Best matches to watch/rewatch

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a match as such, just a short clip from our 1977 game at home v Pies. In 76 we were up and they were down, 77 we were mid-table and they were top. Particularly enjoyed the bit at approx 1:06-1:10 where young EJ just misses smacking Wearmouth across the face (their fathers played together in 51-52 for us), but luckily one of my favourites from the 70s, Dennis Blair did what many opponents wanted to do and crashed Wearmouth (not hard enough obviously, as he was able to take his kick). Was a solid player from WA Blair, pity we only had him for 3 seasons. By reports, still follows the Dogs from back in Perth. Love the conditions - a beautiful winter's day at WO. I actually remember being there and watching Matt Johnson in this game (think it was his first). Nice dumping by Wheeler on Magro at the end of the clip too - 2 blokes who never took a backward step!

Anyway, just a brief distraction from all the gloom and doom, enjoy!

What a call by Anthony Hudson. It was the first time I've listened to it. So good.

The 1st thing I said when it finished, was what a great call by Huddo.
Too bad it was spoiled a little by McVeigh, who added absolutely nothing.

Boredom really kicking in with these COVID-19 restrictions.

I've ranked my top three matches per opponent. I'll start with the first four.

Adelaide:

1. Round 20, 2006.
    A come from behind win at the MCG against the ladder leading Crows. We were about five goals down during the third quarter. Cooney was BOG with five goals and 30 disposals. West had 45 disposals. We won by seven points courtesy Cooney’s fifth goal on the siren. It was a long running goal from McMahon with a couple of minutes remaining that saw us hit the front.

1. Round 16, 1999.
    Another famous come from behind win at the MCG. We were 40 points down at the last break. We held the Crows goalless in the final term and won by two points. Darcy kicked a goal from 50m with a couple of minutes remaining to level the scores.

1. Round 19, 2010.
    We defeated the Crows by eight points at AAMI Stadium that had me believing we were a real premiership threat. We were one point up at the last change and only kicked one goal in the final term, holding the Crows goalless. That final term was a real slog in poor conditions. Easton Wood was heroic in the dying stages with a fantastic one-on-one defensive effort (I can’t remember the opponent he beat, but it was special).

Brisbane:

1. Round 18, 2005.
Although an aging team, the Lions were still considered a very good football team. This game was the emergence of Cooney who was exceptional in the final term, and helped us on our way to a high-scoring 28-point victory. Matthew Robbins took a one-handed screamer on Chris Johnson.

1. Round 10, 1999.
In a rain-soaked GABBA, we defeated the second-placed Lions 66-44. The match is infamous for Liberatore clawing the face of an opponent (for some reason, Mcrae or Lawrence come to mind).

1. Round 20, 2009.
We won by less than three goals in a top four battle.

Carlton:

1. Round 19, 2000.
The Blues were second on the ladder, having won their last 13 matches. Robert Murphy’s debut game. Garlic kicked six goals. Dogs home by three points with Bartlett kicking the winner.

1. Round 2, 1998.
We won by 56 points to solidify ourselves at the top of the ladder.

1. Round 14, 1997.
With Grant at his best, and Cook helping out in attack, we proved too strong for the Blues, winning by six goals and remaining on top of the ladder. We’d go on to lose our next four matches.

Collingwood:

1. EF, 2006.
We smashed the Pies in front of the biggest crowds we have played in front of. Doesn’t get much better than knocking out the Pies in a final.

1. Round 22, 2009.
Although we had secured a top four spot regardless of the outcome, Johnson’s goal after the siren not only gave us a 24 point win, but it gave us the percentage we needed to leap frog the Pies into third position. It was our third win in a row (all against fellow finalists), and I felt the win gave us enough confidence to have a premiership assault.

1. Round 1, 2005.
Eade’s first game in charge of the Dogs. We got our season off to a flier with an impressive win against the Pies. Johnson was BOG despite having been in doubt all week. Gilbee lived up to his end of season 2004 form with a near BOG performance – the match that kick-started his career as an attacking defensive weapon.

