Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Port such a poor goal kicking side for the last few seasons? They seem to get jitters like Harry McKay with 10 coffees, double strength.

The main reason is that our forward entries usually end up tight on the boundary or around the 50 meter arc. Very rarely do we actually score within the V within 30 meters out. Once again that's a coaching issue that has never been addressed.

is this guy a troll like does anyone know he's some legendary hawthorn board poster and serial troll? I desperately hope so otherwise this is amazingly sad
You’re the sad c**t, mate. Not me.

I just go back to my original open question to all you Port clowns…

If you can’t even enjoy watching your team win games of footy, then what’s the point?

Seems to me like a huge waste of time.

Find another hobby. Something that brings a little enjoyment to your miserable existence.

If you can’t even enjoy watching your team win games of footy, then what’s the point?

Most happy clappers do enjoy their wins all be it against weaker teams.

The point of most Port fans here on BF is our inability to compete against premiership contending teams or games of significance. It leaves fans with a complete numb feeling when your team is there just making up then numbers.

Hawthorn had their run in the 2010's, so I am guessing your are still living off that glory even though your team is shite at the moment during a rebuild period.

Find another hobby. Something that brings a little enjoyment to your miserable existence.

thank you for replying. i genuinely, like 70-80% was confident you were some old school troll that had been through it all before and was just having fun with port fans with your comment. but damn, you are serious, which is worrying. "Supporters of 11 other clubs would kill to be in the mix with an 8% chance" is seriously one of the biggest loser comments i've ever read when it comes to footy. kill to be in the mix with an 8% chance? lol

to answer your question - and it's funny how you pose it like you're the first person that's thought of tuning out and losing interest - many of us have done that. obviously if you suffer through so many years of nothing you naturally lose interest. we care more about our club than you do yours, though, so that's probably why you're so confused. "why do you CARE so much?!" is a comment we've seen all too frequently - most of you don't get it, and I wouldn't expect you to

You never answered my question.

Would you want Ken Hinkley coaching Hawthorn?

How long does a coach get without making a GF?

Putting all bullsh!! and variables aside.

Ken has had 10 years +

How much longer does he get? 12 years? 15? 20?
David Koch has said he wants to make Ken Hinkley a 20 year coach, so I guess this thread will remain relevant until at least 2032.

David Koch has said he wants to make Ken Hinkley a 20 year coach, so I guess this thread will remain relevant until at least 2032.

Staggering if true. With a record of about 1 win in every 3 games against top 8 sides over the journey they have got to phase Ken out quickly. He's been ok but can't break through and doesn't look like he will.

thank you for replying. i genuinely, like 70-80% was confident you were some old school troll that had been through it all before and was just having fun with port fans with your comment. but damn, you are serious, which is worrying. "Supporters of 11 other clubs would kill to be in the mix with an 8% chance" is seriously one of the biggest loser comments i've ever read when it comes to footy. kill to be in the mix with an 8% chance? lol

to answer your question - and it's funny how you pose it like you're the first person that's thought of tuning out and losing interest - many of us have done that. obviously if you suffer through so many years of nothing you naturally lose interest. we care more about our club than you do yours, though, so that's probably why you're so confused. "why do you CARE so much?!" is a comment we've seen all too frequently - most of you don't get it, and I wouldn't expect you to
You are utterly clueless. An 8% chance of winning in a field of 18 represents a pretty good chance. Way better than all of the teams below you on the ladder who have virtually no chance of winning the flag. What percentage chance would satisfy you? 40% ?? 50% ??? LOL!!! The Giants and Cats are equal flag favourites and the bookies rate them both as a 16% chance.

And what makes you think you care more about your club than I care for mine? You're the knob who doesn't support their own team, who watches every game through a prism of negativity and constantly bags out your players, coach and president. Even when they win!!! :drunk:... All because of the weird sense of entitlement that somehow you are owed a premiership.

There are supporters of other clubs who have been waiting 30, 40, 50, 60 years to see their team win the flag.

