Toast Bevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Cori

All Australian
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I had a look back to find the Bevo thread but couldn't, so I'm making this one.

"I'm an emotional man." His last press conference just underlines how much he loves and respects the boys in his care. He is such a father figure in the way he goes about shielding, mentoring and coaching the squad and I am so glad he is at the helm of our club. It's not even possible to compare his integrity and conviction to coaches like Brad Scott or Ross Lion. The honesty that comes through during his press conferences is such a rarity these days.

So here's to you Bevo! You're like my favourite uncle I never met!

He's definitely a coach the boys would want to play for. We may not get up on Friday night, but you just know the boys will give it absolutely everything that they've got. If we do find a way to win. If we do find a way to win on Friday night, it will be easily the biggest moment under Bevo so far.

I reckon Bevo and his way of doing things, the emotion and passion he conjures, is the way the Bulldogs will topple the likes of GWS. They can have all those first rounders, but they don't have the brotherhood or the father figure to drag out that one last effort.

I had a look back to find the Bevo thread but couldn't, so I'm making this one.

"I'm an emotional man." His last press conference just underlines how much he loves and respects the boys in his care. He is such a father figure in the way he goes about shielding, mentoring and coaching the squad and I am so glad he is at the helm of our club. It's not even possible to compare his integrity and conviction to coaches like Brad Scott or Ross Lion. The honesty that comes through during his press conferences is such a rarity these days.

So here's to you Bevo! You're like my favourite uncle I never met!
Yes. Here, here. Loved this too. You can see in his words and mindset in the presser on Sat night, that he was clearly upset and not thinking straight. It was a pleasing thing for mine. Hope we have this guy for years to come!

Quite possibly the best coach to have ever coached our boys..

He reminds me so much of Terry Wheeler.

I loved Terry Wheeler as a coach and he was shafted unfairly in a knee jerk reaction after a loss in '94 (ironically against Geelong).

I remember in '92 after a prelim loss (also against Geelong - I bloody hate them so much).

Terry went onto the ground after the match threw his hands in the air as if to say 'we did all we could, but we weren't good enough' and you could see the tears in his eyes. So soon after '89, he knew the pain the club and supporters had been through and wanted it so much, but it just wasn't to be.

Scroll through to the 2 hr 03 minute mark.

Ever since I was a kid, that image has stuck with me. Today, Bev has given me another image that will stick with me for a long time. Amazing stuff.

Very proud and I can just tell we're going to be in Friday night up to our eyeballs.

Last edited:
I love what Bev has done for the club and the bond he has fostered amongst the boys, but his in game coaching isn't all that strong and team selection (which he is a major voice in) is baffling most weeks.

I think the selection and in game tactics heavily influence one another, so once he works one of these out the other will follow

To be honest, It is great to see coaches who care so much about their players that they get emotional.. A lot of people believe a good coach needs to be robotic and unemotional and not care, but thats such an old fashioned simple minded view (i bet even back in the older days they cared a lot, they just didn't show it)

cheers to Bevo :thumbsu: hope you guys get through the rest of the season unscathed.

I remember when i first met Bevo at the East meets West day. Took the time out to speak to the fans. Spoke to him about some structure crap and said if i was from SEN or something then took the time to actually ask me questions.

I actually felt important

Someone mentioned it in another thread (and was spot on) after Jon Ralph criticised us for being too much of an emotional club, but it's the kind of thing we as a club need, and what's going to push us up higher in the world. We're not the big club with a ton of fans and money, emotion and romance is a big part of what holds the walls together. It's a big part of what will keep our list together. It keeps the fans going during the s**t times, and makes them believe when things start to get better.
Bevo is the perfect coach for our list, and where we're at right now.

He reminds me so much of Terry Wheeler.

I loved Terry Wheeler as a coach and he was shafted unfairly in a knee jerk reaction after a loss in '94 (ironically against Geelong).

I remember in '92 after a prelim loss (also against Geelong - I bloody hate them so much).

Terry went onto the ground after the match threw his hands in the air as if to say 'we did all we could, but we weren't good enough' and you could see the tears in his eyes. So soon after '89, he knew the pain the club and supporters had been through and wanted it so much, but it just wasn't to be.

Scroll through to the 2 hr 03 minute mark.

Ever since I was a kid, that image has stuck with me. Today, Bev has given me another image that will stick with me for a long time. Amazing stuff.

Very proud and I can just tell we're going to be in Friday night up to our eyeballs.