Last edited:
Boredom really kicking in with these COVID-19 restrictions.

I've ranked my top three matches per opponent. I'll start with the first four.

Adelaide:

1. Round 20, 2006.
    A come from behind win at the MCG against the ladder leading Crows. We were about five goals down during the third quarter. Cooney was BOG with five goals and 30 disposals. West had 45 disposals. We won by seven points courtesy Cooney’s fifth goal on the siren. It was a long running goal from McMahon with a couple of minutes remaining that saw us hit the front.

1. Round 16, 1999.
    Another famous come from behind win at the MCG. We were 40 points down at the last break. We held the Crows goalless in the final term and won by two points. Darcy kicked a goal from 50m with a couple of minutes remaining to level the scores.

1. Round 19, 2010.
    We defeated the Crows by eight points at AAMI Stadium that had me believing we were a real premiership threat. We were one point up at the last change and only kicked one goal in the final term, holding the Crows goalless. That final term was a real slog in poor conditions. Easton Wood was heroic in the dying stages with a fantastic one-on-one defensive effort (I can’t remember the opponent he beat, but it was special).

Brisbane:

1. Round 18, 2005.
Although an aging team, the Lions were still considered a very good football team. This game was the emergence of Cooney who was exceptional in the final term, and helped us on our way to a high-scoring 28-point victory. Matthew Robbins took a one-handed screamer on Chris Johnson.

1. Round 10, 1999.
In a rain-soaked GABBA, we defeated the second-placed Lions 66-44. The match is infamous for Liberatore clawing the face of an opponent (for some reason, Mcrae or Lawrence come to mind).

1. Round 20, 2009.
We won by less than three goals in a top four battle.

Carlton:

1. Round 19, 2000.
The Blues were second on the ladder, having won their last 13 matches. Robert Murphy’s debut game. Garlic kicked six goals. Dogs home by three points with Bartlett kicking the winner.

1. Round 2, 1998.
We won by 56 points to solidify ourselves at the top of the ladder.

1. Round 14, 1997.
With Grant at his best, and Cook helping out in attack, we proved too strong for the Blues, winning by six goals and remaining on top of the ladder. We’d go on to lose our next four matches.

Collingwood:

1. EF, 2006.
We smashed the Pies in front of the biggest crowds we have played in front of. Doesn’t get much better than knocking out the Pies in a final.

1. Round 22, 2009.
Although we had secured a top four spot regardless of the outcome, Johnson’s goal after the siren not only gave us a 24 point win, but it gave us the percentage we needed to leap frog the Pies into third position. It was our third win in a row (all against fellow finalists), and I felt the win gave us enough confidence to have a premiership assault.

1. Round 1, 2005.
Eade’s first game in charge of the Dogs. We got our season off to a flier with an impressive win against the Pies. Johnson was BOG despite having been in doubt all week. Gilbee lived up to his end of season 2004 form with a near BOG performance – the match that kick-started his career as an attacking defensive weapon.

What time frame does this cover? The 1984 Beasley/Allan game v Pies at WO would be in our best victories for mine - early in the third q Pies were out by 37 points, and it looked like a smashing, but we got up almost on the siren thanks to Gubby's kick across goal.

What time frame does this cover? The 1984 Beasley/Allan game v Pies at WO would be in our best victories for mine - early in the third q Pies were out by 37 points, and it looked like a smashing, but we got up almost on the siren thanks to Gubby's kick across goal.
Probably only covers from 1994.

Not a match as such, just a short clip from our 1977 game at home v Pies. In 76 we were up and they were down, 77 we were mid-table and they were top. Particularly enjoyed the bit at approx 1:06-1:10 where young EJ just misses smacking Wearmouth across the face (their fathers played together in 51-52 for us), but luckily one of my favourites from the 70s, Dennis Blair did what many opponents wanted to do and crashed Wearmouth (not hard enough obviously, as he was able to take his kick). Was a solid player from WA Blair, pity we only had him for 3 seasons. By reports, still follows the Dogs from back in Perth. Love the conditions - a beautiful winter's day at WO. I actually remember being there and watching Matt Johnson in this game (think it was his first). Nice dumping by Wheeler on Magro at the end of the clip too - 2 blokes who never took a backward step!

