Carlton 2022 = Melbourne 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Far, far, far worse.
  • Top 8 after each of the first 22 rounds
  • 11 seconds from beating Melbourne and securing their finals berth, and only losing because they made some really dumb mistakes
  • Lead by 24 pts at 3QT against Collingwood- kick 0.6 to 5.1 in the last quarter- if it had been 0.7 they make it
Melbourne 2017 was in and out of the eight, for most of the season it was basically a 50-50 whether they make it or not, their only real "choke" was losing a game vs (ironically) Collingwood that they should have won. Even in that game it was pretty obvious they would lose from the beginning.

We weren’t in the top 8 ALL season.

I reckon sir swamp thing will release this stat but pretty sure Carlton are the first team since the dawn of time to be in the top 8 all season and miss the finals after the conclusion of the season.

That is a choke also Chief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Far, far, far worse.

• Top 8 after each of the first 22 rounds
  • 11 seconds from beating Melbourne and securing their finals berth, and only losing because they made some really dumb mistakes
  • Lead by 24 pts at 3QT against Collingwood- kick 0.6 to 5.1 in the last quarter- if it had been 0.7 they make it
Melbourne were favorites and lost to 13th ranked Collingwood by 16 points. It doesn't seem too bad until you realize West Coast caused an upset over the #1 ranked Adelaide, winning by 29 points. A mere 9 points was the difference between Melbourne making the 8 and missing out.

They're both tragic in their own right.

I reckon sir swamp thing will release this stat but pretty sure Carlton are the first team since the dawn of time to be in the top 8 all season and miss the finals after the conclusion of the season.

As per usual you're wrong.

I find that quite strange considering you're on here most of the time as the bastion of correcting others. Screenshot_20220821-184616_Twitter.jpg

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

unless they release a flyer then I don't think it's comparable

DIdD8EkXUAUG--o
To be fair, that was released by the AFL and not the club. Carlton released a beer during the week to celebrate making the finals though.. haha

We've either been falling away for weeks or we choked.

I dunno. Just make it up depending on what you feel.

As per usual you're wrong.

I find that quite strange considering you're on here most of the time as the bastion of correcting others. View attachment 1486069

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One step ahead of me and was happy to be corrected (as mr swampy did) that it had happened before.

Happy to pop
My hand up and say I wasn’t exactly sure of the stat but it had been for some time.
45 years may as well be a lifetime ago

You couldn’t script a worse ending to a season, pretty much every aspect of choking was present and supporters will be left to stew on the what if’s.

This capitulation will sadly become a reference point for when teams catastrophically lose at the last hurdle. Carltonesque.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A choke is being paid out by a betting agency to make top 4 and then completely missing the finals.

Now that. Is. A. Choke if ever I’ve seen one

HAHAHAHAA!

How are we responsible for what a betting agency does for publicity?

Weak sauce. Jog on m8.

Melbourne were favorites and lost to 13th ranked Collingwood by 16 points. It doesn't seem too bad until you realize West Coast caused an upset over the #1 ranked Adelaide, winning by 29 points. A mere 9 points was the difference between Melbourne making the 8 and missing out.

They're both tragic in their own right.
Although I think at that point Adelaide had locked up the Minor Premiership and had rested a heap of blokes. It wasn't that big of an upset given what was at stake.

Carlton needed to win just one of their last four to make it. They didn't just choke today, they also blew last week and the Adelaide game.

Lol - we lost when we weren't expected to win. It was hard fought, there was no point where we we put the game to bed.

What is a choke these days? "Lead for a quarter or two but lost"?

:laughv1:
A choke is leading by 4 goals at three quarter time, then missing relatively easy shots in the last quarter, to lose by 1 point.
Apart from that, great game, shattering loss, extremely unlucky and predicting you guys will be playing finals next year.

A choke is leading by 4 goals at three quarter time, then missing relatively easy shots in the last quarter, to lose by 1 point.
Apart from that, great game, shattering loss, extremely unlucky and predicting you guys will be playing finals next year.
Pfft. 40 points is generally the point of no return.

The game see-sawed between the teams and ended up on the wrong side for us. Too bad. Get ready for next year.

Lol - we lost when we weren't expected to win. It was hard fought, there was no point where we we put the game to bed.

What is a choke these days? "Lead for a quarter or two but lost"?

:laughv1:

Agree, 100% how can the betting underdog who is lower on the ladder - choke? A choke would be minor premiers going out in straight sets. People are ridiculous. Carlton lost, they didn't choke.

And it's not pathetic, it's the elite level of professional sport. Sometimes teams lose.

Honestly * the haters too, Carlton are good and will bounce back - honestly some pretty s**t luck this year. I was hoping this game would reignite the rivalry so I'm hoping both teams are up the top for a few years for some more epic games... Unless you keep beating us, then I will want you to be s**t agian. :p

Someone run the numbers, i feel our team was much younger
We were 25 years 1 month and 98 games to Carlton’s 24 years 10 months and 82 games.

Our numbers inflated by Lewis, Vince, Jones and Pedersen though, who were never going to be part of a real premiership push at that stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back