Finishing in the Top Four in 3 of the past 4 seasons and contesting 2 Prelim Finals is not "nothing". Being the 3rd best team in any given season is not "nothing". I realise all you Port nuffs think your club exists to win premierships and everything else is meaningless. Like I said already, that doesn't leave much room to enjoy AFL footy. You may as well give it away and find something else to do.

e.g. The Pies have won just 2 flags in the past 34 years. 32 years of misery. 32 years of "nothing", as you put it.
The Blues have won just 1 premiership in the past 37 years.... 36 years of "nothing".
Essendon have won 2 premierships over the last 40 years.... 38 years of "nothing".

You have zero perspective. You act like Port are still the big fish and playing in the 10 team SANFL. Here's the truth: your club is one of the minnows of a 18 team national comp. I personally think you guys do bloody well to punch above their weight and deliver great footy nearly every season.

Anyway, to summarise... You're a shitty supporter. Actually, you're not a supporter. You're the opposite. Your club would be better off without whinging sooks like you amongst their fanbase.

You are utterly clueless. An 8% chance of winning in a field of 18 represents a pretty good chance. Way better than all of the teams below you on the ladder who have virtually no chance of winning the flag. What percentage chance would satisfy you? 40% ?? 50% ??? LOL!!! The Giants and Cats are equal flag favourites and the bookies rate them both as a 16% chance.

And what makes you think you care more about your club than I care for mine? You're the knob who doesn't support their own team, who watches every game through a prism of negativity and constantly bags out your players, coach and president. Even when they win!!! :drunk:... All because of the weird sense of entitlement that somehow you are owed a premiership.

There are supporters of other clubs who have been waiting 30, 40, 50, 60 years to see their team win the flag.

Finishing in the Top Four in 3 of the past 4 seasons and contesting 2 Prelim Finals is not "nothing". Being the 3rd best team in any given season is not "nothing". I realise all you Port nuffs think your club exists to win premierships and everything else is meaningless. Like I said already, that doesn't leave much room to enjoy AFL footy. You may as well give it away and find something else to do.

e.g. The Pies have won just 2 flags in the past 34 years. 32 years of misery. 32 years of "nothing", as you put it.
The Blues have won just 1 premiership in the past 37 years.... 36 years of "nothing".
Essendon have won 2 premierships over the last 40 years.... 38 years of "nothing".

You have zero perspective. You act like Port are still the big fish and playing in the 10 team SANFL. Here's the truth: your club is one of the minnows of a 18 team national comp. I personally think you guys do bloody well to punch above their weight and deliver great footy nearly every season.

Anyway, to summarise... You're a shitty supporter. Actually, you're not a supporter. You're the opposite. Your club would be better off without whinging sooks like you amongst their fanbase.

it is nothing. you guys have won four flags since 2000. the other years were failures. don't you agree? was losing the granny a success for you? there is one premier and the rest are nothing! wake up! maybe you got complacent with all your success and don't care anymore, it's just fun for you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d actually be a good Paul Roos at Melbourne coach I reckon, John Worsfold at Essendon.

Pressure absorber. Good educator. Creates a club environment players want to be at.

If he has the energy & Clarko doesn’t I’d be quite happy to have him for 3 years to just get us off the bottom building.

But yep when you get to Ports stage, they need to move on. They just don’t get up for big games and that’s where they are at now. Especially need to make hay while Dixon is around - nothing against Marshall & Georgiades but Dixon really does have that big man presence.

to answer your question - and it's funny how you pose it like you're the first person that's thought of tuning out and losing interest - many of us have done that. obviously if you suffer through so many years of nothing you naturally lose interest. we care more about our club than you do yours, though, so that's probably why you're so confused. "why do you CARE so much?!" is a cromment we've seen all too frequently - most of you don't get it, and I wouldn't expect you to
Dawks fans are plastic mate.

They don't understand, don't waste your breath.

Yeah, sure.

But who cares whether or not I would want Ken Hinkley coaching Hawthorn?

It's irrelevant. He's the coach of Port Adelaide.
Ok let me rephrase the question.
Would you replace Sam Mitchell with Ken Hinkley if given the chance?

