability is there. For the mids it's Dangerfield, Blicavs, C.Guthrie and Atkins. Holmes and Smith on the wings, and Duncan in that quarterback role. The likes of Simpson, Parfitt, Bowes, Knevitt, Bruhn will be hard pressed to squeeze into that lineup unless there are injuries.

What will hurt more is if there are injuries to the forwards as we don't have the depth for those roles/positions. You look at each of Hawkins, Miers, Close, Stengle, Cameron and Rohan - lose one or two and the structure really suffers.
Don't forgot that interchange is 4, with the sub coming from the emergencies

Means you can add another to your interchange bench

Kolodabloodyjazneo is a lock.

You can add one of Kolo or ZG to that team, given there are 4 i/c plus sub

was just about to say that

I know the sub rule was tweaked for this season so it's a tactical sub & not just an injury sub, but since it was reintroduced in 2021(?) it's been 4 on the bench & sub

Yet there still seems confusion around it, with some still using the sub mechanism from a decade ago where the sub came from the interchange bench

Respect for you having a crack (it's very easy to say such and such is a lock without mentioning who would be dropped), but Kolo really is a lock for me and by all accounts the MC/Scott. They would even drop J.Henry before Kolo I think - and MOC and Z.Guthrie before either.

Picking the best out of Z.Guthrie and MOC makes sense to me. Both started the season strong, but Z.Guthrie in particular has been lead a merry dance lately and not had much positive impact. MOC has gotten the fumbles somewhat. I don't see how we squeeze both of these guys in as well as Bews and Tuohy. I'd be backing the latter two to keep on improving and being vital cogs at this stage but they need to or they are in trouble.

Your side, with Kolo added and Smith rotating half forward and Holmes on ball (allowing Duncan/Tuohy usage on the wings at times as well as half back), is a good one. Arguably it's a midfield rotation down compared to last year but maybe they address that with Holmes playing a dual role.

Don't forgot that interchange is 4, with the sub coming from the emergencies

Means you can add another to your interchange bench
Bonus! I'd go for Zuthrie then with MOC rotating through the midfield. Tempted to bring O.Henry in the main team but I think it makes sense to have the sub as an attacking weapon.

I don't think we need more than 3 tall defenders in the team. I know Kolo has had the ability to play tall or small, but these days I wouldn't play him on quick medium sized forwards. It's a close call for me between him and Sav and may depend on the opposition, but I'm just too much of a fan of Esava when you look at what he's achieved in the first half of the season.

J.Henry hasn't played many games in 2023 but he is absolutely pivotal if injury-free. Kolo is solid as a rock. You know what you're gonna get. Sav may be a little more unpredictable, but he could be a match winner for us if it comes down to influencing some key contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back