Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best on the big stage sure, but I don't think he can get near GOAT with only one amazing full season.

We are going to hear about his finals record for the rest of the time this sport exists, though.

To me, it's Martin and Ablett Snr. Without Martin Richmond wouldn't have won one premiership. He can and has won both minor and major games off his own boot. The one thing Ablett Snr has is a Norm Smith in a losing Grand Final. To me, that means a lot

Ablett snr kicked a 1000 goals won a norm smith and is no doubt a superstar and one of the greats but Martin, in finals, is just above and beyond all. I have Luke Hodge at 2 and daylight to 3rd in the modern era for blokes that stand up and lead under pressure in finals.

That's greatest of all time by the way.

Just a fact check, Dustin Martin is 26 years old. Gary Ablett Jr who is often put in the GOAT discussions at 26 had:
- 2 premierships (Dusty has one) I'm not a fan of flags, as it's a team award
- 1 Brownlow medal (Dusty has one)
- 112 Brownlow votes (Dusty has 134)
- 3x MVP awards (Dusty has one)
- 4x All-Australians (Dusty has two)
- 2x Best and fairests (Dusty should win his 2nd)
- 2x B&F's in premiership years (Dusty should have one coming up)

So at 26 years old, Dusty is a bit behind GAJ at the same age, but obviously as we've seen, is virtually unstoppable and I think he might have a case should his career span maybe 8 more years? Most if not all would need to be elite. I'd go as far as to say Dusty's current ability exceeds Ablett Jr's best. I'm young but I haven't seen a player other than Carey's highlight reels be such a God-like figure on the field who could single-handedly carry his team over the line. Martin also looks destined to be a one-club player which for obvious reasons, is always looked up more to than multi-club players by AFL fans.

Dusty just completed the first hat-trick ever - Brownlow/Premiership/Norm Smith in the one season. Should he continue at a similar level which I see no reason why he can not, Martin by career's end could be one of the greatest ever. A second premiership would be huge to his credentials.

What do y'all think?
No more “can” in the Op. Task well done.
Terrific write up and execution.

Ablett snr kicked a 1000 goals won a norm smith and is no doubt a superstar and one of the greats but Martin, in finals, is just above and beyond all. I have Luke Hodge at 2 and daylight to 3rd in the modern era for blokes that stand up and lead under pressure in finals.
True dat.
There’s so much daylight that you can put a bunch of terrific player up in a poll just to run third.

Completely cruises through the H&A since his Brownlow year. As others have said, Richmond are looking out for him so they let him.

But when it's a big game then the real Dusty turns up.

I've had the privilege of watching legendary finals performers (over and over again) like Hodge and Burgoyne, but Dusty separates himself completely.

Check Martin v Gazzas stats on that.

Gazza has been great for longer, but Martin averages more brownlow votes per game than Gaz over his career. And dusty has continued to poll double digits in the Charlie since winning it.

And unlike Gaz, Martin hasnt spent half of his career at a basket case where he has a mortgage on every brownlow vote.

They are both just as great, but Martin with his 3 norm smiths has the edge for seizing the opportunity.

Best big game player of all time. The difference between him and Danger is the bigger the moment the better he plays.

If my life was on the line and deciding my fate was some random game on an average day in June, I'd pick several players ahead of Dusty. But if the game was a grand final he would easily be the number 1 choice.

Best big game player of all time. The difference between him and Danger is the bigger the moment the better he plays.

If my life was on the line and deciding my fate was some random game on an average day in June, I'd pick several players ahead of Dusty. But if the game was a grand final he would easily be the number 1 choice.
Great post, especially the comparison v Danger. I agree, best big game player ever. Some greats never got the chance though in big games. Kevin Murray, Bob Skilton, Robbie Flower, off the top of my head. Would have been nice to see Plugger in a few more finals and Grannies aswell.

Gazza has been great for longer, but Martin averages more brownlow votes per game than Gaz over his career. And dusty has continued to poll double digits in the Charlie since winning it.

And unlike Gaz, Martin hasnt spent half of his career at a basket case where he has a mortgage on every brownlow vote.

They are both just as great, but Martin with his 3 norm smiths has the edge for seizing the opportunity.

Hmmmm

Dusty is only 29yo. He has at least 3 seasons at the absolute top of his game in his current role, and then he could easily transition to permanent forward for another few seasons from 32yo onwards. While he is there Richmond will have a quite a few more opportunities to add to the trophy cabinet over the next few years, and I think they are hungry for more.

On SM-A908B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone will have different opinions but having watched him closely I think he belongs in the conversation. Just runs riot out there in big games. Martin, GAJ, Franklin the 3 standouts of this era.