Anyway, just a brief distraction from all the gloom and doom, enjoy!

Thanks for posting that clip, Ivan. Reckon I might have been at that game too. Looked like EJ jnr was going to clock Wearmouth but changed his mid at the last second. Dennis Blair was alright, remembered him as being pretty handy and always had a red hot crack. Remember around that time we never beat Collingwood and copped some absolute beltings at Vic. Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon:

1. Round 21, 2000.

A game that needs no explanation. We stopped their perfect season.

2. Round 19, 2017.

This game allowed us all to believe we may finally be returning to the side we were the previous year. It was built as an eight-point game, with both the Bombers and Bulldogs with identical records sitting 8th and 10th respectively. We had won our previous two matches and hadn't won three in a row all season. Johannisen kicked a career-high four goals - the only time in his career he's kicked more than two in a match. In a fairly high-scoring match, we proved too strong, winning 127-97 in front of a packed Etihad Stadium.

3. Round 10, 1997.

We led go to wo, winning 136-114. The win took us to second on the ladder, setting up an epic top-of-the-ladder clash the following week.

Fremantle:

1. Round 1, 2016.

The bookies couldn't separate the two teams, thanks largely to Sandilands not playing. Fremantle probably still deserved to be favourite, given they had won the minor premiership the year before. They also had Ross Lyon at the helm; arguably no coach at that time knew Etihad Stadium better. For the Bulldogs, it was all guns blazing from the outset, quickly running out to a seven goal lead at the first change after holding the Dockers goalless. Despite the Bulldogs being outscored three goals to one in the third term, we ran away with a 65 point victory. Caleb Daniel's goal after the siren saw the Bulldogs end the round on top of the ladder.

2. Round 8, 2008.

We were undefeated going into the match and came up against a side who'd only won one of their first seven matches. On paper, it looked like an easy win to the Bulldogs. It was anything but. One point separated the sides at the first change. One point separated the sides at the main break. The Dockers led by three goals at the last change, and it looked like they may upset the Team from the Mighty West. When Pavlich kicked a goal 12 minutes into the final term, the Dockers returned to the three-goal lead they enjoyed at three-quarter time. Back-to-back goals within one minute to the soon-to-be Brownlow Medallist, Adam Cooney, set the atmosphere for an epic finish to the match. A clutch goal to Scott Welsh with four minutes remaining gave the Bulldogs a one-point lead. We'd hold on to win a thriller by three points in a high-scoring match.

3. Round 11, 2000.

Our 93-point victory (174-81) remains our largest interstate victory.

Geelong:

1. Round 4, 2006.

2001-2005. Five seasons of no finals. Five bleak seasons. Enter 2006. We got off to a flier, entering this match with a 3-0 record and sitting on top of the ladder. Geelong were sitting third. Two teams clearly on the rise. Three points separated the sides at the first change. Four points separated the sides at the main break. The Dogs led by one point at the last change. It was that sort of game. A seesaw. A thrilling one at that. 46,000 fans at Etihad Stadium on the edge of their seats. When Cooney kicked a goal at the 25th minute mark of the final term, it gave the Bulldogs a 13-point lead. This looked like a match-winning lead. It wasn't. Very quick responses to Enright and Ablett saw the margin reduced to one point. There was enough time for a winner, with the Cats squandering a chance to win the match right at the end; the Doggies holding on to win by one point.

2. Round 11, 1997.

Geelong first. Bulldogs second. Both teams one game clear of third. The winner would end the round on top of the ladder. The Bulldogs hadn't ended a round on top since 1992. This was big. Even bigger than the shiner Tony Liberatore would receive during the match. The Bulldogs ran away with a hard-fought 21-point victory.

1585802659958.png

3. Round 12, 2001.

The Bulldogs found themselves eight goals down during the second quarter. They'd go on to win by seven points, helped by a five goal to one final term. This was during a period where the Doggies had the wood over Geelong at the Cattery. How times have changed.

