Rumour Brisbane Lions Player Welfare Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact I did listen to the actual podcast.

“I was told about the people who were involved in it. I said that is, I don’t believe that, and they said that is a fact. If I told you the people you would know its a fact. I said I don’t believe that. They said that is a clinical fact and it has been confirmed by a former administration at the Brisbane Lions. And I said I still don’t believe that until someone can come to me and say that happened. I didn’t have to alert anyone the people who were involved [at the football club they knew] they did.”

Which is why I wrote that there needs to be an investigation to see what happened and not that I believed what he was saying. There needs to be an investigation as you can’t have a public figure make these claims and then have the administration (AFL, Brisbane etc.) do nothing about it.

Exactly
Quote: They said that is a clinical fact and it has been confirmed by a former administration at the Brisbane Lions. And I said I still don’t believe that until someone can come to me and say that happened: Unquote

Not once did Sam mention what suddenly led him to believe it !!!

Let's wait and see if sam has the guts to bring it up on the Booty Show this week - or was he simply trying to stir up some controversy on a little listened podcast in the hope that someone else runs with the story and he then claims the credit for it if it is actually true.

Exactly
Quote: They said that is a clinical fact and it has been confirmed by a former administration at the Brisbane Lions. And I said I still don’t believe that until someone can come to me and say that happened: Unquote

Not once did Sam mention what suddenly led him to believe it !!!

So we’re on the same page then. There needs to be some clarity as to what “it” was that made him believe it.

I accept that any Tom, Dick or Harry can sprout off rumours, innuendo, half truths etc but if a person that is in the public domain (irrespective of what you think of them) makes an allegation of this seriousness then they either need to provide evidence (or an investigation is held to uncover it) or retract it.

So we’re on the same page then. There needs to be some clarity as to what “it” was that made him believe it.

I accept that any Tom, Dick or Harry can sprout off rumours, innuendo, half truths etc but if a person that is in the public domain (irrespective of what you think of them) makes an allegation of this seriousness then they either need to provide evidence (or an investigation is held to uncover it) or retract it.
I wouldn't call this podcast the public domain exactly.
As I said previously - let's see if he has the guts to bring it up on national TV.
All he has to do is tell us what made him believe the story instead of covering his arse and stating that he didn't believe it yet still making the story public.
As far as the record shows - sam doesn't believe the story and therefore is not liable (or as some would say - gutless)

If true it's absolutely abhorrent - but sam has form with regards to feeding us bull s**t simply for the sake of getting people talking about sam.

Having listened to the podcast, to me its pretty clear that he does believe it. He said a couple of times 'it is a fact'. I think what he was getting at when saying that he didn't believe it initially is that he was so shocked that something like this could happen, but after he was told a number of times about it seemingly by different people he ended up having to take them at their word

He says "its a fact" once yet still won't tell us why he knows its a fact.

He then states 2 times that "they said its a fact" and then that "they said it is a clinical fact"
He then said that he "still won't believe it until someone comes ..." but was then interrupted by Mike.

Grunt Thomas then states that "The AFL knew about it, I'm sure they knew about it - i'd be very surprised if the AFL didn't know about it as well"

The only thing this podcast is missing is Terry Wallace seeking self promotion.

He says "its a fact" once yet still won't tell us why he knows its a fact.

He then states 2 times that "they said its a fact" and then that "they said it is a clinical fact"
He then said that he "still won't believe it until someone comes ..." but was then interrupted by Mike.

Grunt Thomas then states that "The AFL knew about it, I'm sure they knew about it - i'd be very surprised if the AFL didn't know about it as well"

The only thing this podcast is missing is Terry Wallace seeking self promotion.

The only way he could know it's a fact is if he was literally in the room when it happened

The only way he could know it's a fact is if he was literally in the room when it happened
So why does he keep using the word fact.
As I said before, if he has the balls to bring it up on the footy show my ears will prick up - otherwise it is just another sam newman attention seeking episode.

My sister was good mates with a young guy who committed suicide, in that same circle of friends was a fresh young Adelaide Crows recruit, the recruit was very close to the young man.

Young recruit tells the Crows he needs time off to attend the funeral and won't be available for selection, Gary Ayres: "fine, but don't bother coming back if you go".
Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to know out of that story who to blame, based on on the insinuation that either Gary Ayres or the AFC are completely heartless?

Gary's family, because they were heartless campaigners? Hawthorn, because they helped shape Gary and they are ruthless and heartless campaigners? Geelong, because Gary tried hard, and they treated him like a campaigner because he couldn't quite crack it? Or Adelaide because well, they are a bunch of heartless campaigners too?

Or maybe its the AFL industry in general? Or maybe people within our society? Heartless campaigners everywhere.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to know out of that story who to blame, based on on the insinuation that either Gary Ayres or the AFC are completely heartless?

Gary's family, because they were heartless campaigners? Hawthorn, because they helped shape Gary and they are ruthless and heartless campaigners? Geelong, because Gary tried hard, and they treated him like a campaigner because he couldn't quite crack it? Or Adelaide because well, they are a bunch of heartless campaigners too?

Or maybe its the AFL industry in general? Or maybe people within our society? Heartless campaigners everywhere.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your story
Who's to blame? The industry i guess, that was 20 odd years ago though, don't think they had welfare managers and such back then.

So they walked in as he had his head in the noose? Pretty good timing...

So why does he keep using the word fact.
As I said before, if he has the balls to bring it up on the footy show my ears will prick up - otherwise it is just another sam newman attention seeking episode.

You're a dead set peanut. No matter your opinion of Sam, he wouldn't make this up for shock value. Grant Thomas wouldn't say he knew about it unless he believed it as well. This podcast isn't highly regulated like TV and they can freely speak about anything, and they don't have to 2nd guess themselves.

I don't think it has anything to do with having the "balls" to bring it up, i'm sure he would if he was allowed to.

It's a very serious allegation that needs to be investigated. There are extreme pressures on the young people in this industry. Particularly on those in the fringes, where the competition for places often results in devastation for kids. They are encouraged to believe that they are going to be stars, and most of them are in for a shock.

You're a dead set peanut. No matter your opinion of Sam, he wouldn't make this up for shock value. Grant Thomas wouldn't say he knew about it unless he believed it as well. This podcast isn't highly regulated like TV and they can freely speak about anything, and they don't have to 2nd guess themselves.

I don't think it has anything to do with having the "balls" to bring it up, i'm sure he would if he was allowed to.
Cheers Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back