Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

With a new deal for Kenny imminent I would like to congratulate and thank all of the neutral supporters on bigfooty for their strong advocacy in support of Kenny.

We did it.

It’s been a lot of fun watching the whole Kenny thing unfold this season.
But now our work is done.
Time to pop a Pepsi and raise a toast to the great man going forward.
Enjoy !!!

IMG_1812.jpeg

I understand their frustration, many are keen to put 07 behind us with a good showing in a GF and a flag if the cards fall our way.
As I said, we've been there abouts a few times but not good enough so I dont buy into the hate.
Melbourne were a basketcase that hadn't tasted success in decades, Roos set them up and never intended on hanging around to reap the rewards.
Ken restored our stability and should be respected for that if nothing else, North, Essondon, GC and until now Carlton would be happy to have won as many games as we have in the past decade.

Ken will be fine and so will Josh.
Ken's new contract is going to be officially announced today.
Two year deal with a planned handover to Josh Carr.
It's not a coincidence that Josh Carr withdrew from the race for the Richmond job the other day and said he wants to stay at Alberton.
Port have only had seven coaches in 50 years, they aren't like Richmond who are known for eating their own and ruthlessly sacking coaches.

I don't think I have ever seen a more irrational supporter base than Port Adelaide fans in recent times.

Like him or loathe him, it is hard to deny that Ken Hinkley has been a very good coach over his tenure, with a superior winning percentage (60%) to a number of other universally admired coaches including Clarkson.

Although he hasn't taken the club to a Grand Final as yet, and the preliminary final loss to the Bulldogs was an absolute stinker, his overall record in finals hasn't been too bad. 5 wins and 5 losses, including 2 heartbreaking prelims against Richmond and Hawthorn, which with a bit of luck, could have easily gone the other way.

And realistically, even if they had have gotten over the line in any of the 3 prelims which they have contested, how many of those Grand finals against the Swans, Cats or Demons would they have realistically been likely to have won? In my view, none of them.

Their best chance would have no doubt been in 2020 against the Cats, but at best, you might argue that this would have been a 50/50 game for them.

Yet, the average Power supporter which you hear on the radio or see commenting online, seems to believe that they have (and have always had) one of the best lists in the game, and should have won, not 1, but multiple premierships under Ken.

Where does this such incredible detachment from reality stem from?

I'm assuming at least part of it is that a significant minority of their supporters still seem to think that they are competing in a league akin to the SANFL, where they bullied the competition for over a century and that Premierships are almost an entitlement.

What makes things even more absurd is that they are currently sitting third on the AFL ladder and have a very real chance to finish in the top 2. This would obviously give them the best possible run to the Grand Final, and a great opportunity to win a flag. But, are the supporters happy? Are they getting behind Ken? I think we all know the answer to those questions.

The situation is so devoid of sense, that I believe Ken could even win the premiership in 2023, and a certain number of nuffies would still be claiming it was really Josh Carr's flag and calling for Ken's head.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen a more irrational supporter base than Port Adelaide fans in recent times.

Like him or loathe him, it is hard to deny that Ken Hinkley has been a very good coach over his tenure, with a superior winning percentage (60%) to a number of other universally admired coaches including Clarkson.

Although he hasn't taken the club to a Grand Final as yet, and the preliminary final loss to the Bulldogs was an absolute stinker, his overall record in finals hasn't been too bad. 5 wins and 5 losses, including 2 heartbreaking prelims against Richmond and Hawthorn, which with a bit of luck, could have easily gone the other way.

And realistically, even if they had have gotten over the line in any of the 3 prelims which they have contested, how many of those Grand finals against the Swans, Cats or Demons would they have realistically been likely to have won? In my view, none of them.

Their best chance would have no doubt been in 2020 against the Cats, but at best, you might argue that this would have been a 50/50 game for them.

Yet, many of the Power supporters you hear on the radio or see commenting online, seem to believe that they have (and have always had) one of the best lists in the game, and should have won, not 1, but multiple premierships under Ken.

Where does this such incredible detachment from reality come from?

I'm assuming at least part of it is that a significant minority of their supporters still seem to think that they are in competing in a league akin to the SANFL, where they bullied the completion for over a century and that Premierships are almost an entitlement.