Gold Coast:

1. Round 15, 2015.

With the Bulldogs sitting seventh and the Suns having only won two matches, this looked like an easy win to the Bulldogs. Despite looking easy on paper, this was an important match for the Bulldogs, given a win here would hold them in good stead to play finals for the first time since 2010. Seven minutes into the final quarter, the Suns led by 26 points. There was simply no way the Bulldogs were playing anywhere near well enough to kick another five goals, let alone holding the Suns goalless to win the match. Goals to Redpath, Stringer and Macrae within the next five minutes turned the tide in the Bulldogs' favour, but the Suns were still nine points up. When Aaron Hall steadied the ship with a goal half way through the final term to give them a 15-point lead, it seemed as though the Suns might hold on. Six unanswered goals to the Bulldogs followed, running away with a 22-point victory.

2. Round 17, 2016.

This was Tom Boyd's first game back after a club-imposed suspension. It wasn't the greatest game you're likely to see, but lets be honest - there aren't too many games to choose from. We needed to win well to get some much-needed percentage, given that six teams inside the top eight had a healthier percentage than we did. Our 48-point victory was enough. It wasn't a convincing win, but it saw us end the round in third position.

3. Round 18, 2017.

Again, there's not too many games to choose from, so this will do. A comfortable 54-point win to keep our finals chances alive.

After posting this, I went looking for the game online. Can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone help?

That's weird, the entire game used to be on youtube. Our 2006 semi the following week in Perth is there though - must have been taken down for some reason.

AFL rewind had the GWS prelim today, during work time so didn’t watch it for the 1743rd time.

But did watch t he last 2 minutes video on the AFL site. Will never not get goosebumps at the roar & crowd going up in the background when Stringer squares it to Dickson. I still remember watching it on TV & giving out a magnificent scream of joy when the ball was in mid air :rainbow:

GWS:

1. 2016 Preliminary Final.

Does this really need a summary?

2. Round 22, 2019.

Adam Tomlinson goals at the 23rd minute mark of the second quarter to give the Giants a 15-point lead. It would be their final goal. Get the popcorn ready. Richards. Lipinski. Smith. Dureya. Schache. Dunkley. Naughton. Dale. Lloyd. Schache. Lipinski. Dale. The great Mike Tyson would have been impressed with that knockout.

3. Round 9, 2015.

The previous meeting between the sides saw the Giants win by six points in the final round of 2014. It was our captain Ryan Griffen's last game in the Red, White and Blue. He now played for the arch enemy. Leon Cameron was now coaching the Plastics. We had their number one draft selection Tom Boyd. The rivalry was building. We got off to a flier in this game, opening up a 37-point lead at Quarter Time. The final three quarters were pretty even, as we ran away with a comfortable 45-point victory. Mitch Wallis was sensational with a career-high 36 disposals, getting three Brownlow votes. The win was extra important because it snapped a three-game losing streak.

Hawthorn:

1. 2016 Semi Final.

Another one that doesn't need a summary.

2. Round 14, 2009.

The Hawks were struggling, sitting in ninth position despite being the reigning premier. We were travelling a lot better, sitting third with a 9-4 record. The lead up to this match was big. The Hawks had smashed us in our previous meeting - the 2008 Qualifying Final. No one could have anticipated the way this contest would play out. It truly was a first half that I doubt we'll ever experience again. We led 60-2 at Quarter Time. We led 88-4 at Half Time. Simply remarkable. We won by 88 points. We should have won by over 100, but Aker (two goals + five behinds) didn't have his kicking boots on.

3. Round 10, 2008.

The undefeated Hawks sitting on top of the ladder. The third-placed Bulldogs sitting one and a half games behind. We won by 32 points to inflict their first loss of the season.

