Preview Carlton vs Richmond, Round 1, MCG, 17 March 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a while since Carlton beat Richmond, especially in round 1.

giphy.gif

But if you believe the hype, the Blues are still coming.

download.jpg

The below picture surprises me because there are no spelling mistakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399033676.206988.jpg
For once, these two teams won't open the season.
Let's delve a little deeper into this round 1 bye...I mean clash.

PERSONELL
Carlton
The Blues will miss Sam Walsh. He's an out and out star.
Good news for all footy fans is that Sam Docherty will play after a battle with testicular cancer. I think we all don't mind seeing him fit and healthy again.
Liam Stocker, Josh Honey and Caleb Marchbank are all nursing injuries in what looks like a pretty healthy list overall.

Richmond
No 9 draft pick Josh Gibcus will debut.
Kane Lambert is likely to miss a large chunk, if not all, of the season while Jack Graham won't be fit for round 1.
Co-skipper Dylan Grimes is making a last ditch bid to be fit while Toby Nankervis has the spicy cough, but gets out of isolation the day before the game and is available.
Nick Vlastuin looks set to miss.

MATCH UPS
If Grimes doesn't come up, it puts a massive weight onto the shoulders of Gibcus who would have to stand one of McKay or Curnow. However, he is recovering quickly from a hand injury and is expected to line up.
Noah Balta has been playing up forward, but he may need to be ready to race back to the defensive 50 if need be.
Trent Cotchin looks like he has a new lease on footy life and Patrick Cripps finally looks to have shaken off all those niggles. Both midfielders could spend a fair chunk of time in each other's presence.

NEW FACES
Carlton has added another overpriced hack back flanker in George Hewett to compliment the other dud half backs in Adam Saad and Zac Williams.
Adam Cerra will slot nicely into the midfield because there is no room on the half back flank.
Michael Voss is the new face of the Carlton Football Club.

images.jpg

As noted earlier, Josh Gibcus will debut for Richmond as will Robbie Tarrant while mastercoach David Teague will debut as a Richmond assistant after leading Carlton to their most successful period in 15 years.

E9dFdprVEAEdkiU.jpg

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
David King: "I think Richmond will make a statement on Thursday. Carlton turned the ball over 95 times against Melbourne, who are finding their way back into it. "If they turn it over 95 times against the Tigers, they'll lose by 15 goals. No one punishes like Richmond."

download (1).jpg

WHO WINS?
According to Carlton fans, the wait is finally over.
And to be fair, there is reason for at least some form optimism at Paper Bag Oval.
David King to be the prophet: Richmond by 90 points.

Last edited:
The media going hard for us to be top 4 and biggest threat to Melbourne. Bucks and Kingy in particular very big on us with our game style and personal changes this year.

bucks has let his love for Richmond show now that he's been sacked from colonwood

In the last fortnight he's been frothing over our gameplan, coaching, lunch, Grimes and dusty

I’ll be looking at lynch to pull his bloody finger out and take a few marks. Kick a few goals………..
you know a output close to matching his pay grade………..not one matching country league.

Lynch could never play a game again while still getting paid $800k per year and he would be worth every cent for 2019 alone. Without him, we don't win it.

I think they’ll win in a close one

Would like to see Balta play back on 1 of McKay, Curnow

Broad, Gibcus would struggle against em and be a cause for concern

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Na leave Balta up forward to stretch Carlton's weaker defense.

Tarrant on McKay, Grimes on Curnow, Broad on Silvagni, Gibcus on the resting ruck with help from Nank sitting back there.

Plenty of height imo :)

Looking at and reading about pre-season training and practice games and taking in to consideration Carlton"s no doubted improvement, I have been a little nervous about the game, but i just have a strong feeling that this Richmond team will win. Not only that, but they will want to make a statement doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett and Chaos as the wings surely
I give Castagna a lot of s**t on here but tbh I really just hate him as a forward, not necessarily as a player. He should have made the transition to midfield years ago where he can use his strengths to some effect, rather than just piss-bolting around our f50 waving his arms.

