Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With the current respective lists as a starting point, unproven Voss starts his tenure as Carlton coach in 2022, whilst proven Clarkson starts his tenure as Gold Coast coach in 2023.

Who are you backing to win a flag first?

Gold Coast for me. Comfortably. And it helps that Gold Coast's list is already better.

Your the one suggesting the coach is the most important factor, so that being the case, why would you say he was overrated?

But, before you start the deflections, answer the question, why did Clarkson miss finals 4 out of his last 5 years if he is considered one of the best coaches of the modern era?
Because any other coach would've missed all 5 years with that list?

Have always been in agreement with you on that.

List experience/games together > list talent > coaching, for mine. Though you do need all three.

Clarko’s Hawks had all three for a while there. Hence the dynasty.
Agreed - however once the list started sliding , the dynasty ended.
One of the poorer coaches at St Kilda[ and we have had a few] was Alex Jesaulenko . We also had Tony Jewell a premiership coach. Alan Joyce coached the Hawks to a flag in 91 before moving to Footscray.
These 3 coaches inherited great experienced talented lists and coached them to a flag. At other clubs they didn't weave their magic and I think there is a very obvious reason for this.

One of the poorer coaches at St Kilda[ and we have had a few] was Alex Jesaulenko . We also had Tony Jewell a premiership coach. Alan Joyce coached the Hawks to a flag in 91 before moving to Footscray.
These 3 coaches inherited great experienced talented lists and coached them to a flag. At other clubs they didn't weave their magic and I think there is a very obvious reason for this.
Yeah, slightly different era you're referring to there...

Totally agree. It’s the reason why I have your club rising next season, and the reason why I was so impressed by Melbourne this year, who were quite young as a list for such a dominant premier.

Experience is important.

God forbid the GC boys stick around and play 100+ games together.

Possibly, even probable, but that doesn't change that the list in the appropriate age/experience bracket is the most important factor
List is the most important factor. But is the best player more important than the coach?

Totally agree. It’s the reason why I have your club rising next season, and the reason why I was so impressed by Melbourne this year, who were quite young as a list for such a dominant premier.

Experience is important.

God forbid the GC boys stick around and play 100+ games together.
Yes - Clarko I suspect is waiting for Tassie to enter the comp , but if he tries his hand at Gold Coast at the end of next year, it may answer a lot of our questions on the importance of the head coach in the modern AFL.👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't even do the comparison, you could win a flag missing both, if the rest of the list had the appropriate quality/experience
List is obviously the most important factor. I remember Ross Lyon jokingly tongue -in -cheek say Nick Riewoldt made him a better coach.

My take.
A coach will not win without a good list.

A good list will not win without a good coach.
Reckon the Saints from 2004 -2006 had the equal to best list in the comp under Grant Thomas. Couple of prelims and elimination final loss in those 3 years. He got them to where he got them. Knocking on the door. Would have been interesting what a top coach would have achieved with that list!

Reckon the Saints from 2004 -2006 had the equal to best list in the comp under Grant Thomas. Couple of prelims and elimination final loss in those 3 years. He got them to where he got them. Knocking on the door. Would have been interesting what a top coach would have achieved with that list!

Found that strange, coach being replaced after making finals and still growth in that list

Could also go backwards as well.

Sometimes the coach and players just gel, like a well oiled machine/family, just my opinion, but some teams like Geelong were so well drilled once they hit top form anyone could coach them.
Other teams like Richmond needed Hardwick.

Back