Analysis Captain Jack Ziebell..

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with most of it, but the Brad bashing is ***ing stupid, tired and innacurrate. Half the leaders in the comp are playing sore at this time of the year, Dangerfield and Selwood 2 obvious examples. Yes, its limiting his performance, but he'll play out the year like all leaders would and its nothing to do with Brad. And on the "Brad never rotates players" bullshit, so far this year we've seen at various stages: Jack across half-back, Atley on a wing, half-forward and half back in one game, McDonald on a wing, half-forward and half-back, Mullet on a wing and half-back, Swallow across half-forward, Dumont as a permanent mid, Tarrant and Hansen rotating forward, Wagner in a back pocket, Lindsey on the wing and off half-back, Garner and Simpkin on a wing, Maj in the ruck and Goldy deep forward, Hibberd on a wing and half-back, and Higgins playing inside mid, outside mid, half-forward and off the back of the square. Pretty much every player has been moved and trialled in different positions, some with more success than others, but the fact that you and your like keep running with the same bull**** criticisms shows why your opinion will never be taken seriously by those of us who actually bother watching the game.

So selection of the team has nothing to do with brad?

I should have left the sneaky dig at Brad in the BBB thread but meh. He and everyone else is involved is consistently playing injured players and has done before. No different to what's happening here

Keep calling it bullshit, I don't care, this is a forum. Just like you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion lol ;)

Zeebs is clearly playing injured OR if he is actually sh**, then either way he should be either not playing because he is injured or dropped for being totally out of form. The captain should not be invincible imo

I agree with most of it, but the Brad bashing is ***ing stupid, tired and innacurrate. Half the leaders in the comp are playing sore at this time of the year, Dangerfield and Selwood 2 obvious examples. Yes, its limiting his performance, but he'll play out the year like all leaders would and its nothing to do with Brad. And on the "Brad never rotates players" bullshit, so far this year we've seen at various stages: Jack across half-back, Atley on a wing, half-forward and half back in one game, McDonald on a wing, half-forward and half-back, Mullet on a wing and half-back, Swallow across half-forward, Dumont as a permanent mid, Tarrant and Hansen rotating forward, Wagner in a back pocket, Lindsey on the wing and off half-back, Garner and Simpkin on a wing, Maj in the ruck and Goldy deep forward, Hibberd on a wing and half-back, and Higgins playing inside mid, outside mid, half-forward and off the back of the square. Pretty much every player has been moved and trialled in different positions, some with more success than others, but the fact that you and your like keep running with the same bull**** criticisms shows why your opinion will never be taken seriously by those of us who actually bother watching the game.
In short, it's not just the team that's been aggressively resetting.

I'm sure tactical flexibility would have been pushed as a KPI for Brad this year, as part of team and player development.

Thoughts on the captaincy entering 2020 under the stewardship of Rhyce Shaw?

All working well, no point to a change?

Goes missing a bit too much let him concentrate on playing and give it to someone else?

Let someone like Tarrant have a couple of years (a la Harley at Geelong) to mix things up a bit?

Identify a younger player with the right stuff to lead us into a new era?

Good call, smart call, sensible call ( that’s my Caro impersonation).
I think Jack is well respected as the leader but yes he does go ice cold in some games.
Worried it might upset the applecart if Jack was replaced and might effect Tarrant’s form.
I reckon captain or not captain Jack would be the same in his playing output.
Leave as is and identify the next leader and start getting that in place

Thoughts on the captaincy entering 2020 under the stewardship of Rhyce Shaw?

All working well, no point to a change?

Goes missing a bit too much let him concentrate on playing and give it to someone else?

Let someone like Tarrant have a couple of years (a la Harley at Geelong) to mix things up a bit?

Identify a younger player with the right stuff to lead us into a new era?

Address the outside speed weaknesses and he's a potent player and very worthy captain.

The ball has to be kept in his neighbourhood to make him impact.

Fwiw the only youngster who catches my eye as a potential future skipper so far is Nick Larkey. LDU could be a sleeper - his confidence off-field might lift as he really finds his place consistently on it. Bailey Scott has some strong potential traits but early indicators suggest he's not going to be a fan of speaking to groups of handling some of the PR requirements of such a role.

I thought Ben Brown was on track to be the man a couple of years ago but am concerned his game-style at times has him headed in a direction that doesn't scream leader.

If Luke could refine his game somewhat he could be a candidate down the track.

So yes agree with the above sentiments. Hopefully some youngsters can really start pushing their cases as future captains in the next couple of years.

Fwiw the only youngster who catches my eye as a potential future skipper so far is Nick Larkey. LDU could be a sleeper - his confidence off-field might lift as he really finds his place consistently on it. Bailey Scott has some strong potential traits but early indicators suggest he's not going to be a fan of speaking to groups of handling some of the PR requirements of such a role.

I thought Ben Brown was on track to be the man a couple of years ago but am concerned his game-style at times has him headed in a direction that doesn't scream leader.

If Luke could refine his game somewhat he could be a candidate down the track.

So yes agree with the above sentiments. Hopefully some youngsters can really start pushing their cases as future captains in the next couple of years.

Mr "he's dropped no he's injured" might do okay. He's quiet tho.

But about our current capitano...

Just put Jack back in the forward line and get him kicking straight - he'll be one of the best forwards in the league and still a battering ram capable of running thru the midfield for periods every game. Do that and he'd probably be up to playing games in the midfield too, against the right opponents and provided its only one or two games before he goes forward again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am i the only one who thinks Zurhaar might have the right stuff?

Confident - tick
Will stick up for his teammate and not let us get bullied around - tick
Will tell a teammate off and not shy away from blasting the group when necessary - tick
Stink mustache - tick
Capable of turning a game (5 goals or 11 tackles) and saying 'come with me boys - tick.

Reckon in 2 more full seasons he might ready

Remove this Banner Ad

Back