I give Castagna a lot of sh*t on here but tbh I really just hate him as a forward, not necessarily as a player. He should have made the transition to midfield years ago where he can use his strengths to some effect, rather than just piss-bolting around our f50 waving his arms.
He's one of the key ingredients of playing off a "short pitch". Pressure in our F50 and lock the ball in, then score. I'm amazed how many of our Richmond supporters can't see his value.

He's one of the key ingredients of playing off a "short pitch". Pressure in our F50 and lock the ball in, then score. I'm amazed how many of our Richmond supporters can't see his value.
No issue with that but his kicking, and how does Faarts get a start?

Castagna has a look that invites annoyance. Runs around like a headless chook, kicks for goal like a headless chook.

But he tries his guts out and fills a role incredibly well. It's the whole thing of the sum of the parts is greater than the parts themselves. If you reckon the sum is just the gusy playing he is a waste. if you think of it as a system where people fill roles within it, George makes much more sense.

plus he always gives his all, which is worth a lot on its own.

I have not seen any of Carlton this preseason, but if we bring the pressure, and they have not finished cooking, we should win this comfortably and start the season strong against a lower club.
Really liked what I saw vs Hawks with the 2 big rucks and Balta running riot as the new chaos king, just the right amount of mayhem for our smalls and mids to cash in. Can't wait!

True. We would have lost to Geelong in the PF in 2019 if it wasn't for him (and Dusty).

100%

And, we wouldn't have been in a prelim without him. People completely underestimate his importance, then and now.
Got a feeling though, he is primed for a big season.

It’s been a while since Carlton beat Richmond, especially in round 1.

View attachment 1344577

But if you believe the hype, the Blues are still coming.

View attachment 1344578

The below picture surprises me because there are no spelling mistakes.

View attachment 1344590
For once, these two teams won't open the season.
Let's delve a little deeper into this round 1 bye...I mean clash.

PERSONELL
Carlton
The Blues will miss Sam Walsh. He's an out and out star.
Good news for all footy fans is that Sam Docherty will play after a battle with testicular cancer. I think we all don't mind seeing him fit and healthy again.
Liam Stocker, Josh Honey and Caleb Marchbank are all nursing injuries in what looks like a pretty healthy list overall.

Richmond
No 9 draft pick Josh Gibcus will debut.
Kane Lambert is likely to miss a large chunk, if not all, of the season while Jack Graham won't be fit for round 1.
Co-skipper Dylan Grimes is making a last ditch bid to be fit while Toby Nankervis has the spicy cough, but gets out of isolation the day before the game and is available.
Nick Vlastuin looks set to miss.

MATCH UPS
If Grimes doesn't come up, it puts a massive weight onto the shoulders of Gibcus who would have to stand one of McKay or Curnow. However, he is recovering quickly from a hand injury and is expected to line up.
Noah Balta has been playing up forward, but he may need to be ready to race back to the defensive 50 if need be.
Trent Cotchin looks like he has a new lease on footy life and Patrick Cripps finally looks to have shaken off all those niggles. Both midfielders could spend a fair chunk of time in each other's presence.

NEW FACES
Carlton has added another overpriced hack back flanker in George Hewett to compliment the other dud half backs in Adam Saad and Zac Williams.
Adam Cerra will slot nicely into the midfield because there is no room on the half back flank.
Michael Voss is the new face of the Carlton Football Club.

View attachment 1344604

As noted earlier, Josh Gibcus will debut for Richmond as will Robbie Tarrant while mastercoach David Teague will debut as a Richmond assistant after leading Carlton to their most successful period in 15 years.

View attachment 1344609

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
David King: "I think Richmond will make a statement on Thursday. Carlton turned the ball over 95 times against Melbourne, who are finding their way back into it. "If they turn it over 95 times against the Tigers, they'll lose by 15 goals. No one punishes like Richmond."

View attachment 1344593

WHO WINS?
According to Carlton fans, the wait is finally over.
And to be fair, there is reason for at least some form optimism at Paper Bag Oval.
David King to be the prophet: Richmond by 90 points.

Personality wise looks like Voss has mellowed and is less full on speaking on AFL360. He might go alright second time around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back