Brisbane Offseason 2013 - Exodus Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Perhaps it's not just homesickness

Oh, almost certainly. I'm just curious as to why Melbourne fans would know about the balance between homesickness and other factors better than anyone. It seems like Brisbane fans would already be better positioned to make that judgement.

Over our history we've lost many players to homesickness (O'Bree, Clarke, Hadley, Headland) and players to 'homesickness' (Mitch Clark).

Interesting that the Longer deal hasn't been a part of any of the trades that have been done, especially the Polec one. Makes me think that we won't be accepting 25.

Oh, almost certainly. I'm just curious as to why Melbourne fans would know about the balance between homesickness and other factors better than anyone. It seems like Brisbane fans would already be better positioned to make that judgement.

Over our history we've lost many players to homesickness (O'Bree, Clarke, Hadley, Headland) and players to 'homesickness' (Mitch Clark).

You don't get a bunch of players leaving all wanting to leave at the same time because of homesickness.

But really, believe what you want to believe. If Brisbane are foolish enough to convince themselves it's just homesickness then they won't fix the actual problem meaning players will continue to want to leave which is good for all the other clubs.

You don't get a bunch of players leaving all wanting to leave at the same time because of homesickness.

But really, believe what you want to believe. If Brisbane are foolish enough to convince themselves it's just homesickness then they won't fix the actual problem meaning players will continue to want to leave which is good for all the other clubs.

You seem not to have read my post.

I totally agree that there are other factors at play here. I'd have thought that was pretty clear, but apparently not.

You seem not to have read my post.

I totally agree that there are other factors at play here. I'd have thought that was pretty clear, but apparently not.

So why get hung up on homesickness? I was referring to Melbourne supporters understanding how a s**t culture can lead to players wanting to leave

So why get hung up on homesickness? I was referring to Melbourne supporters understanding how a s**t culture can lead to players wanting to leave

But surely you appreciate that there's more going on here than that? None of these players have requested a trade to just anywhere. They've all wanted to go back to their home cities.

I just don't see the parallels with the Demons. This is a familiar story for Brisbane. Even when we were the strongest team in the country we still had players asking for trades back home. It's just that for a variety of reasons there've been a whole stack in one season.

But surely you appreciate that there's more going on here than that? None of these players have requested a trade to just anywhere. They've all wanted to go back to their home cities.

I just don't see the parallels with the Demons. This is a familiar story for Brisbane. Even when we were the strongest team in the country we still had players asking for trades back home. It's just that for a variety of reasons there've been a whole stack in one season.

Ok fine, situation is normal, there's nothing wrong at Brisbane, sweet

Ok fine, situation is normal, there's nothing wrong at Brisbane, sweet

Mate, you actually need to read posts before you quote them and respond to them.

Anyway, hopefully a big win for the Victory tomorrow night against the Roar.

We all know this is not just about "homesickness" most of these players are taking advantage of the system to end up where they wanted on draft day, this will be more common for all young players, this is not a Brisbane issue alone. There must be contributing factors at the club, but it was also a year where many of our current stars re signed, this is also lost on most.

Correct me if I'm wrong Brisbane supporters but you are now likely to head in to the draft with picks 7, 22 + 34 (Polec), 28 (Yeo), 33 (Docherty) and probably 25 (Longer) not to mention something for Karnezis.

With 4 and possibly 5 picks between 22 and 34 would it not make sense to get small pick down grades on a couple of them for players in that 20-23 year old age that you are losing so much talent from?

Because as it stands considering teams draft lists spread out from pretty similar at the top to much different by the middle and later picks you are very chance to get the same guy at pick 34 with pick 44 considering you would have had 6 picks by then.

I'm talking about swapping pick 34 to Melbourne for pick 40 and Sam Blease or deals similar to that with players from other clubs.

I would've thought it would be wise to bring 1 or 2 guys in on 1 or 2 year deals just to keep some pressure on the best 22 that might not come from kids drafted in the 20's and 30's some of whom will be ready but some who wont be. If my theory on teams draft lists is correct it's pretty much a free swing. Considering you've lost 2 half backs and 2 outside mids you could take a player like that from another club for no charge and not lose much.

The other option would be combo up the picks for better picks or players but I feel if that was the case it would've been done or at least lined up by now

Correct me if I'm wrong Brisbane supporters but you are now likely to head in to the draft with picks 7, 22 + 34 (Polec), 28 (Yeo), 33 (Docherty) and probably 25 (Longer) not to mention something for Karnezis.

With 4 and possibly 5 picks between 22 and 34 would it not make sense to get small pick down grades on a couple of them for players in that 20-23 year old age that you are losing so much talent from?

Because as it stands considering teams draft lists spread out from pretty similar at the top to much different by the middle and later picks you are very chance to get the same guy at pick 34 with pick 44 considering you would have had 6 picks by then.

I'm talking about swapping pick 34 to Melbourne for pick 40 and Sam Blease or deals similar to that with players from other clubs.

I would've thought it would be wise to bring 1 or 2 guys in on 1 or 2 year deals just to keep some pressure on the best 22 that might not come from kids drafted in the 20's and 30's some of whom will be ready but some who wont be. If my theory on teams draft lists is correct it's pretty much a free swing. Considering you've lost 2 half backs and 2 outside mids you could take a player like that from another club for no charge and not lose much.

The other option would be combo up the picks for better picks or players but I feel if that was the case it would've been done or at least lined up by now

On the lions website, they stated there will be more trades tomorrow. So you never know.... we could turn it around but also... we do pick well from pick 20 to 34... look at our history with those picks

Situation After Yeo, Docherty, Polec trades.

IN: 7, 22, 28, 33, 34, 48, Freeman (Academy), McGuane + Whatever we get for Longer. Might get Jackson Paine too.

OUT: Black, Docherty, Yeo, Polec, McKeever (, Longer & Karnezis).

Obviously 10 ins (assuming the Longer deal is a straight swap, which in the end it probably won't be considering the situation) and 7 outs don't work. So we NEED to package some of our 2nd round picks up for a first round pick (or more preferably...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the big scheme of things we haven't done too bad considering our compromised situation. It's far from a great day for our club, but with so many players wanting out we had zero leverage. With our picks the way they now stand we are very strong in the second round, and there are a few teams that will want to deal with us tomorrow to get into this round i'm sure. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for our club. Hoping the Longer & Polkinghorne to StKilda for pick 3 deal comes off :D

In the big scheme of things we haven't done too bad considering our compromised situation. It's far from a great day for our club, but with so many players wanting out we had zero leverage. With our picks the way they now stand we are very strong in the second round, and there are a few teams that will want to deal with us tomorrow to get into this round i'm sure. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for our club. Hoping the Longer & Polkinghorne to StKilda for pick 3 deal comes off :D
If something like that happened then the farce that was today would be nearly forgotten about (Polec deal farce).

A key forward with a great set of hands but not a great kick and lacks in defensive pressure
True, he's got a great grab, marks the ball almost like Stewie Lowe, but by all accounts his work rate isn't AFL standard. I've been surprised the last two years he hasn't been used as trade bait, as he's had a long time in the system now. If he doesn't have a good year under a new coach this year i'm sure he'll be gone.

Whose Cornelius?

Brisbane fans say Key Forward but I say he's more of a third tall. Not quite big enough or physical enough to get a game on marking and kicking goals alone. Would've been a classic full forward of the 1990's but those days have gone.

Therefore he needs to add defensive pressure and time up the ground if not midfield to succeed at AFL.

In that regard I'd say the saints wouldn't be too interested because Tom Lee is a similar and better version and even has a centimeter or two on him. For that reason if I were the saints I'd stay away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back