Scariest thing is he still looks like he could have 5 odd years in the tank

Remarkably durable. Played 243 of a possible 250 games (1 was a rest in his first season and 2 of them were a suspension from the Sleeping Pill incident with Cousins.)

So in 10 years, he has only missed 4 games through injury.

its official he is the best player of all time vfl/afl

its basically like this, he is like that student who cruises with 85% average for tests during the year then when it comes time for the big exams and assignmetns that have greater weighting he averages 100%

guys like danger, fyfe etc would be getting 95% in tests but 75% in exams when it really matters

when you add those marks with weighting accounted for dusty is by far the best overall player

in terms of being the stand alone GOAT its simple, its not a coincidence tiges rise coincided with this mans rise to be the best in the comp, he legit was a massive part of why a team was a laughing stock to world beaters, thats a MASSIVE feat

then add to the fact he has since performed in an extremely high level since whilst being the best player in the best team of all time, it solidfies him as the GOAT

when the game matters this man stands up and dominates, i mean 3 BOGS in 3 grand finals, the holy grail of our game? thats insane and has again massive weighting in GOAT discussions, standing up when it matters is the most important aspect in our great game overall, you can stat pad 35 and look good, but this man will get 20 and have a greater overall impact

thats why people shouldnt look at the stats and go wow this guy is surely better, for dusty stats dont matter, its the impact

The GOAT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That fact that we're even talking about this seriously is *en awesome. How good is it to be witnessing greatness? It rules. And I'm sure I'd be saying this regardless of who he plays for... Really... Just a whole lot of fun.

Best on the big stage sure, but I don't think he can get near GOAT with only one amazing full season.

We are going to hear about his finals record for the rest of the time this sport exists, though.

Been top 7 in the Brownlow for six consecutive years. Only other players to do it are Ablett & Dangerfield. His finals record sits on top of that.

Not saying he is or isn't, but you could mount a case.

Leigh Matthews played in 29 Finals and kicked 72 goals and got just under 600 disposals. So his Finals record over 13 years was 20 and 2.5. Dusty is close and may well be there by the time his career is over.

Martin and Hodge are the 2 best big game players of the last 20 years. Martin with a couple of years left should end up ahead of Hodge and could well end up ahead of Matthews.

Great player but he shouldn't have 3 Norm Smith Medals IMO, Bachar Houli should've won it in the 2017 GF he was better than Martin that day.

Great player but he shouldn't have 3 Norm Smith Medals IMO, Bachar Houli should've won it in the 2017 GF he was better than Martin that day.
Not true, and as someone who's watched that game around 20 times, as good as Houli was on the end of others work, it was Martin setting up play and driving the bus.
Dusty clearly BOG thats why 4 out of 5 gave him max votes and only Wallace giving him the 3 and Dusty 1,

Clearly a big game player as 14 of 15 have voted.

Leigh Matthews - Dustin Martin, * Nathan Broad, Shane Edwards
Malcolm Blight - Dustin Martin, Mitch Duncan, Shane Edwards
Damian Lololol Barrett - Dustin Martin, Jayden Short, Shane Edwards
Peter Ryan - Dustin Martin, Jayden Short, Shane Edwards
Lauren Arnell - Dustin Martin, Jayden Short, Mitch Duncan

Alastair Lynch: Dustin Martin, Bachar Houli, Jack Riewoldt
Chris Johnson: Dustin Martin, Dion Prestia, Jack Riewoldt
Matthew Lloyd: Dustin Martin, Bachar Houli, Marlion Pickett
Bruce McAveney: Dustin Martin, Bachar Houli, Marlion Pickett
Angela Phipps: Dustin Martin, Marlion Pickett, Jack Riewoldt

Chris Judd – Dustin Martin, Bachar Houli, Jack Graham.
Terry WallaceBachar Houli, Shane Edwards, Dustin Martin.
Mark Maclure – Dustin Martin, Alex Rance, Bachar Houli.
Jake Niall – Dustin Martin, Bachar Houli, Dustin Prestia.
Daisy Pearce – Dustin Martin, Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia.

*Mathews today said it was a mistake and he meant Short not Broad should have got the 2 votes.

Last edited:

The Brownlow is increasingly becoming a popularity contest where the umpires barely pay attention to anyone bar the superstars. Martin is in the conversation for greatest finals player in recent history along with Hodge and Mathews. But in terms of overall career, he’s not even ahead of the likes of Harvey, Cousins or Buckley, let alone the true all-time greats like Gablett, Franklin, Judd and Carey. I said it before, but he wouldn’t make an all-time great team, let alone be the first picked.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back