What make things even more absurd is that they are currently sitting third on the AFL ladder and have a very real chance to finish in the top 2. This would obviously give them the best possible run to the Grand Final, and a great opportunity to win a flag. But, are the supporters happy? Are they getting behind Ken? I think we all know the answer to those questions.

The situation is so devoid of sense, that I believe Ken could even win the premiership in 2023, and a certain number of nuffies would still be claiming it was really Josh Carr's flag and calling for Ken's head.
Good post.
thundercloud

Ken's new contract is going to be officially announced today.
Two year deal with a planned handover to Josh Carr.
It's not a coincidence that Josh Carr withdrew from the race for the Richmond job the other day and said he wants to stay at Alberton.
Port have only had seven coaches in 50 years, they aren't like Richmond who are known for eating their own and ruthlessly sacking coaches.
Power have only been in existence for 26 years.
Hardwick was at Richmond for over a decade, if they were to have "ruthlessly" sacked him, then their 3 flags may not have happened.
I think a better comparison of a club eating their own would have to be Carlton, as they go through coaches at a rapid rate.

Yet, many of the Power supporters you hear on the radio or see commenting online, seem to believe that they have (and have always had) one of the best lists in the game, and should have won, not 1, but multiple premierships under Ken.

I'm assuming at least part of it is that a significant minority of their supporters still seem to think that they are in competing in a league akin to the SANFL, where they bullied the completion for over a century and that Premierships are almost an entitlement.

What make things even more absurd is that they are currently sitting third on the AFL ladder and have a very real chance to finish in the top 2. This would obviously give them the best possible run to the Grand Final, and a great opportunity to win a flag. But, are the supporters happy? Are they getting behind Ken? I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Great post.

We should understand that near enough is good enough, and recognise that so many AFL (not SANFL) clubs in the past have retained the one coach for 10, 12, 14+ years without a flag, then gone onto success. Too many to mention in fact. There are just so many success stories that we should study them to learn from them. In fact, let me finish this post by listing them all.

I'm assuming at least part of it is that a significant minority of their supporters still seem to think that they are competing in a league akin to the SANFL, where they bullied the completion for over a century and that Premierships are almost an entitlement.

What makes things even more absurd is that they are currently sitting third on the AFL ladder and have a very real chance to finish in the top 2. This would obviously give them the best possible run to the Grand Final, and a great opportunity to win a flag. But, are the supporters happy? Are they getting behind Ken? I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Hard to argue with any of that to be honest.
You always hear most from the vocal minority.

Great post.

We should understand that near enough is good enough, and recognise that so many AFL (not SANFL) clubs in the past have retained the one coach for 10, 12, 14+ years without a flag, then gone onto success. Too many to mention in fact. There are just so many success stories that we should study them to learn from them. In fact, let me finish this post by listing them all.
Plenty of things, which have not happened before, happen all the time.

By your logic, your club may as well forfeit the rest of the season.

Plenty of things, which have not happened before, happen all the time.

By your logic, your club may as well forfeit the rest of the season.
No that's misinterpreting my words, just like if I was to misinterpret your words and say that you think no coach should ever be sacked.

there's playing out what you have (coach for the rest of 2023) and there's is making decisions on the future (this thread).

No that's misinterpreting my words, just like if I was to misinterpret your words and say that you think no coach should ever be sacked.

there's playing out what you have (coach for the rest of 2023) and there's is making decisions on the future (this thread).

Kenny is an all time great coach. There was no way he was getting the sack this year. It was obvious for all to see, except for the lunatic fringe of the Port supporter base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Kenny!!!

6770fe9d6f63d6dad7e2947615912f86755c493c

Port didn't really have much choice given they're controlled by the AFL, and Ken Hinkley ticks all the KPIs the AFL require from them.

AFL yes man. ✅
Victorian media love him. ✅
60% win percentage. ✅
Home crowds above 30k. ✅
10 wins minimum per year. ✅
Multiple top 4 finishes. ✅
Membership above 60k. ✅

Keeping Carr is probably the more important signing. If Kenny fails over the next couple of years, they have his replacement ready to go.

If Nicks fails to get the Crows into finals this year and next, Carr would be in the box seat to take over at West Lakers IMO

I wonder if they'll change Alberton Oval to Ken Hinkley Oval in a few years in recognition.

The Ken Hinkley Port Adelaide Football Club also has a nice ring to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back