Biggest AFL improvers

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
That's gotta be one of the best ones named yet. Cameron was below average at best in his early days, building slowly over the years, until he absolutely exploded in his 6th season. Now most would rate him a top 3 small forward, if not the best
Dude he kicked 5 goals v Geelong in a Prelim most people thought he was a huge loss to the Crows at the time he requested a trade.

Ted Richards - first AA nomination at age 28 or 29, really late bloomer.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Cale Hooker went from a bloke who couldn't kick and Essendon trying everything to trade him to AA FB and very capable clutch swingman.

Fan favourite is Chook.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure it counts but I would go with Charlie Cameron. There was nothing early in his career at Adelaide to indicate that he would become anything more than a reasonably servicable small forward. He has become a lot more than that now.
I don’t think this is quite true. Cameron had shown plenty of potential with his speed and tackling ferocity, just that in his first few years his goal kicking was erratic. He was a guy that you can see had all the traits to become a superstar, but just needed to remain focused and the sky’s the limit.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just to reiterate guys, we’re not interested here in the good players who turn elite. More interested in the ones who looked likely to get delisted, but then after some years, turned a huge corner to make you go “Whoa! Where did he come from?”

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Max Gawn. he floundered for about 5 or 6 years on the list, doing two ACLs, hamstring injuries, and generally being unprofessional like smoking durries before training. played a handful of games here and there in those early years but if he wasn't 6 foot 9 it's almost certain he would have been delisted long before then. then out of nowhere he turned into a star of the comp, won AA honours 4x, and now captain of the MFC. that's a pretty big turn around.

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe Rowan Marshall?

I believe he was playing VFL or something in Ballarat, got picked up, and his rise has been meteoric.

His improvement over a few seasons has been really clear and I reckon in a couple more well be a bonafide star.

Last edited:

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Easton Wood from Bulldogs. Became an elite defender in 15, 16 and 17. Was only ever solid before that.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Darcy Byrne-Jones. 2014 - 2015, he honestly didn't show that much in the SANFL and wouldn't have been shocked to see him delisted. Got a callup in 2016 and then until 2018 he was serviceable, did his job week in week out. The times he got dropped during this he would often have pretty average games in the SANFL, not 'racking up 50 disposals' a la Rocky. 2019 he comes second in our B&F, but we weren't much chop. 2020 he gets a spot in the AA and comes first in the B&F.

Maybe Rowan Marshall?

I believe he was playing VFL or something in Ballarat, got picked up, and his rise has been meteoric.

His improvement over a few seasons has been really clear and I reckon in a couple more well be a bonafide star.
Rookie list in 2017
Finished 2nd in the BnF in 2019
Now one of St Kilda's most important players.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
The Justin Westhoff thread. I couldn't understand for years how that bloke would get a game. Reached its peak when he gifted Gold Coast their first ever AFL victory after missing a shot after the siren.

Suddenly within a couple of years was an elite swingman who ever spent time in the ruck.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Max Gawn. he floundered for about 5 or 6 years on the list, doing two ACLs, hamstring injuries, and generally being unprofessional like smoking durries before training. played a handful of games here and there in those early years but if he wasn't 6 foot 9 it's almost certain he would have been delisted long before then. then out of nowhere he turned into a star of the comp, won AA honours 4x, and now captain of the MFC. that's a pretty big turn around.
Wow, I didn't know he did a couple of ACL's.

My fave Dee player.

Ablett jr went from a good yet inconsistent Foward/Mid to being the best player in the last 20 years
It wasn't until Leading Teams did its work with the footballers and coach at the end of the 2006 season that the penny dropped with GAJ

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dane Swan and Jobe Watson.

Both were viewed as slow, average players who couldn't kick early in their careers. Both were dropped multiple times in their first 3 seasons and there was talk of delistings (many thought Jobe was only kept on name). Both 'exploded' in their 4th years, becoming key mids and one of the primary ball winners in their side. Swan, in particular, went on to great heights with 6 straight AA's, MVP, Brownlow, etc.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett jr went from a good yet inconsistent Foward/Mid to being the best player in the last 20 years

Ablett averaged 30 goals a year across his 2nd to 5th seasons. There wouldn't be many people who have done that as a small forward. Exploded when he got the chance in the midfield sure but not like he was a crab to start with. He would have Dangerfield's 2nd to 4th season covered before he moved into a full time mid role at Adelaide for example.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dane Swan and Jobe Watson.

Both were viewed as slow, average players who couldn't kick early in their careers. Both were dropped multiple times in their first 3 seasons and there was talk of delistings (many thought Jobe was only kept on name). Both 'exploded' in their 4th years, becoming key mids and one of the primary ball winners in their side. Swan, in particular, went on to great heights with 6 straight AA's, MVP, Brownlow, etc.

Jobe only got really good after about 6 or 7 seasons. And only for 1 season.

Im not sure why.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Michael Walters.

Bordering on delist material before Lyon gave him a boot up the arse and banished him from training. Worked the campaigner outta himself and has had a very good career.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Alex Rance. I can remember a fair bit of scepticism early on about him even making it. There was a distinct possibility toward the end of 2010 that he might have switched clubs because of his inability to get a regular game. And this at a club that had finished second from the bottom in that year. Shane Edwards was another one. He was a whipping boy for years. Now apparently he's our Shaun Burgoyne.

Jobe only got really good after about 6 or 7 seasons. And only for 1 season.

Im not sure why.

Big surprise a shitpost from a s**t poster.

Jobe was a fat poor performing forward struggling to get a game and clinging onto a spot on the list due to his surname. In the 2005-06 pre season he slimmed down massively, pushing into the midfield and came 2nd in the B&F, this was six years before 2012. From 2006 he was top 10 in the B&F each year and won two of them before the 2012 season.

I'd say stick to the the SSP board but you're just as clueless there.

Back