List Mgmt. Carlile announces retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-08-31/carlile-retires?camefrom=EMCL_1246402_47863321

ALIPATE CARLILE has brought his 167-game career to an end.

The Port Adelaide defender hangs up the boots after a year marred by injuries, which saw him manage just two AFL and three SANFL matches.

Over 11 seasons at the club, Carlile established himself as the Power’s premier key defender – often tasked with stopping jobs on the AFL’s elite forwards, with players like Buddy Franklin, Jonathan Brown, Jarryd Roughead and Jack Riewoldt often shadowed by the man in the #27 Power jumper.

Alipate Carlile record
Debut: Round 16, 2006 v St Kilda
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers (2005 National Draft, Pick 44)
Junior club: Wangaratta Rovers
Career games: 167
Career goals: 5
Brownlow votes: 2
Gavin Wanganeen Medal (PAFC best player under 21): 2008

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-08-31/carlile-retires?camefrom=EMCL_1246402_47863321

Thanks Alipate,

You were a rock in defence during some bloody stormy times. You got to see a small rise from the depths, sad you won't be on the park when we take the next few steps up the ladder.

Keep "Bob"bing up at the club, you will always be welcome ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played some really good football later on his career when the team was firing, before the injuries started to mount.

How old is he?

Bye bye bobby :(

Love ya Bobby.

Great servant of the club.

True Rock when the ball was coming into our D50 alot.

Damn will miss him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlile was one of those players I never really warmed too. Thought he looked promising under the senior guidance of Wakelin but never totally convinced me he was anything more than a solid player with a few annoying deficiencies. Loved the spoil, didn't take enough contested marks. Disposal efficiency was some of the best at the club though, and I don't doubt our rebound 50's this year suffered without him and Hombsch to kick the ball.

In summary:

Cons:
Always carried a bit too much weight
Had a habit of getting caught behind his man
Didn't take enough contested marks and went the spoil and played the boundary in situations that could have been made into attacking plays

Pros:
Very reliable kick
Occasionally offered a run up the ground
Played 168 games and had a very tough career being our main key defender during some tough periods.
Good spoiler of the ball
Team orientated.

Leaves us at the right time imo, I wish him and his family all the best. He clearly prioritised his family in the last few years over his football which is more than fair and pulling the pin now seems the right call.

Retiring now, only 29 and with another year on his contract, exemplifies the team first player he always was.

Had some bad times, but a heck of a lot of good ones and has been a damn reliable full back for the last 3 or 4 years. His Brownlow vote match against the Hawks last year a highlight. The playing group has moved past him a bit this year, but I'm still a bit upset to see him go. All the best, Bobby.

Thanks Bobby!

Been a reliable big man but I think the game and some of our young boys have gone past him a bit.

Did the team thing in retiring when he had a year left. All the best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back