Bulldogs World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not just about a good manager, which Guus was, it is about a whole plan for the national team at all levels. The FFA have not got a clue. Fozz's comments were right on the money for mine.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Until soccer in Australia stops demanding parents fork out thousands of dollars in fees to get their kids into elite pathways, soccer will struggle in Australia IMO.

Until soccer in Australia stops demanding parents fork out thousands of dollars in fees to get their kids into elite pathways, soccer will struggle in Australia IMO.
My nephew in Scotland had to pay for every training session as well as the customary yearly fees. I went to
several junior competitions and you had to pay to watch ten year old kids and to park the car.

My nephew in Scotland had to pay for every training session as well as the customary yearly fees. I went to
several junior competitions and you had to pay to watch ten year old kids and to park the car.

How did Scotland go in the world cup?;)

See your point, but seriously soccer in Australia needs to understand the cultural differneces where AFL juniors arent getting whacked with huge fees and possibly are getting match payments...so why would parents of elite kids steer them to a sport that costs truckloads more than AFL?

Was I the only person whose Foxtel recording ended during the penalty shootout, even with 20 added minutes?
I'm still spewing.
At least it was good to find out that three Spurs players held their nerve at the death.

And D. Sanchez was probably MOM. Great night for Tottenham!

How did Scotland go in the world cup?;)
Did not qualify, but last time we played Australia we won 3 to 1 goal. I love the whole Iceland
story with a population 150,000 less than Tasmania and the Viking clap which is not a Nordic
type of STD. Just qualifying is nirvana and should never be taken for granted.

First game was a little boring, but Sweden got the job done.

England vs Columbia was interesting, Columbia were pretty heated, ended up with 7 of their players getting yellow cards. Neither team created much play up front, even though England was more likely to score. Of cause they do a typical England and blow a 1-0 lead with two minutes remaining, after Columbia finally woke up and decided to attack for the final 10 minutes. England had a few chances in extra time as Columbia seemed intent to take it to penalties by sitting back and not trying to attack at all. Unfortunately for them it backfired as a penalty strike that clipped the cross bar by inches that set England up for the game sealing strike.

Excuse me! There was a rather important save by Everton’s Jordan Pickford in those penalties too.

And D. Sanchez was probably MOM. Great night for Tottenham!

And we haven't mentioned Rose and Alli, who both played a role on the night.
It's like Spurs and Friends vs the rest. Even Walker could be considered an honorary Tottenham player.
It's great to still have a dog in the fight!
Southgate should be very thankful for the contribution of Pochetino.
Lloris, Erikssen or Vertonghen could still be a problem, too.

Last edited:
Excuse me! There was a rather important save by Everton’s Jordan Pickford in those penalties too.

Yeah that was a great save to set the win up, I was just making the point of how that penalty miss hurt them more, because it hit the cross bar and bounced out by the smallest of margins

Another mere inch or less lower and it would have likely bounced inwards instead of out, then we'd likely have been looking at a longer shootout, just very unlucky with that one, was a good kick, but off by the slightest of angles.

Was the best shoot out of the tournament so far because both teams actually tried to kick the ball and kick it with intent, some the other shoot outs were piss poor soft passes that were easily saved, or all about trying to beat the GK the opposite way. Just slam the freaking thing inside the posts

So the next round of knock outs is here, my guesses for the results in which should be a good weekend of games

Uruguay vs France 1-2

Brazil vs Belgium 3-1

Sweden vs England 0-2

Russia vs Croatia 2-1

So the next round of knock outs is here, my guesses for the results in which should be a good weekend of games

Uruguay vs France 1-2

Brazil vs Belgium 3-1

Sweden vs England 0-2

Russia vs Croatia 2-1

1-1 France thru pens

3-2 Brazil

1-2 England

2-2 Croatia on pens

France vs Brazil despite the talent available and reputation could be a pretty attritional affair from the evidence of the tournament so far.

Belgium would be a lot more entertaining imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer players have to be the dumbest sportspeople on earth. Blatant diving and cheating for all the world to see, yet they still act like they were wronged on the field and carry on as if they done nothing wrong in an attempt to get people sent off. Mbappes staging was as bad as Neymars the other night. France have been the softest team and biggest stagers this tournament, which is why I don't want them to win, and Neymar is the sole reason I don't want Brazil to win.