For what it's worth, I think Hinkley is great for Port but there's no way I'd want him coaching my club.

Ok let me rephrase the question.
Would you replace Sam Mitchell with Ken Hinkley if given the chance?

For what it's worth, I think Hinkley is great for Port but there's no way I'd want him coaching my club.

The question really should be: would you be happy to win 60% of your minor round games, forever, while knowing that you can never win the premiership. (Only insane people would choose this)

Last edited:
I browsed through the match thread on the Port board.

50 pages and 1,200 posts of pure relentless negativity. From go to woah...

Maybe 20 or 30 positive posts from random well-adjusted Port fans which stand out like a beacon in a Sea of Toxicity

They all started in on Hinkley from the outset, blaming him for Port's 1st qtr inaccuracy (1 goal, 8 behinds)
As though Kenny has any control over his players' kicking for goal... (SMH.. Absolute muppets)

Bagging the coach, bagging nearly every player, threatening to quit following club, saying "I've had enough", etc

This is when they win a hard-fought close game, mind you. 5th place on the ladder with 5 wins and 2 losses.

Their carry on was exactly the same as the poor North fans after their 45 point loss to Hawthorn last week. At least, I can understand why the North fans would be so dispirited after getting belted in perhaps the one "winnable" game on their fixture and finding themselves winless in 18th place again. (their 5th successive year at rock bottom)

Port, by contrast, are premiership contenders for the 4th time in the past 5 years.

I can't believe these fickle clowns on the Port board actually call themselves "Port Adelaide supporters". They're the complete opposite of supporters. You see Channel 7's occasional shots of the mad, passionate Port fanatics in the crowd and the difference between them is palpable. You realise those in the crowd are the true Port supporters and most of the whinging sooks on the Port board are just angry, frustrated, basement-dwelling losers.
I have seen you post on the Port Board. I also agree with some of your points there.

Sometimes you just have to Enjoy the ride, Regardless if the team wins the flag or not.

I will always savour those 4 finals win under ross lyon in 2012-5, especially the 2 finals wins in 2013 that got freo to a grand final.

Again, 5 finals wins in a 10-12 year period isnt bad.

Essendon havent won a final since Port won a flag in 2004. North havent won a final in 2015 or made finals in 2016.

I had to endure a 6 year rebuild from 2016-21. I will savour that 2022 elim final just for the wait and tolerating that hard path that was the 2016-21 rebuild.

Sometimes you just have to Enjoy the ride, Regardless if the team wins the flag or not.
Yeah, this is why Fremantle are not in the premiership business, they're in the "just happy playing AFL" business. Similar to Port.
Again, 5 finals wins in a 10-12 year period isnt bad.
2 wins in 9 seasons, which is terrible compared to most of the competition. Freo have the exact same record and they missed finals for 7 of the last 9 seasons.
Essendon havent won a final since Port won a flag in 2004. North havent won a final in 2015 or made finals in 2016.
So that means Port are just as bad as those teams, I don't think anyone is disagreeing Port have been as irrelevant as the worst AFL teams. Port haven't been relevant since their 2007 GF when they were thumped.
I had to endure a 6 year rebuild from 2016-21. I will savour that 2022 elim final just for the wait and tolerating that hard path that was the 2016-21 rebuild.
You're being so ironic, because Port and Freo have had the exact same amount of success, both just 2 finals wins in that 9 season period. Only difference is a mere 2 finals series absences between the 2 clubs, which was just 1 difference at the end of 2022.

The main reason is that our forward entries usually end up tight on the boundary or around the 50 meter arc. Very rarely do we actually score within the V within 30 meters out. Once again that's a coaching issue that has never been addressed.
Like the old Malthouse Collingwood days of hugging the boundary and passing down the line while not minding throw-ins because winning said boundary tosses with practiced ruck/roving strategies was part of their plan?

Hey guys he can't kick it for them

Showdowns are scary after all

Best bet when going inside 50 is kick it long and high to stationary targets as far into the pocket as possible

Geelong in Geelong next week 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back