Melbourne:

1. Round 8, 1994.

The earliest game that appears on my list. The Dees were undefeated, sitting on top of the ladder. Our form was up and down, sitting outside the top eight with a 3-3 record. Although I was only eight, I can clearly remember the build up to this match. We'd won our previous two matches, which included a victory at Football Park against Adelaide. We also beat Brisbane comfortably on Mother's Day the week before. The Dees were 22 points up at Half Time and looked likely to extend their unbeaten start to the season. A six goal to two third term by the Scraggers saw the Bulldogs nose in front with a quarter left to play. Both teams exchanged blows in the final quarter. We held on to win a thriller by three points, with Big Ilija kicking a career-high six goals.

2. Round 12, 2000.

The Dees were 7th. We were 8th. We were coming off three consecutive victories, the latter two being interstate wins against Sydney and Fremantle by 58 and 93 points respectively. The Dees led by three goals at Quarter Time. When they led by 34 points at the main break, it looked like our winning streak would come to an end. A six goal to two third quarter (similar to the above 1994 clash) saw the Dees' lead reduced to just ten points at 3/4 time. A six goal to one final term saw us run away with a 25-point victory. Our fourth win in a row, seeing us climb to sixth on the ladder. The Dees would go on to finish in the top four. It was the first of four victories that we'd enjoy in the second half of the year against teams who'd go on to finish in the top four.

3. Round 20, 2015.

We'd won our previous three matches, the previous two by margins of 87 and 64 points. We'd go on to win this one by 98 points. It is the only time in our career that we've won three consecutive games by more than ten goals (a record we looked like matching at the end of 2019). This victory would solidify our standing within the top four on the ladder - a remarkable achievement from where we were at nine months earlier. The Dees actually won the third quarter in the match by a total of 31 points. That means if you only include the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters, we outscored them by 129 points.

Round 6 2004.

come back from 5 goals down at 3qt to beat north Melbourne.

cam faulkner on debut kicked 3 and looked to be a star. Johnno kicks the winner while falling over. Cooney has flowing strawberry blonde locks

1992 Round 12 Fitzroy v Footscray at Princes Park

Both teams where in the 6 – big game

Kicked 11 in the 3rd

Best thing was, we stuck-it to Roos :D

Fitzroy
4.2 6.5 6.11 11.18​
84​
Sat 06-Jun-1992 2:10 PM Att: 20,020 Venue: Princes Park
Footscray
6.2 9.10 20.13 22.14​
146​
Footscray won by 62 pts [Match stats]

1992 Round 12 Fitzroy v Footscray at Princes Park

Both teams where in the 6 – big game

Kicked 11 in the 3rd

Best thing was, we stuck-it to Roos :D

Fitzroy
4.2 6.5 6.11 11.18​
84​
Sat 06-Jun-1992 2:10 PM Att: 20,020 Venue: Princes Park
Footscray
6.2 9.10 20.13 22.14​
146​
Footscray won by 62 pts [Match stats]

And then the following year in round 18, we again beat Fitzroy 146-84.

1586068520698.png

I was at the Princes Park game and remember the Dogs kicking 11
Must have missed 1993 - Great double though
Should be 2 good-ones to watch :)
Yes, these are two worth watching with the same scoreline.

If I can also suggest not watching the following two:

1586069866769.png

1586069928532.png

Both matches also one year apart. Both matches Geelong win by 88 points. Both matches John Barnes gets three Brownlow votes. Both matches Ablett gets one Brownlow vote. Both matches Ablett kicks seven behinds.

Yes, these are two worth watching with the same scoreline.

If I can also suggest not watching the following two:

View attachment 852862

View attachment 852863

Both matches also one year apart. Both matches Geelong win by 88 points. Both matches John Barnes gets three Brownlow votes. Both matches Ablett gets one Brownlow vote. Both matches Ablett kicks seven behinds.

Great Stats

I was at Kardinia Park for this one
It was some time before we won again at the Park - but this was a great win
85 was a great year
Worth a watch :)

Geelong
7.9 10.13 14.19 17.22​
124​
Sat 29-Jun-1985 2:10 PM Att: 19,616 Venue: Kardinia Park
Footscray
7.3 12.6 17.8 23.8​
146​