On the game itself, Uruguay missed Cavani out there. They just couldn't create any dangerous or clear opportunities for themselves. Probably only created one clear chance to score on a header. France's midfield was dominant today. Kante and Griezmann had good games

Soccer players have to be the dumbest sportspeople on earth. Blatant diving and cheating for all the world to see, yet they still act like they were wronged on the field and carry on as if they done nothing wrong in an attempt to get people sent off. Mbappes staging was as bad as Neymars the other night. France have been the softest team and biggest stagers this tournament, which is why I don't want them to win, and Neymar is the sole reason I don't want Brazil to win.

On the game itself, Uruguay missed Cavani out there. They just couldn't create any dangerous or clear opportunities for themselves. Probably only created one clear chance to score on a header. France's midfield was dominant today. Kante and Griezmann had good games

Don’t know if Cavani would’ve stopped Kante and Tolisso from running the show. Tabares got it wrong tactically.

Don’t know if Cavani would’ve stopped Kante and Tolisso from running the show. Tabares got it wrong tactically.

May not have made a difference, but Suarez went missing big time today, didn't have any chemistry with anyone else up front. At least in the earlier games Cavani and Suarez worked well together, Cavani brings Suarez into the games more. But you're right, France dominated them in the midfield

Have stayed out of this thread despite watching an unhealthy amount of games. My highlights so far (in the mould if I don’t know much about art but I know what I like):

Best strike: Pavard v Arg. The curl on that ball was magnifique. Apologies to Ronaldo’s free against Spain which given the context of the game was sheer brilliance for execution. Not quite as enamoured with Coutinho’s that people rave about.

Best team goal: Belgium’s last against Japan. Simply brilliant from the keeper seeing the opening to the cross, dummy and finish. Apologies to Cavani against Portugal, but the cross from right to Suarez and back to Cavani was an amazing finish as well.

Hoping for France v Belgium semi. Just think it will be a better game.

As Foster said himself, the Belgium manager has made some great tactical moves so far in this match. Interesting to see them rotate between formations when they have the ball, and when they don't have the ball. Most teams just ride the one formation all game, or when both attacking and defending. Been a good game to watch so far.

I can’t belive Belgium held them off. They were getting absolutely peppered in that second half. Marcelo and Douglas Costa dominated that second half, just couldn’t quite finish it off.

Well deserved from Belgium. They were excellent in the first half and Courtouis and the defense held them off really well in the second.

I’m an Englishman who grew up on a diet of ‘soccer’. I’m an avid Everton fan and I know I’ll always love them.

That said, if I didn’t love them, I’d probably give up watching the game altogether.

After watching Aussie Rules for four years I find soccer almost unwatchable. You look at the stick Rance got for staging...and compare it to what you see in soccer. It’s pathetic cheating and acting in EVERY game.

I can’t watch Dahlhaus, Rioli, Betts barrelling into blokes twice their size, then watch the soccer to see 6ft 5 blokes feigning injuries. It’s embarrassing!

Best strike: Pavard v Arg. The curl on that ball was magnifique.
That was one of the best I've seen over a number of world cups. Degree of difficulty and execution. The Argentinians strike in the same game was also terrific. In both cases the goal keeper had no chance from a long way out. Hitting them well when that's the case.

I’m an Englishman who grew up on a diet of ‘soccer’. I’m an avid Everton fan and I know I’ll always love them.

That said, if I didn’t love them, I’d probably give up watching the game altogether.

After watching Aussie Rules for four years I find soccer almost unwatchable. You look at the stick Rance got for staging...and compare it to what you see in soccer. It’s pathetic cheating and acting in EVERY game.

I can’t watch Dahlhaus, Rioli, Betts barrelling into blokes twice their size, then watch the soccer to see 6ft 5 blokes feigning injuries. It’s embarrassing!
Yeah after the final I reckon it'll be another 4 years before I watch another game of soccer. Just can't cop the staging.

I was trying to remember a world cup where it wasn't such an issue. I think Spain in 82 was the best one. I don't remember too much staging and the calibre of players, especially in the semi final teams was unreal. Of course Schumackers hit on the French striker didn't require any staging. That was brutal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back