Remove this Banner Ad

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
DINNER together one night, opponents the next, mates forever. That's the situation facing Nathan Brown and Robert Murphy as the Wizard Cup, kicks off tonight at Telstra Dome.

0,1658,322345,00.jpg

Ready to roar: Tiger Nathan Brown had dinner with some former Bulldog teammates early this week, but tonight he'll be going into battle against them.
Picture: Michael Dodge

Richmond recruit Brown had dinner with former Bulldogs teammates - Murphy, the prankster who shaved his head over the summer, and Daniel Giansiracusa - on Monday night.

Yesterday he had lunch with Murphy.

And, tonight, the word is that Murphy will sidle up to his mate when Brown goes forward.

While both clubs are trying to play down the "Brown issue" - is there really one? - there will be plenty at stake if Brown and Murphy match up.

Brown said it was possible.

"I don't know, it depends on where he (Murphy) lines up," he said.

"I tried to talk to him about it at lunch, but he just kept laughing."

Murphy's lips were sealed yesterday, coach Peter Rohde preferring to keep the Tigers guessing.

Brown and Murphy are best mates.

During the International Rules series in October they were inseparable, despite Brown's public exodus from Whitten Oval.

Brown's column on the Bulldogs website last year has been replaced by one from his mate titled I'm the Singer in the Band and Murphy is not shy in saying his words are funnier, wittier and better researched.

While Murphy was disappointed to see Brown leave, as a mate he understood and supported Brown's decision.

Brown says he's simply wants to play football again.

"I'm looking forward to it, getting out and playing again," he said yesterday.

The "Brown issue", he said, was not on his mind.

"The Bulldogs and what happened is not a long-distant memory, it wasn't a good year and I keep that in the back of mind to try to spur me on this year.

"But it is in the past. I'm at Richmond, they have been great and I'm just looking forward to the Tigers have a winning season."

The "friends issue" will always exist.

"I had dinner with 'Gia' and 'Murph' on Monday at Pellegrini's, and then I had breakfast with 'Westy' (Scott West) in Carlton the other day.

"We catch up on our days off, we've done it for last three years and we decided to keep it going."

Brown was meandering along Quay West yesterday when he spotted Murphy and joined him for lunch.

Brown will learn today where he will play -- likely to be a mix of midfield and forward -- and who was likely to pick him up.

At training yesterday he spent a decent time running drills from stoppages and ended the session as the designated full-forward.

With Matthew Richardson and skipper Wayne Campbell unavailable through injury tonight, Brown will pinch hit in both areas.

Tigers coach Danny Frawley wouldn't reveal his hand.

"He'll be around midfield, forward line, midfield, forward line . . . bit of both," Frawley said. "He's a chance to play at full-forward. He had two less shots than Matty Lloyd last year, so he knows where the sticks are.

"But we see him as a guy that can really help our (ball) delivery as well.

"He's been a great player for the Bulldogs and he's going to be a great player for us, so I think it's a good opportunity to get that one out of the road nice and early."

Brown is joined by new players Tom Roach, Shane Morrison, Luke Weller, Ben Marsh, Simon Fletcher and Shane Tuck in the Tigers squad.

Weller will play key back and Morrison probably key forward.

"We just want to be competitive," Frawley said.

"We obviously didn't play that well last year, so we just want to make sure that we've got 24 fit guys and a lot of young guys out there who are going to relish the contest."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,8733674%5E20322,00.html

Lets hope that miller and brown next year can try and snap up murphy aye? Great quality player in our back half haha. Also since browny is friends with tarrent....... hmmmm

Also just like to say i am sick of them saying that tuck will get a run when he wasnt selected. Look at the team list u stupid papers

Originally posted by wrennyboy
Lets hope that miller and brown next year can try and snap up murphy aye? Great quality player in our back half haha.

You can try but he signed for two years at the end of last season. He's the one we really wanted to keep.

WE may, however, have another Hudson type you can give a benefit year to.:D

WE may, however, have another Hudson type you can give a benefit year to.

Worth a punt after the David Thorpe benefit year. :)
The least we could do after you took Justin Pickering.

As for the next Hudson, you can keep Harro now.

Originally posted by Fishfinger
Worth a punt after the David Thorpe benefit year. :)
The least we could do after you took Justin Pickering.

You forgot the Robert McGhie two year benefit

As for the next Hudson, you can keep Harro now. [/QUOTE]

Now how did you know I was thinking of the big dud whe I posted this?

You forgot the Robert McGhie two year benefit

Thanks local, I'd forgotten Bones.
You guys have certainly off-loaded some decent players, not that you need to be reminded. I hope Jade kicks arse for you because you're certainly owed a few.
I'll be looking at all the blokes with prams tonight to see if I can put faces to posters on your board. Seems like they're all taking babies, probably to get their first taste of the great Richmond club song. :)
Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back