Bicks on The Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Bicks will be on the footy show tonight.

He was on 5AA today, taking calls for half hour. He was asked by KG what he sees the future of the AFC as and Bicks said quite bright actually. A mountain is being made out of a mole hill. He said that a lot of youngsters are good enough but didn't get the opportunity they deserved because our focus for the lst 2 years has been to try and win the premiership. He said that the likes of Reilly, Schuback, Hentschel, Rutten and Bock will get a lot more opportunity next year and the club will go as far as they take it. It sounded like the club will focus on developing these youngsters instead of going all out and trying to win the premiership.

Bicks also said that the Crows are really keen to secure a young developing ruckman to take over from Matthew Clarke. He also said that we need another key defender.

With all this talk about getting a key defender, i am beginning to suspect that Parker is not really considered:(

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

With all this talk about getting a key defender, i am beginning to suspect that Parker is not really considered:(

Not necessarily Stiffy. I think Parker's almost a certainty to be promoted. But he's still not going to be the man for gorillas like Lynch.

Dare I say it?? croad

He said that the likes of Reilly, Schuback, Hentschel, Rutten and Bock will get a lot more opportunity next year and the club will go as far as they take it. It sounded like the club will focus on developing these youngsters instead of going all out and trying to win the premiership.

Bicks also said that the Crows are really keen to secure a young developing ruckman to take over from Matthew Clarke. He also said that we need another key defender.

No mention of Smith either? Do we take that to mean he's on the way out?

Re: Re: Bicks on The Footy Show

Originally posted by DaveW
No mention of Smith either? Do we take that to mean he's on the way out?
I would expect so. If we have a choice of keeping Smith or promoting Parker as similar types, surely it is a no brainer of a decision!

A mountain is being made out of a mole hill(

Totally agree with this. I honestly think that we could blood many of these youngsters and still make the finals. We have a lot of good talent playing really well in the SANFL, and they could be really dangerous if they could bring some of that form into the Crows. It'll definately keep the players on their toes to keep their positions next year.

Originally posted by brucetiki
Totally agree with this. I honestly think that we could blood many of these youngsters and still make the finals. We have a lot of good talent playing really well in the SANFL, and they could be really dangerous if they could bring some of that form into the Crows. It'll definately keep the players on their toes to keep their positions next year.
I don't think we will miss the finals next year but I cannot see us making the top 4 either especially if we are hit by injuries like we were this year.

Originally posted by macca23
Not necessarily Stiffy. I think Parker's almost a certainty to be promoted. But he's still not going to be the man for gorillas like Lynch.

Dare I say it?? croad
Macca23, I don't think Croad is the man for Lynch either.

We keep hearing we are after a big strong key defender who can play on the likes of Lynch. I have gone through each clubs list and the only key defender I thought might be up for trade is Hay. If he is to leave Hawthorn (Which I can't see happening) then his likely destination would be the Eagles.

It appears that we need same players that about 12 other clubs are also looking at.:(

Re: Re: Re: Bicks on The Footy Show

It appears that we need same players that about 12 other clubs are also looking at.:(

Yes, yes, yes Stiffy!! That has always been my point when talking about getting Croad.

About 12 clubs are all looking for the same thing. Ready made fixes for a lack of KPP's.

Therefore they will all chase the same players e.g. Hay, Rawlings, Richardson, Ottens, Lucas etc. which is why we haven't got a chance in Hades of getting them.

Because Croad has had a bad year this year, he is far less in demand than these other KPP's, and might just be obtainable.

While I accept there is an element of gamble in it, blind Freddy can see that his heart is not in it with Freo, and if we could convince him that the Crows were the right option for him, then I would expect him to play well, because ability doesn't just disappear.

Probably won't happen for us, but I reckon whoever shows the faith in him will be rewarded.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the Croad trade. However, if Croad leaves Freo then he WILL go to Melbourne. I reckon the chances of us getting Croad are as big as getting Ottens. ZILCH!!!!:(

I am telling you we will not get a big strong defender unless we overpay for one which really would be a very dumb thing to do. We should really forget this idea of getting a premiership in the next 2 or 3 years. We should consider some short term pain for long term gain;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by MarksGirl-kbcrowgirl
No to Trent Croad. I just don't think he is the solution to our problems.

k
xx

If you could find a solution to his problems you'd be a very rich woman...

Originally posted by dyertribe
If you could find a solution to his problems you'd be a very rich woman...

LOL - isn't her name Jo-Beth Taylor??? Nah seriously - if footy became his number 1 priority- he could become a good player but until it does - he won't cut it.

k
xx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back