Autopsy Biggest surprises in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it's a fair observation this has been one of the most even seasons since the history of AFL/VFL. It's almost a given that each week, there has to be 1 or 2 upsets. Top four teams are regularly getting beaten up by the bottom eight teams. Three top teams currently have all played in drawn games...
So what has been your main surprises of this year? It can be regarding a certain player, certain matches, or whatever else that's got to do with AFL in 2017. Go ahead, surprise us with your surprise!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most astute observers realised that Western had a lucky run in finals last year and played at a level way beyond themselves.

It seemed quite possible that they'd drop back to their true position this year.
I agree that they had a Lucky finals run, but they started the season off at 4 wins - 2 losses.

Realistically they should have made finals.

Has to be Richmond. The difference from last year was't predicted and it's hard to see the reason for the difference. The runs are on the board.

From a personal perspective watchibg the game unfold at AO round 1 was a rude shock, :cool: but it's history now.

Closeness of the season. No clear bad teams. Bottom two have 5 wins each and involved in very close loses.

Hawthorn's dramatic drop off is another surprise. Now I think they will drop off even more with the departures of Hodge and Gibbo.

Has to be Richmond. The difference from last year was't predicted and it's hard to see the reason for the difference.

Having a proper ruckman with presence at the stoppages goes a long way towards having everything else function correctly. They didn't have it in 2016 with Ivan Maric's injuries/decline, but they've got it now with Toby Nankervis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back