Opinion Booms and 0 Surprises.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the things Mckenna did in the second half of the season started to fit in Boom range. He was highly regarded by Hirdy (publicly) so it wasn't a total shocker though.

Fantasia is one of those players you get from outer space that can make you a contender in no time.

Boom/Bust magic act - Adam McPhee - from dominant AA half back to a stop-nprop brain farting liability within about 35 games.

Last edited:
Kinda feel like the Essendon version of the thread should be "duds and busts". We seriously love (overrate:eek:) our young players. There aren't too many surprises because of the expectation piled onto guys continuing to improve.

Everyone who is rating Razz as a boom, I bow with the greatest respects... but the year we enticed Hayden Skipworth over as an assistant, he'd coached him for a year in SA and had great wraps on his talent.

I more classify this as a 0 Surprise, not based on how he has come on, but more on what a coach who had 12 months with a kid could see in a developing small F50 player. We were just as lucky in getting Raz, as what we were in losing The Bont over a couple of drafts.

My Essendon boom would have to be Hird, by a Flemington straight. Taken at 79 in the 1990 draft and playing 253 games, the most of any in that draft of 94 players. doesn't get any boomier than that....

Everyone who is rating Razz as a boom, I bow with the greatest respects... but the year we enticed Hayden Skipworth over as an assistant, he'd coached him for a year in SA and had great wraps on his talent.

I more classify this as a 0 Surprise, not based on how he has come on, but more on what a coach who had 12 months with a kid could see in a developing small F50 player. We were just as lucky in getting Raz, as what we were in losing The Bont over a couple of drafts.

My Essendon boom would have to be Hird, by a Flemington straight. Taken at 79 in the 1990 draft and playing 253 games, the most of any in that draft of 94 players. doesn't get any boomier than that....
Yoi mean Nathan Bassett not Skipworth.

I think everyone else has got this right so far:
Booms: Hooker, Fantasia, Tippa and McKenna. Hooker was a late draft pick and a slowish developer so pretty surprising that he got this good. Fantasia wasn't as slow to develop and from his 2nd year he was making an impact in the seniors. Tippa took 4 years just to make it to the seniors list and even then he was barely considered to be fit enough but somehow he's just a great footballer (these days he's a lot fitter though). McKenna appeared pretty bad in his few senior outings and he just seemed like he would go down as one of those 'experimental picks' that didn't pan out. Then suddenly he reached a new level of maturity and now he's one of our more promising young players.

0 Surprises: Hurley (even in his first preseason everyone was talking about how good he was going), Heppell, Parish, McGrath and Daniher. All these guys were high draft picks and it never seemed in doubt that they would be very good players. All of them made an impact right away as well.

Current

Boom: Walla
No surprise: Hurley

Past:

Boom: Wellman
No Surprise: Tim Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back