Mate thanks so much for posting that video - been looking for it for ages! Loved the 1992 season.

Also on OT, yes, Beveridge is awesome. Great coach and passionate man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate thanks so much for posting that video - been looking for it for ages! Loved the 1992 season.

Also on OT, yes, Beveridge is awesome. Great coach and passionate man.

No worries mate. So many childhood memories in that video, it's as though it all happened yesterday.

Wynd, Coleman, Baxter, a young Leon Cameron and Chris Grant, Hawkins, Atkins, Kellett, Royal.

The win over the Eagles in the slosh at Western Oval and belting the Hawks earlier in the year. It's great to look back.

How good is this:

LUKE Beveridge cares and he’s not afraid to show it. This week he did something that came as a surprise.

Halfway through his mid-week press conference, he choked up. There were no flowing tears or sobs — just watery eyes and a constant clearing of the throat.

He had started this presser by attempting to deliver a clear message: “We’ve moved on — we have to.”

Beveridge was trying to convince us — the outside world — but I suspect he was also trying to convince himself.

Then, as he started to recall the scenes in the Bulldogs’ rooms on Saturday night, he couldn’t hide the fact he was still very much deeply affected.
There was Mitch Wallis, screaming in pain with a badly broken leg, surrounded by shattered teammates in tears. And Jack Redpath, solemnly standing in the corner, coming to the realisation he would need a third knee reconstruction.

When I noticed the tear in Beveridge’s eye on Tuesday, it was real. It wasn’t drama, he wasn’t searching for sympathy or, as one person on Twitter suggested to me, conceding defeat and admitting the Dogs season is done.

He was genuinely moved to tears. He was sad and he showed it.

That’s not ‘letting the emotions get the better of you’. That’s you being better by letting your emotions show.

I don’t know Beveridge well. But in my dealings with him over the past couple of years I’ve come to this conclusion.

He is different. He is softly spoken. He has a dry — and slightly odd — sense of humour. He is intrinsically kind and very respectful.

When he speaks to you, he looks you in the eye and takes in every word that you say. This may sound odd, but it’s rare as a journalist for someone to really listen to your question, assume you have a good reason for asking it and answer it so.

I’ve seen it from afar, as well. I was at Bulldogs training earlier this year when I saw a couple approach Beveridge to speak to him. He shook their hands and greeted them warmly.

At first, I thought they were introducing themselves, saying G’day to the coach of their club. But Luke spoke to them for such a long time and was so genuine and present in their conversation. So I figured they must have been friends — acquaintances, at the very least.

Then Luke hugged one of them — they were definitely friends, must be.

But as they parted, I overheard him say “nice to meet you”.

Then it dawned on me: This man’s care extends beyond his immediate circle.

Not just about his players, not just about his club. He’s just a good man with a good heart.

I hope little boys sat down and watched the news on Tuesday night and thought it’s OK to cry and feel sad. It’s not weak, it’s kindness and compassion.

Yes Beveridge is a little different, but he’s not afraid — not afraid of who he is or what that means.

He’s a tough man with a husky voice. And this week he choked up, in front of many cameras and, subsequently, into the loungerooms where hundreds of thousands of people were watching.

He’s comfortable with being a caring man and, combined with his captain Bob Murphy, it’s beautiful leadership.

I have no doubt, every young man who walks through the doors at Whitten Oval will be a better human for it. I’d certainly love to have him as a coach.

The Dogs aren’t the only ones lucky to have Luke Beveridge. We all are.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/luk...s/news-story/29f8e1a88ee2b3d177a054a0172ea224

That was by Neroli from Marnangrook right? Good article, complete contrast to everything else this week.

thanks - you just helped me put 2 and 2 together. I looked to see who the author was but I didn't register that she was from Marngrook (best footy show IMO)

I believe she is a doggies supporter.

That was by Neroli from Marnangrook right? Good article, complete contrast to everything else this week.
No, Neroli Meadows is a presenter on Fox Sports. She was at the press conference and you could tell she was moved by Bevo's show of emotion even though you obviously couldn't see her.

No, Neroli Meadows is a presenter on Fox Sports. She was at the press conference and you could tell she was moved by Bevo's show of emotion even though you obviously couldn't see her.
Never heard of her, but good to put a face to the article. Cheers for that.

thanks - you just helped me put 2 and 2 together. I looked to see who the author was but I didn't register that she was from Marngrook (best footy show IMO)

I believe she is a doggies supporter.
you can take your thanks back... i sent you the wrong way hahah. posts above are the correct answer. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back