Autopsy Biggest surprises in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Most astute football followers would say they played incredible football in the last month and they deserved their success and luck had nothing to do with it. You are not an astute football follower, you sound as thick as plank.
7e4.jpg

The salt is real

Last edited:
I guess I gave you too much credit as I didn't think I'd need to spell it out for you, but yes.
I think you're confusing an opinion for a fact. Danger never dive as hard as he has when playing for the Crows in the past.
But if you think I'm a one-eyed Crows supporter, then no, I actually wish Danger all the best and think he is one of the best players to have play AFL. I'm not one of those that boos him when he plays against the Crows.

Sandilands being given another contract at 34 years old with a body of an 80 year old.

Priddis retiring.

GWS injury list has been truly staggering this whole year.

The complete lack of impact from recruits such as Vickery and Mayne.

Port or Richmond. I had both pegged for bottom 6. Genuinely thought the tigers would take out the spoon.

Always knew Tom Mitchell could run from contest to contest quite well and was a good player, but disgusting the amount of footy he's consistently won this year. Works his arse off more than peak Dane Swan. Just keeps on running and running.

Dogs and Eagles have shown a lot less backbone then I expected. Both have some bad losses on their CV and not many impressive wins - both deserve to miss finals.

North now fave to win the wooden spoon is also pretty surprising to me - I know plenty where soft on them at the start of the year but didn't think they'd be THIS bad.

And if honest I probably expected the Hawks to scrape a top 4 spot :$

Positive Surprises:
Adelaide - in particular their midfield. We already knew their forward line was great.
Richmond - Thought the loss of Deledio would hurt them but they've gone to a new level this year.
Essendon - We are finishing at the higher end of the range I thought we'd end up (thought 7-12). Our forward line has been a big surprise this year. I knew Daniher and Fantasia would be good (although they still exceeded expectations) but Hooker and Tippa have functioned really well as a support cast to give us 4 high goal scorers. Stewart has come along as a good 3rd tall option as well.

Negative Surprises:
Hawthorn - Thought they'd sneak into the 8. Happy to be wrong on this one.
Gold Coast - Surprised they haven't improved - it wasn't like the players they lost had played a lot of footy for them in 2016 either.
Bulldogs - I thought they'd make the 8 for years to come. Their forward line is horrible this year. Not one decent key forward on their list. I'm still wondering how we let them score so much against us - I guess it was just one of those days - hell JJ kicked 4 mostly from outside 50. What can you say. I still expect them to return to the 8 next year - I'm sure they can make some offseason moves to improve the forward line.
Fremantle - I thought they'd be better this year with the return of Fyfe and to a lesser extent Sandilands. Fyfe hasn't fired to his normal level (despite picking up steam in the last few games) and Sandilands only impacted for half a season (that's more expected). I can't understand why their midfield isn't better. It looks so good on paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised that Hawthorn dropped off so dramatically, but also more surprised at how we salvaged something from the season, I genuinely thought we'd bottom out and finish 17th and it was all about getting games into kids (which it was with a lot of injuries), but we actually played some decent footy this second half even with injuries.

Sandilands being given another contract at 34 years old with a body of an 80 year old.

Priddis retiring.

GWS injury list has been truly staggering this whole year.

The complete lack of impact from recruits such as Vickery and Mayne.

Vickery? Really? While we're on the topic another surprise was that he played twice the number of games as our other champion 'departee' Brett Deledio.

I think most astute observers realised that Western had a lucky run in finals last year and played at a level way beyond themselves.

It seemed quite possible that they'd drop back to their true position this year.

Similar to Port a few years back. They were a kick away from the Grand Final and then dissapeared into the wilderness for a couple of years.

Vickery? Really? While we're on the topic another surprise was that he played twice the number of games as our other champion 'departee' Brett Deledio.

You are not suprised with his lack of form this year?

I know he wasn't a world beater at the tigers but he did have his good moments and games from memory.

I cannot even remember a single moment in his AFL games this year that impressed me.

I didnt expect much from him but not as little as he has produced.

You are not suprised with his lack of form this year?

I know he wasn't a world beater at the tigers but he did have his good moments and games from memory.

I cannot even remember a single moment in his AFL games this year that impressed me.

I didnt expect much from him but not as little as he has produced.
Not at all mate. He has some ability but a shocking lack of 'fight'.

I agree that they had a Lucky finals run, but they started the season off at 4 wins - 2 losses.

Realistically they should have made finals.
Were a lot of late comebacks in those initial games iirc.
Bulldogs have won the same number of quarters this year as Collingwood and less than Hawthorn.

The Crows are the only team above 125% in their score percentage this season. Last year there were 4 teams all above 135%!
This stat highlights that there is much more evenness amongst the competition, and we're seeing a lot more of close matches!

The Crows are the only team above 125% in their score percentage this season. Last year there were 4 teams all above 135%!
This stat highlights that there is much more evenness amongst the competition, and we're seeing a lot more of close matches!
28 games decided by less than a goal? Lowest since before WW2?

Pies not making finals was the greatest surprise. All else was easily predictable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back