Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

buddy didnt make a mistake. he made himself very rich. its sydney that made the massive mistake.

This has been a common theme through the thread but it makes little sense - tis is Buddy Fing Franklin we're talking about! It would be pretty hard to avid getting rich when you are as good as he is. He might be marginally richer (though not by much after tax) than he'd have been if he stayed. But then again if he had stayed and we'd still won the three (which of course is by no means certain) how much might he be making from merchandise of various kinds?

Point is anyway, getting rich was inevitable for Buddy. Winning more than 2 flags and having a more satisfying career is still up in the air. Maybe he wins more at Sydney in the coming years and Hawthorn take a long time to compete again. Maybe not. But clearly he has reasons to wonder about what might have been. Money is a given. Success is not.

This has been a common theme through the thread but it makes little sense - tis is Buddy Fing Franklin we're talking about! It would be pretty hard to avid getting rich when you are as good as he is. He might be marginally richer (though not by much after tax) than he'd have been if he stayed. But then again if he had stayed and we'd still won the three (which of course is by no means certain) how much might he be making from merchandise of various kinds?

Point is anyway, getting rich was inevitable for Buddy. Winning more than 2 flags and having a more satisfying career is still up in the air. Maybe he wins more at Sydney in the coming years and Hawthorn take a long time to compete again. Maybe not. But clearly he has reasons to wonder about what might have been. Money is a given. Success is not.
Yep. It's not like he couldn't have made some money elsewhere. Even in Sydney too! Just such a bad bad decision

I am sure he will be regretting nothing when he is being paid $1,500,000 at the age of 35.

Good play Lance, though not sure Sydney will be enjoying juggling the cap at that point in time, especially if their kids all become stars.

Tippett could have regrets too, could have been in a Crows winning flag side this year, but I am pretty sure Moneys only regret is not buying the Mercedes instead of the BMW :p

You make it sound like we have missed finals every year and he is a spud player now. That would be a disaster.

Franklin moving to Sydney has been far from a disaster. He has played in 2 more GFs, still dominating the league as an individual and appears happy with his lifestyle.

Ablett to the GC is way more questionable than Franklin to Sydney.
True, disaster was over the top. Disappointment would sum it up better..

How many of those seasons were seasons where the Swans relied upon him heavily? Imagine playing at a club where you are the perfect cream on top
Very few sides would be able to land him and have him as the cream on top. You're talking about the best CHF ever (or close to). I'd probably argue that at Hawthorn he would have been more a cream on top player in 14-15, then again, I think you played better without him.

It's not easy to win premierships. Sydney came up against arguably one of the best GF sides of the century in 2014, I doubt many other sides would've rolled Hawthorn that day (Geelong 07, Brisbane 03 are on par).

2016 was disappointing, Buddy rolled his ankle in the first quarter but there were some pretty poor performances from his teammates. Tippett, Parker, Rohan.

I think he has done well enough, he has certainly early his money and since being at Sydney has kicked almost 300 goals. I reckon it'll be more Sydney disappointed they haven't won a flag with that list. 2016 was a disaster for them.

Very few sides would be able to land him and have him as the cream on top. You're talking about the best CHF ever (or close to). I'd probably argue that at Hawthorn he would have been more a cream on top player in 14-15, then again, I think you played better without him.
What about 2013? Gunner was our go to tall forward that finals series. Buddy played a cameo role

Although he would want to win one there he didn't go there for a premiership.

Despite it being a success off-field - given the contract they gave him, the players it cost them, ultimately costing them cola and a factor in their trade ban, they would want to win a premiership or two with him to truly vindicate the deal. That's what the game is all about at the end of the day.

Hodge kissing him didn't help matters. Personally I don't think Franklin is necessarily 'envious' of his former teammates but reacting to all the teasing he cops every time he plays Hawthorn. With Hodge gone I suspect Franklin will tone down the theatrics when he plays Hawthorn next year.
He is envious, naturally.

Hodge not being won't change a thing.

That may be true but didn't he almost put Hodge in a coma last time they played?
Just because players run through each other doesn't mean they aren't good mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The GWS question is not just a retrospective question. 5 more years at that powerhouse? With Buddy? Flagorama
I disagree. If Buddy went to GWS they never would have gotten Mumford. With Buddy going to Sydney, Sydney lost Mumford. IMO if you had a team consisting of Mumford and Buddy with a couple of reasonable mids, that team would be unstoppable. Mumford was a big reason why Sydney won the premiership in 2012. Mumford is one of the reasons why GWS is a juggernaut.

I disagree. If Buddy went to GWS they never would have gotten Mumford. With Buddy going to Sydney, Sydney lost Mumford. IMO if you had a team consisting of Mumford and Buddy with a couple of reasonable mids, that team would be unstoppable. Mumford was a big reason why Sydney won the premiership in 2012. Mumford is one of the reasons why GWS is a juggernaut.

You seen Mumford lately

You mean like Sydney's Premier Partner?

the-star-letter-night.jpg

This from 2014
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/only-5-clubs-profit-without-pokies-20140325-zqmvj.html

"Even Hawthorn, the 2013 premier and one of the game’s most financially robust clubs, had a profit that was assisted by pokie earnings. The Hawks made a healthy profit of $3.1 million in 2013, but they are understood to have earned more than $4 million from their lucrative Waverley Gardens gaming venue, and have plans to earn more from their new Caroline Springs venue."

Your club is nothing without this revenue. In 2017 you were even more reliant.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4820370/afl-teams-cashing-in-on-club-owned-poker-machines/?cs=7

No Buddy has no regrets.

This from 2014
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/only-5-clubs-profit-without-pokies-20140325-zqmvj.html

"Even Hawthorn, the 2013 premier and one of the game’s most financially robust clubs, had a profit that was assisted by pokie earnings. The Hawks made a healthy profit of $3.1 million in 2013, but they are understood to have earned more than $4 million from their lucrative Waverley Gardens gaming venue, and have plans to earn more from their new Caroline Springs venue."

Your club is nothing without this revenue. In 2017 you were even more reliant.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4820370/afl-teams-cashing-in-on-club-owned-poker-machines/?cs=7

No Buddy has no regrets.

Sydney don't do pokies as it's not that lucrative in Sydney not a moral stand or anything

There were plenty of other teams he could have joined in 2013. West Coast, GWS, Freo. I am certain each of these teams at the time would have given a better opportunity of a flag.
So despite none of them having a greater opportunity at a flag since Franklin moved to Sydney, you're CERTAIN they would have given a better opportunity at a flag.

Sums up the thread, really.

You do realise not every player gives a **** about premierships? He has snagged himself a couple, got himself into a few more. You think he's gonna look back and be upset he didn't win a premiership every year?

Hawthorn are done so the OP is trying to keep them relevant by rehashing the glory years and what Buddy could have won. Buddy would have zero regrets bar maybe last night's result.

He's one cog in a machine. Since coming to Sydney he has played in two Grand Finals along with winning two Coleman medals. He can't win flags by himself when other players go missing. Everyone needs to be on in those games. Unfortunately it doesn't happen.

Outside of football he moved for the woman he loves and has married. He seems to be working to a career post football with fashion etc and he is outside of the Melbourne bubble.

I doubt he has many or if any regrets at all. This whole notion that Buddy alone should be winning flags is laughable.

Hawthorn won plenty of flags in recent times without the realiance on one playee. Need to be well drilled across the park.

Back