Preview Carlton vs Richmond, Round 1, MCG, 17 March 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a while since Carlton beat Richmond, especially in round 1.

giphy.gif

But if you believe the hype, the Blues are still coming.

download.jpg

The below picture surprises me because there are no spelling mistakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399033676.206988.jpg
For once, these two teams won't open the season.
Let's delve a little deeper into this round 1 bye...I mean clash.

PERSONELL
Carlton
The Blues will miss Sam Walsh. He's an out and out star.
Good news for all footy fans is that Sam Docherty will play after a battle with testicular cancer. I think we all don't mind seeing him fit and healthy again.
Liam Stocker, Josh Honey and Caleb Marchbank are all nursing injuries in what looks like a pretty healthy list overall.

Richmond
No 9 draft pick Josh Gibcus will debut.
Kane Lambert is likely to miss a large chunk, if not all, of the season while Jack Graham won't be fit for round 1.
Co-skipper Dylan Grimes is making a last ditch bid to be fit while Toby Nankervis has the spicy cough, but gets out of isolation the day before the game and is available.
Nick Vlastuin looks set to miss.

MATCH UPS
If Grimes doesn't come up, it puts a massive weight onto the shoulders of Gibcus who would have to stand one of McKay or Curnow. However, he is recovering quickly from a hand injury and is expected to line up.
Noah Balta has been playing up forward, but he may need to be ready to race back to the defensive 50 if need be.
Trent Cotchin looks like he has a new lease on footy life and Patrick Cripps finally looks to have shaken off all those niggles. Both midfielders could spend a fair chunk of time in each other's presence.

NEW FACES
Carlton has added another overpriced hack back flanker in George Hewett to compliment the other dud half backs in Adam Saad and Zac Williams.
Adam Cerra will slot nicely into the midfield because there is no room on the half back flank.
Michael Voss is the new face of the Carlton Football Club.

images.jpg

As noted earlier, Josh Gibcus will debut for Richmond as will Robbie Tarrant while mastercoach David Teague will debut as a Richmond assistant after leading Carlton to their most successful period in 15 years.

E9dFdprVEAEdkiU.jpg

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
David King: "I think Richmond will make a statement on Thursday. Carlton turned the ball over 95 times against Melbourne, who are finding their way back into it. "If they turn it over 95 times against the Tigers, they'll lose by 15 goals. No one punishes like Richmond."

download (1).jpg

WHO WINS?
According to Carlton fans, the wait is finally over.
And to be fair, there is reason for at least some form optimism at Paper Bag Oval.
David King to be the prophet: Richmond by 90 points.

Last edited:
Hopefully George does something stupid and gets suspended for the rest of his contract
He would need to strip down starkers - showing off the massive swastika tattoo on his back, then pluck an infant from the crowd and king hit an umpire with it. What I'm saying is there's a chance.

Probably the first time that I’m really doubting whether we win this game or not. I’ve been fairly confident with the season openers for a while before this one.

I think Carlton will win if Grimes doesn’t play. Our midfield has been pretty average defensively this preseason and I don’t expect that to change. With a relatively unsettled and new backline, I think Carlton will take enough of an advantage to win through Curnow and McKay. Well, unless they get a lot of inside 50s and are wayward in their kicking for goal.

If Grimes plays, then I will back us for the win. Our defence is so much more experienced with him in the side. Regardless of how many entries they get, I think our defence will restrict them enough to give us a winning score.

TL;DR - If no Grimes, then Carlton to win IMO. If Grimes, then Richmond to win IMO.

I love the fact that Doc is playing and I seriously wish him well. Let me be clear, what he has gone through and overcome to make it this far makes him a legend in my books. That said, the blues still do two things which has not changed and is the reason why we always beat this mob. 1, there disposal as a side is s**t, if they give up another 95 turnovers against us we will romp it home. 2 they still cant defend when a side gets a run on. In both preseason games that also has been on display with them also having essentially outside walsh a full list to choose from.

I expect them to come out aggressively but we have the tools to contain them. They have one decent forward in McKay who struggles against team defensive sides. Curnow the great hope would have to be the most over rated player in the league, what actually has he done after his knee ? How many games has he won of his own boot ? People are still caught up in the awesome potential he showed as a kid, he is not a kid anymore.

There midfield is so one pace and one sided without Walsh. Cripps, you know the bloke that not 6 months ago most blues supporters wanted traded is there extractor, outside of him, they dont have anyone else. Cerra is outside and butchers the ball under pressure, The sydney player is a neat footballer but not a prime mover. Having Prestia, Cotchin, Martin and Edwards will easily match up on them.

