Best Games of 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed, that seems like the most logical course to take!

About 7-8 years ago I came across a few AFL matches that were shown on Fox Soccer Plus, and I thought it was one of the most astonishing sports I had ever seen. The pure athleticism, along with the amazing technical skills involved- it was really impressive to watch.

I’ll butcher the following because I don’t know proper terminology, but someone on Essendon I believe (high chance I’m wrong about the team) was having an unreal game (at least to my untrained eyes). He went on several long runs, each finishing with a goal kicked from some distance. Very exciting stuff.

Soon after I stopped paying for Fox Soccer Plus, and haven’t seen a minute of footy since. And honestly, hadn’t thought about it until a few weeks ago a friend was in Australia for business and tweeted about how exciting the Collingwood/Richmond prelim was.

We chatted briefly about how interesting the game is, and I decided to look into streaming options to follow the sport. And here we are!

I can understand the appeal from an outsider's perspective. There's the combination of almost constant motion during general play, like Basketball, but on a much larger ground with added physicality.

Australian footballers are some of the best all around athletes in the world when you consider that they cover more ground on average than soccer players but still have to be explosive and deal with full contact.

AFL is more like structured warfare than it is a sport.

I can understand the appeal from an outsider's perspective. There's the combination of almost constant motion during general play, like Basketball, but on a much larger ground with added physicality.

Australian footballers are some of the best all around athletes in the world when you consider that they cover more ground on average than soccer players but still have to be explosive and deal with full contact.

AFL is more like structured warfare than it is a sport.

All of this rings true for me.

Good stuff mate. I love it when Americans take an interest in our great sport.

Geelong V Hawthorn - round 2
Brisbane V Collingwood - round 7
WB V Geelong - Rd 15
Melbourne V St Kilda - Round 15
Essendon V North Melb - Round 15
Geelong V Melbourne - round 18
Hawthorn V Essendon - round 20
Brisbane V North Melb - Round 20
WCE V Melbourne - Round 22
West Coast V Collingwood - qualifying final

West Coast vs Collingwood (Grand Final)
Geelong vs Western Bulldogs
Melbourne vs Geelong (R1 and EF)
Geelong vs Melbourne
West Coast vs Melbourne (Round 22)
Port Adelaide vs West Coast (Round 21)
Richmond vs Geelong (Round 20)
Adelaide's come from behind wins against West Coast and Port Adelaide.

I have seen some question that final mark, due to “interference” (not sure what the proper terminology is, or even what the actual rule is. But to my eye, the Eagle player certainly didn’t seem to make a play on the ball, he just obstructed the Collingwood defender. Again I don’t know what the rule is, just stating what I saw on the play).

Curious what Eagle fans say in response to this.
No freekick. :p

Indeed, that seems like the most logical course to take!

About 7-8 years ago I came across a few AFL matches that were shown on Fox Soccer Plus, and I thought it was one of the most astonishing sports I had ever seen. The pure athleticism, along with the amazing technical skills involved- it was really impressive to watch.

I’ll butcher the following because I don’t know proper terminology, but someone on Essendon I believe (high chance I’m wrong about the team) was having an unreal game (at least to my untrained eyes). He went on several long runs, each finishing with a goal kicked from some distance. Very exciting stuff.

Soon after I stopped paying for Fox Soccer Plus, and haven’t seen a minute of footy since. And honestly, hadn’t thought about it until a few weeks ago a friend was in Australia for business and tweeted about how exciting the Collingwood/Richmond prelim was.

We chatted briefly about how interesting the game is, and I decided to look into streaming options to follow the sport. And here we are!
Can confirm I didn't find that as exciting as your friend did :p

Other than that I can really only echo the games others have already mentioned. Should be able to get a fair old marathon out of those.

I'm a bit biased but I think the Cats and Dees had one of the best H2H narratives in 2018. Two heartbreaking losses for the Dees in the H&A, both embarrassing for different reasons, and then we finally came of age in the elimination final (which was probably the lowest standard game)

Richmond v Collingwood premi final ;)

Anzac Day game - these games are always something special.

I feel like we're all a bit biast when it comes to choosing best games given who we support lol

These games are one sided, not a great advertisement for the sport or what you’d call good games to a neutral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 17 - North v Sydney: There was only 25K there to see it but this was a major contender for game of the season. Absolute cracking contest highlighted by the sub plot of Aliir Aliir v Majak Daw, two players of Sudanese heritage who found themselves matched up on each other for much of the day.

Some other contenders:
Round 18 - Geelong v Melbourne
Round 22 - West Coast v Melbourne
Qualifying Final - West Coast v Collingwood
Grand Final - As above

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I remember both Adelaide/Port clashes being belters.

Collingwood’s most exciting clashes for the year were undoubtedly Round 2 vs GWS and Round 7 vs Lions. For a high quality exhibition of football our game against the Demons in Round 12 or so was probably the best. We played attractive footy for a lot of the year though.

Vaguely remember the early season clash between the Swans and Western Bulldogs being good. West Coast/Melbourne during the season (not the preliminary final) was good too, found both sides very watchable.

Fast flowing, wide open, exciting footy is definitely what I would like to see. Are certain teams known for that type of football historically and pretty regularly?
Yes Essendon and probably Brisbane are known for fast and open football. I'd highly recommend Essendon vs North round 15, Hawthorn vs Essendon round 20 and Brisbane vs Collingwood round 7 if you want to see that type of football. If you're going to watch one, then watch Essendon vs North. That was one of the craziest football games I've ever seen.

First half of West Coast vs Essendon in round 14 is also one of the most scintillating display of football from a side this year. Don't watch the second half though :p

In all honesty, I think every game West Coast played the pies this year was an absolute belter.
I won't tell you the results, you'll have to find out yourself.

Round 8 showdown Port v Adelaide is a goodun

Half way through this game. First time watching PA, and surprised that I have barely noticed Wingard involved in play so far. PA wasted many opportunities in first half.

As an aside, I really wish player names were on the backs of uniforms (jumpers?)

I know this is outside the parameters of the thread, but duck back 2 years, there’s a highly underrated rd 23 clash, Hawks vs Pies, Hawks win by one point. One of the best games I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been going since 1975, but doesn’t get a lot of attention.

I know this is outside the parameters of the thread, but duck back 2 years, there’s a highly underrated rd 23 clash, Hawks vs Pies, Hawks win by one point. One of the best games I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been going since 1975, but doesn’t get a lot of attention.

I’m not against watching any game I can access. The app I have only 2018 games (I just watched a ten minute YouTube video on the “line in the sand game” :drunk:).

Are older games available for viewing somewhere online?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back