Bumped Big swap in the wind (Menzel for Dangerfield)

Remove this Banner Ad

2 first round draft picks for an established midfielder with plenty of upside on the horizon?

Smedts has already shown more than what Dangerfield did in his first 4 or so matches....Wells wanted this kid so he must have really seen something in him that suggested he'll be a champion.

Perhaps compo pick + one of our young tall forwards?

there's an article in todays Hun suggesting we have enough to offer in trade picks & salary cap to pick up either Dangerfield or Boak without trading players.

Geelong don't need another youngster with their compensation pick, theyv'e got plenty of good ones. They'll want a ready made player

Can't trade for Beams, Collingwood always rate their players too highly, and I think it would take a player like Menzel plus the comp pick to get Dangerfield from Adelaide who wont want to lose him, but will that be worth it to Geelong? I think it would be, Wells rates Danger really highly, but the Crows(everyone) knows that.

Geelong need another established tall defender, thought they're usually good at developing their own, perhaps Wells has had his eye on somebody underperforming/injured/not getting a game at another club?

there's an article in todays Hun suggesting we have enough to offer in trade picks & salary cap to pick up either Dangerfield or Boak without trading players.
dream on . Dangerfields a jet and crows won,t give him up easy, it would take Menzel and second round pick l reckon .WOULD DO IT TOMORROW

I've got a hypothetical question for those people that don't mind answering a question that won't happen.

Is Smedts + our comp pick a fair trade for Dangerfield? :D

Probably yes (assuming the compo pick didn't end up being a top ten pick as we don't know exactly where we will finish on the ladder). The equivalent of say picks 14 and 15 is definitely not significant overs for a 22 year old midfielder with Dangerfield's abilities and current form.

But it doesn't matter because Smedts won't be offered, nor will Adelaide ask for him as I said earlier.

Obviously if we end up with a player like Dangerfield there will be some pain (i.e. we will probably lose a good player in the process) but Smedts won't be it, I can think of some other names on our list that are more likely than him.

Maybe but probably not.

The comp pick doesn't have huge huge value unless the recipient club expects us to finish bottom 8 in 2013 or 2014. While if we make top 4 this year our first rounder will be no earlier than pick 19 (because of all the activated compo picks). Those two picks would be close, but on their own not enough, they'd need something else on top. The question would be how much.

Did you hear Balme on the radio this morning?

He was typically blocking everything. He was quite funny.
When asked if Geelong wanted Dangerfield he said of course we do, and we want Goddard.

And then he was questioned regarding our recruitment policy. i.e we have no traded players.
He said effective as of this year the landscape has changed forever, and we're going to change with it.

I think the clubs strategy has been clear from the start of the year.
By not activating our compo pick indicates we will not be heavily involved in this years draft, there are 2 reasons for this.
1. We have 2 possibly 3 players on our rookie list that will be promoted at years end..Walker, Stringer and possibly Bunbury/ Bathie. They have been in our system for 2 or more years, know the structures and have developed their bodies. All are better options then an 18 year old kids that will need time.
2. Leaves us the option to use the pick to trade for a ready made player, as Balme has suggested.
We will try to pick some talent through the rookie draft and spend two years developing them ala Walker etc.
We have plenty of talented youth at the moment.Will be looking for a gun midfielder or ruckman if Vardy/Dawson don't come up.

I can't see us giving Danger up for anything. He is the face of our club and you would need to pay massive overs to get the marketing+coaching+development+recruitment agencies all on board. He is pretty much untouchable unless he does something crazy like puts himself in the draft and I can't see that happening. I don't see it happening even if you do have the coin and picks that are at his value/just above.

I can't see us giving Danger up for anything. He is the face of our club and you would need to pay massive overs to get the marketing+coaching+development+recruitment agencies all on board. He is pretty much untouchable unless he does something crazy like puts himself in the draft and I can't see that happening. I don't see it happening even if you do have the coin and picks that are at his value/just above.

Being the face of the club never stopped Ablett from leaving.

We may not have $10mil but we can guarantee success. We pride ourselves on it.

Thats like saying Judd can't go home for next to nothing.
Clubs aren't dumb when a player says "sorry, I'm going"

Well the Saints are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't let David the cat read this

"As sport decrees in this nation, the rise to the next level brings with it comparisons. So many Test cricketers were going to be ''the next Bradman''. It was always too great a weight of expectation to bear. Dangerfield has been compared with Gary Ablett junior, ''the next superstar'', a claim partly fuelled by the fact he has been backed from $201 to $34 to win the Brownlow Medal, and is still firming."

Being the face of the club never stopped Ablett from leaving.

We may not have $10mil but we can guarantee success. We pride ourselves on it.

You really can't. It's fickle to say you can.

Geelong were nearly half a century without a flag before breaking through in 07. You drafted well, landed a couple of freakishly good Father/Son selections and were blunt and severe in assessing your playing group at a critical juncture. An amazing run, and one that I've absolutely loved watching. My second club. But it's one generation of players; Geelong as an entity remains one of the smaller clubs in the game.

I wouldn't bank on continued success. Resources talk in this game, in the long run.

Being a Sth Australian Doesn't automatically include you in a trade to nab Dangerfield. May as well throw Varcoe's name in the mix too.

Time to become a little more serious with less fantasizing.

I agree.... Of course because Danger played at the falcons naturally he wants to play for us :p

Geelong were nearly half a century without a flag before breaking through in 07. You drafted well, landed a couple of freakishly good Father/Son selections and were blunt and severe in assessing your playing group at a critical juncture. An amazing run, and one that I've absolutely loved watching. My second club. But it's one generation of players; Geelong as an entity remains one of the smaller clubs in the game.

I wouldn't bank on continued success. Resources talk in this game, in the long run.

What an arrogant, unimformed post.

Since the introduction of the draft and salery cap, we've managed to play in the most finals and win the most matches.

There are many, MANY other reasons we'll remain a success also, but it's a Saturday night.

Don't let David the cat read this

"As sport decrees in this nation, the rise to the next level brings with it comparisons. So many Test cricketers were going to be ''the next Bradman''. It was always too great a weight of expectation to bear. Dangerfield has been compared with Gary Ablett junior, ''the next superstar'', a claim partly fuelled by the fact he has been backed from $201 to $34 to win the Brownlow Medal, and is still firming."

Groan. :rolleyes:

Look..Dangers a good player...and sure..love to see him at Geelong..... but the hype around him is a little extreme. Don't you think?

So now he's the next Gary Ablett....?? Why stop there???

Lets give him a loaf of bread and a can of sardines and see if he can feed the city of Geelong for a week.

Some of the trade suggestions have been frankly a bit disrespectful. If we can get Patrick Dangerfield, with some spare salary cap money all well and good...(assuming he wants to come to Geelong of course.).

Otherwise...lets stick to the script.

This is the kind of tripe that deserves months worth of a red card not the lame crap the bummer supporter posted a week ago.

Some of the trade suggestions have been frankly a bit disrespectful. If we can get Patrick Dangerfield, with some spare salary cap money all well and good...(assuming he wants to come to Geelong of course.).

Otherwise...lets stick to the script.

much better.

I am not saying we trade anyone. But please don't knock danger. He is good. Possibly very good

BTW Geelong have changed the script. They are trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back