Carlton 2024 - Are they being overestimated?

Are the expectations on the 2024 Blues being overestated?

• Yes

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 34 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not even that we don't have any small forwards who could be considered 'targets', we get nowhere near enough from any of them working off Curnow and McKay's contests at the drop of the ball.
Curnow is seemingly our best lead up player and best crumber. It's an indictment on any small fwd who's incapable of crumbing goals in what really should be the easiest job in footy. They are the best KPF pairing in the comp at not being out marked and bringing the ball to ground yet somehow we seem completely incapable of crumbing off of them

Still premiership favs for mine.

Not even close!
You guys should have beaten em and you wouldn't be classified a premiership contender. Certainly a finalist but Carlton lack in far too many areas to be a serious threat.

Given Taylor will miss for GWS, it'll be interesting to see how Carlton fair against a team that many feel is the premiership favorite.

They’ll be there abouts come the end of the season, need to work on a few things, but they’re one of the favourites for mine

Other than supporters and media who know how to sell junk stories to supporters, who is overestimating them?
Have a read of this thread between pages 1-5 in the lead up to the R4 Fremantle game and you'll see some pretty over the top hype comments from Carlton supporters. Some were probably said in jest, but it's obvious that Carlton supporters really believed back then that their team was going to do something special this season (they still might). I found that strange at the time considering they were undefeated going into round 5 last year as well and went on to lose 7 of their following 9 games.

Interestingly, they find themselves in a similar position this year after beating Fremantle in round 4, they've now lost 3 of their last 4 games. It's not a stretch to suggest they could lose their next 2 and they would be 5 losses in their last 6 games. They'd find themselves outside the top 8 if that were to occur and then who knows what happens from there, but they've proven themselves to be quite a streaky team over the last 18 months.

Having said all that, they can stop history from repeating itself if they just beat the Dees tonight.

Voss is their weak link. They have the 2 best big forwards in the game and he plays slow possession footy. bizarre.
Thats because our small forwards do absolute fek all and our mids are big lumbering brutes. We've also been missing most of our drive off half back with the injuries to Saad and Mcgov. If we had more cattle on the park or better smalls up forward to move the ball quickly I'm sure we would.

Last edited:
Voss is their weak link. They have the 2 best big forwards in the game and he plays slow possession footy. bizarre.

Long way to go back that has been a bit of the elephant in the room for me, seems Voss has an attitude how we want to play should beat anyone, so if a side changes how they play and what we do isn’t working like v Pies last week we just don’t do anything to counter.

We do try to move the ball faster and generally have been, but we have been bad on the turnover.

With small margins for the top 6/8 sides not having as good a tactical nous in the box could end up being the difference.

Thats because our small forwards do absolute fek all and our mids are big lumbering brutes. We've also been missing most of our drive off half back with the injuries to Saad and Mcgov. If we had more cattle on the park or better smalls up forward to move the ball quickly I'm sure we would.
You really need to just put this in your signature as it's like watching an Excuse Parrot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Animated GIF

2-2 against top 4 contenders
2-1 against top 8 contenders
2-0 against bottom 4

Form line stacks up well enough. Sydney game next week is very important. Will be tough to find a win there.

% probably the best indicator. We are in that group of 5-8 teams at the moment but still confident our best footy stacks up and they haven’t played to that level yet outside of a half against Brisbane.

Saad, Motlop, Williams, Fogarty, Docherty, (Cerra?), the best 23 outs so we are at the point where it is manageable. Docherty and Silvagni won’t be available this year and Marchbank is what he is, no point naming him. Time to start banking wins.

Still of the opinion we're a year away. Few deficiencies across the squad are still an issue but if we have a smart off season I think we're only 1-2 pieces away from being right in the mix.

Will be a Bulldogs 2016 premier, no one really wants it and just can't see Geelong being able to sustain.

Freo should be champing at it and seeing it as their Bradbury moment but it won't happen.

Probably be Port or some shit.

Still of the opinion we're a year away. Few deficiencies across the squad are still an issue but if we have a smart off season I think we're only 1-2 pieces away from being right in the mix.
I've never heard a premiership side ever refer themselves as 'a year away.'

Will be a Bulldogs 2016 premier, no one really wants it and just can't see Geelong being able to sustain.

Freo should be champing at it and seeing it as their Bradbury moment but it won't happen.

Probably be Port or some s**t.

It is never easy to pick the premier at round 9 when no one has really shown their best. No reason why Geelong can’t do it though.

Does he? they cut through Geelong the other week and their big blokes had missed their set shots before they'd taken them. I want Charlie and Harry to be an iconic one-two but they're just a bit ****in soft.

I've never heard a premiership side ever refer themselves as 'a year away.'
Well we have a couple of youngsters who are still a bit green and we need to bring in another forward option or two as our small fwds generally do SFA outside of Owies chiming in for his usual couple of goals.

Chuck a Stengle in our team and another year of experience into the Hollands boys and Motlop, Kemp etc and I think we'd be very hard to beat.

Probably be Port or some s**t.
Not sure that will be true with Geelong. After such a strong start they can look to manage players in the back half of the year once top 4 is pretty much locked in.

Sydney game next week is very important. Will be tough to find a win there.

Yep, unless injuries hit Sydney this weekend, can't see Carlton getting within 4-5 goals of them. They move the ball so fluently and setup so well in defense.
Their small forwards will go to work against this Carlton defense.

2-2 against top 4 contenders
2-1 against top 8 contenders
2-0 against bottom 4

Form line stacks up well enough. Sydney game next week is very important. Will be tough to find a win there.

% probably the best indicator. We are in that group of 5-8 teams at the moment but still confident our best footy stacks up and they haven’t played to that level yet outside of a half against Brisbane.

Saad, Motlop, Williams, Fogarty, Docherty, (Cerra?), the best 23 outs so we are at the point where it is manageable. Docherty and Silvagni won’t be available this year and Marchbank is what he is, no point naming him. Time to start banking wins.
Overall Carlton played no better or worse than they did against Geelong or Collingwood (played about 50% of the game well and 50% poorly). They just got on the right side of a close result, and were probably due that. And their personnel was seriously boosted, but with no real affect on performance.

People writing off the Blues were silly. People saying flaws were only personnel based were silly. Voss simply got his boys fired up, at least for a half, and it was enough. As I thought he would.

Yep, unless injuries hit Sydney this weekend, can't see Carlton getting within 4-5 goals of them. They move the ball so fluently and setup so well in defense.
Their small forwards will go to work against this Carlton defense.

Our big mids and forwards will trouble them especially on the smaller ground.

Thought we held Pickett and Fritsch well tonight so no reason why we can’t do similar again.

Sydney will rightly be favourites and most will tip them but I don’t think it’ll be a thumping if that’s what you’re implying.

Back