Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you have Buckley back?
1. Buckley coached Collingwood to a Grand Final, multiple Preliminary Finals, and multiple other Finals Series.
2. I rated Buckley as a coach, was one of the few who supported the fact Collingwood stood firm with the succession plan (Malthouse was cooked, as exemplified by his behaviour in 2011, and his subsequent performance as Head Coach at Carlton).
3. I would have been happy for him to still be coach, and would have him back in a heartbeat with a different playing list (assuming a few of the current players needed a different voice).

You are going to have egg on your face if he doesn't improve his w/l ratio then aren't you?
If the list is primed to rise, then there cannot be any excuses.

Now about digging my heals in, what do you want me to do, lie?

The fact is, to date there is no evidence he is or will be a good coach, he may be, but i'm not convinced.

Also, if you want to quote my posts about what I think of Voss, then don't get all sooky and upset when I say the same things, just agree to disagree.
Mate you're getting worse,if we don't improve of course we're wrong, if we do i hope you like eggs, that's what debating the future means.

Mate you're getting worse,if we don't improve of course we're wrong, if we do i hope you like eggs, that's what debating the future means.
If I am wrong I am wrong.

But I can say right now right at this very time, I am right, because you can't show me any facts that says Voss is a better coach than his record suggests.

If that upsets you, sorry, but that is fact.

1. Buckley coached Collingwood to a Grand Final, multiple Preliminary Finals, and multiple other Finals Series.
2. I rated Buckley as a coach, was one of the few who supported the fact Collingwood stood firm with the succession plan (Malthouse was cooked, as exemplified by his behaviour in 2011, and his subsequent performance as Head Coach at Carlton).
3. I would have been happy for him to still be coach, and would have him back in a heartbeat with a different playing list (assuming a few of the current players needed a different voice).

We are starting to finally get there, see the bolded. Not just Buckley, we can throw Lyon, Brad Scott to that group, are they good enough to reach the ultimate glory with the "right list", none of us know. No one knows if Dew would have won a flag in his first year if he stepped into Chris Scott's first year, or the opposite.

Seriously the whole coach analysis is really pointless

All it would’ve took someone like Buckley to be a premiership coach is for an umpire to blow his whistle and few years later he is moved on. Coaches are bloody hard to judge. I know how bad Carlton’s list was when Bolton took over is exaggerated but when he took us to 6 wins in 7 games after a slow start in his first season it looked like we had an absolute ripper in charge. Fast forward two years and he was turfed.
As it has been mentioned, Clarkson with a good list equals good results, Clarkson with a poor list equals poor results.
It’s actually why why I was happy when we got Malthouse. We thought we knew what we were getting. Turns out it was a disaster.

Personally outside of Clarkson I don’t trust anyone who would’ve been available. 100% wanted Teague gone but also think he could’ve turned things around but that risk was too big to take imo. Voss I put in the same category as the majority of coaches where I have no idea if he will be good enough to still be there in two years. I am very confident he will change our game style to look more similar to most successful sides though and that will be a great start.

But I can say right now right at this very time, I am right, because you can't show me any facts that says Voss is a better coach than his record suggests.

I suppose you can show me that he's not then mate?

How funny

Is Cameron a better coach than the coaches that finished outside the 8? Hinkley a better coach than Goodwin 2020, different in 2021? Will it swap opinions if those 2 sides swap positions again?

It's not, if you might be wrong, you are wrong, as there is no clear trend, ever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect you would be in the vast minority of Carlton supporters if that is your opinion.

However, I suggest you are only saying you would have him back to support your line of argument.

Ask any Carlton supporter you like, my view is that a head coach is the least vital component to success and that is back by history. So unless that trend changes, no need for me to change my views

I suppose you can show me that he's not then mate?
You want me to show you his coaching record?

I can dig it up if you want, but I don't think that is what you meant.

No-one can show you he is going to be good or bad from here on in, only time will tell.

As I have stated many times, all we have is his record to date, and it's a worse w/l record than the coach you just sacked.

Quote me again and you will get the same answer.

No-one can show you he is going to be good or bad from here on in, only time will tell.

As I have stated many times, all we have is his record to date, and it's a worse w/l record than the coach you just sacked.

So Malthouse never won a flag at the Dogs, but won 3 at 2 different clubs. So your Voss argument doesn't pass any sniff test

But are you sure that's your opinion?

You are all over the shop mate, i asked you to show me that he's not a better coach NOW not years ago. You stated that he wasn't a better coach based on his Brisbane days, we won't know until next season.

I suspect you would be in the vast minority of Carlton supporters if that is your opinion.

However, I suspect you are only saying you would have him back to support your line of argument.
Stick to your own opinion and don't make anyone else's up.

You are all over the shop mate, i asked you to show me that he's not a better coach NOW not years ago. You stated that he wasn't a better coach based on his Brisbane days, we won't know until next season.
OMG, I think you are serious.

How can I show you he is a better or worse coach NOW when he hasn't coached since Brisbane.

I will say it again, we only have his coaching record to date, his w/l record TO DATE is worse than the coach you just sacked.

I will say it again, we only have his coaching record to date, his w/l record TO DATE is worse than the coach you just sacked.
And what is the significance of the raw career win/loss over that extended time period?

Have you read all my posts?

His record does not excite me like it does some, if he proves me wrong, good for him.
Who does his record at Brisbane excite?

Unhappily for Vossy he has inherited the most lop sided team in the competition, courtesy of the failed SOS years. The Club and fans have notoriously bigged up a fair old paddock of spuds into big headed pumpkins.

Can you imagine the conversations, eg

* "LOB the game footy requires you to lay the odd tackle and find the hard ball"
* "Dow and Setterfield - have you heard of defensive pressure? You will learn to apply pressure and play the most basic of roles. IDGAF where you were drafted."
* "Plowman - I don't care where SOS drafted you at the Giants, but you are currently one of the worst defenders in the Comp"
* "McGovern and Williams - just give up the KFC, work hard and you could be C+ players."
* "Stocker - you have a future as a run of the mill back pocket if you work hard."
* "Martin - you are flakier than a large Catholic family's years' friday night supply of fish and chips. Apparently you are paid money. How about you earn it."

Back