There rucks are potato land. Nank 100% if one of there mids starts motoring will most likely spear tackle Cripps to the ground and if that does not happen Nank will be another mid and both there rucks dont have the tank to go with him. The other benefit with Nank is that he can easily clog up the blues forwards leading lanes and clunk mark after mark.

There back line outside of Witering is beyond s**t. Saad cant defend 1-1 to save himself ditto the 800k Williams who is so selfish he has a photo of himself in his back pocket when he plays. Without Jones they no longer have a strong negator and please if you believe McCheese after one preseason has become a disciplined intercepting champion, you must be a closet blue.

I have no doubt they will be improved, like Hardwick when he first came across, Voss will instill the basics but that is really all he can do in the short time he has had. So once we break there system down we will run away with it BUT this time they are not playing a richmond outfit who has had a dramatically shorter preseason then the blues. They will face an experienced, hungry, fully rested Tiger side out to prove a point,

I love the fact that Doc is playing and I seriously wish him well. Let me be clear, what he has gone through and overcome to make it this far makes him a legend in my books. That said, the blues still do two things which has not changed and is the reason why we always beat this mob. 1, there disposal as a side is sh*t, if they give up another 95 turnovers against us we will romp it home. 2 they still cant defend when a side gets a run on. In both preseason games that also has been on display with them also having essentially outside walsh a full list to choose from.

I expect them to come out aggressively but we have the tools to contain them. They have one decent forward in McKay who struggles against team defensive sides. Curnow the great hope would have to be the most over rated player in the league, what actually has he done after his knee ? How many games has he won of his own boot ? People are still caught up in the awesome potential he showed as a kid, he is not a kid anymore.

There midfield is so one pace and one sided without Walsh. Cripps, you know the bloke that not 6 months ago most blues supporters wanted traded is there extractor, outside of him, they dont have anyone else. Cerra is outside and butchers the ball under pressure, The sydney player is a neat footballer but not a prime mover. Having Prestia, Cotchin, Martin and Edwards will easily match up on them.

There rucks are potato land. Nank 100% if one of there mids starts motoring will most likely spear tackle Cripps to the ground and if that does not happen Nank will be another mid and both there rucks dont have the tank to go with him. The other benefit with Nank is that he can easily clog up the blues forwards leading lanes and clunk mark after mark.

There back line outside of Witering is beyond sh*t. Saad cant defend 1-1 to save himself ditto the 800k Williams who is so selfish he has a photo of himself in his back pocket when he plays. Without Jones they no longer have a strong negator and please if you believe McCheese after one preseason has become a disciplined intercepting champion, you must be a closet blue.

I have no doubt they will be improved, like Hardwick when he first came across, Voss will instill the basics but that is really all he can do in the short time he has had. So once we break there system down we will run away with it BUT this time they are not playing a richmond outfit who has had a dramatically shorter preseason then the blues. They will face an experienced, hungry, fully rested Tiger side out to prove a point,

Lmao McCheese

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would need to strip down starkers - showing off the massive swastika tattoo on his back, then pluck an infant from the crowd and king hit an umpire with it. What I'm saying is there's a chance.
If he was to do that - they would send him to counselling and make him offer an apology .... so he'd be playing the week after ....

Having a read through the Carlton game preview thread - their season is living and dying on this result. The amount of posts stating that if they win then their season is headed for big things vs if they lose then it'll be another mediocre year is staggering. Imagine putting so much hope/context into a round 1 result. There's 21 more games to go!!

For us, it'll obviously be good to win, and I fully expect us to. But if we lose, I have no doubt that it won't suddenly derail our season - our system is very good, key players have had their best pre-season in years, and I think we're in for a good year regardless.

Having a read through the Carlton game preview thread - their season is living and dying on this result. The amount of posts stating that if they win then their season is headed for big things vs if they lose then it'll be another mediocre year is staggering. Imagine putting so much hope/context into a round 1 result. There's 21 more games to go!!

For us, it'll obviously be good to win, and I fully expect us to. But if we lose, I have no doubt that it won't suddenly derail our season - our system is very good, key players have had their best pre-season in years, and I think we're in for a good year regardless.
If the script is going repeat itself over the last 4 years. Carlton will lose but the supporters will only see positives despite the loss. They go in the next couple of rounds expecting to snag a win but end up losing and reality hits them that they are in for a mediocre year.

Having said that though, the Carlton team is the best it has been for the last 8-9 years; and it's hard to place how we are going to go this year (We could finish as high as 3rd or fall as low as 12th). This is the first time where I'm going into a game not being certain of a win against them for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back