Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably right. Hopefully for the necessary list cleansing at the Blues, Voss uses Boak and Butters as benchmarks. Neither may be A graders talent wise but are A+ for absolute commitment.
Boak's had a great career and Butters will be a gun, don't worry about benchmarks, get Butters to Carlton Vossy.

Trying to rate the vast majority of coaches against another, let alone themselves year to year or at another club is the most bizarre analysis I see/hear.
If this is the case, why didn't Carlton persist with Teague?

After all, 'All coaches have pretty much the same ability', and 'coaches improve/change year to year'...

After all, 'All coaches have pretty much the same ability', and 'coaches improve/change year to year'...
On paper they have downgraded.

If I remember correctly it was the fans who pushed for Teague, now they are trying to convince us Voss will be a better coach.

There is no evidence except what he has done to date, but we are just wrong.

He over rated the Brions List. He will not make the same mistake this time. He is a good communicator. I expect around 10 or so players have been told they must deliver or be delisted or traded for Sanboys like SPS.
Did he overrate it, or did those above him overrate it?
Did well to get them to finals in his first year, then I think those behind closed doors might have started rubbing their hands together a bit too soon. Recruited Fev and it all imploded.
I'd be interested to know how they would've gone if they didn't get Fev and stayed on the path they were on.

No doubt we are renowned for being impatient, but every club have had these periods. Malthouse was moved on after winning a flag, Buckly wasn't offered another contract.

Coaching is more about the group now, rather than a single figure head, but what sets the better coaches apart is how they adapt when things aren't going well, whether that is year to year, in season or in game.

But still, comes back to the quality of your list at any given point/period

Did he overrate it, or did those above him overrate it?
Did well to get them to finals in his first year, then I think those behind closed doors might have started rubbing their hands together a bit too soon. Recruited Fev and it all imploded.
I'd be interested to know how they would've gone if they didn't get Fev and stayed on the path they were on.

yep.. The Fev recruitment was diabolical.

No doubt we are renowned for being impatient, but every club have had these periods. Malthouse was moved on after winning a flag, Buckly wasn't offered another contract.

Coaching is more about the group now, rather than a single figure head, but what sets the better coaches apart is how they adapt when things aren't going well, whether that is year to year, in season or in game.

But still, comes back to the quality of your list at any given point/period

Hmmn Buckley did have 10 years to prove what was obvious to all but the Moron McGuire

If I remember correctly it was the fans who pushed for Teague, now they are trying to convince us Voss will be a better coach.

Another incorrect generalisation. The fans selected the coach?

Not all of us were convinced that Teague would succeed and the jury is still out on Voss, like it is for Ratts, Dew, McCrae, Mitchell, Nicks, Noble. The same way many thought that Hardwick, Goodwin weren't going to make it

You're really digging your heels in over 39.72% vs 42%.
Reckon you've mentioned, or alluded to it, at least half a dozen times in the past few days.
Your piece of paper seems to be missing the parts about one coach having multiple seasons with double figure wins and one with none.
One coach having taken his team to finals and one shitting the bed against some easy competition when finals was a chance.
And one coach having an ageing, declining list, while the other had a young list primed to rise.

You're really digging your heels in over 39.72% vs 42%.
Reckon you've mentioned, or alluded to it, at least half a dozen times in the past few days.
Your piece of paper seems to be missing the parts about one coach having multiple seasons with double figure wins and one with none.
One coach having taken his team to finals and one shitting the bed against some easy competition when finals was a chance.
And one coach having an ageing, declining list, while the other had a young list primed to rise.
You are going to have egg on your face if he doesn't improve his w/l ratio then aren't you?
If the list is primed to rise, then there cannot be any excuses.

Now about digging my heals in, what do you want me to do, lie?

The fact is, to date there is no evidence he is or will be a good coach, he may be, but i'm not convinced.

Also, if you want to quote my posts about what I think of Voss, then don't get all sooky and upset when I say the same things, just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm fully aware your modus operandi is 'but what about your club?', but Collingwood being impatient with their coaches (again) isn't the best example.

Malthouse's final contract at Collingwood, at the end of 2009 after 10 years at the helm and it was a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not he would be extended, was a five year Contract - two as head coach, with a further three years as Director of Coaching. The fact he chose to walk away from that Contract after the first two years isn't on Collingwood.

Buckley had 9.5 seasons in the Head Coach's seat, and I suggest half of that time he had a large of of supporters calling for his head, though the club stuck by him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm fully aware your modus operandi is 'but what about your club?', but Collingwood being impatient with their coaches (again) isn't the best example.

Malthouse's final contract at Collingwood, at the end of 2009 after 10 years at the helm and it was a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not he would be extended, was a five year Contract - two as head coach, with a further three years as Director of Coaching. The fact he chose to walk away from that Contract after the first two years isn't on Collingwood.

Buckley had 9.5 seasons in the Head Coach's seat, and I suggest half of that time he had a large of of supporters calling for his head, though the club stuck by him.

Just stick to the footy content, rather than the perception of playing the poster

So, you can clearly see there is no set formula to arrive at the ultimate success ongoing, let alone being a finals side year after year, when it comes to coaches. While I would have preferred to have stuck fat with certain coaches, that doesn't mean moving on a coach limits success

I really have no idea why people get caught up with "this coach, over that coach" when history (and the future) will be littered with examples that a coach doesn't make a list

Come on, he's a completely different person since his time as coach of Brisbane.

We aren't allowed to use any elements of his performance there at all when predicting how he will perform at Carlton.
I reckon that's the first correct statement you've made on here.

That means you think he'll be the same coach again even though he has spent longer at Port.

Come on, he's a completely different person since his time as coach of Brisbane.

We aren't allowed to use any elements of his performance there at all when predicting how he will perform at Carlton.

You realise that there are countless examples (no clear precedent) when it comes to a coach from year to year and or coaching different clubs. Really worthless analysis

That means you think he'll be the same coach again even though he has spent longer at Port.
You realise that there are countless examples (no clear precedent) when it comes to a coach from year to year and or coaching different clubs. Really worthless analysis
Would either of you have Teague back as Senior Coach of Carlton in 2025, after he spends three years as Assistant Coach at Richmond?

What that means is I don't hold the same excitement some Carlton fans do.

If you want me to say it again, just keep quoting me.
He hasn't got a record that screams he is a good coach, he may well prove he is, but to date it doesn't show it, in fact his w/l record is worse than the coach you just sacked.

Just because he went to Port, does not mean he will be this changed great coach, it also doesn't mean he will be the same as he was at Brissy, but for now, his record is not good.

Back