List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players they would want are not players we want to lose. It neuters our trading potential in next years trading period while leaving us with slim pickings at the draft. Youre just robbing Peter to pay Paul on the hope we could develop two early firsts quickly.

Im not against trading pick 1 this year. I dont like it but #inSOSwetrust. If we were to trade it, then I would want to be gaining a 2019 first round pick not losing one.

I don't see how it's robbing peter to pay paul. makes no sense to me. The rebuild is nearly done. We have the majority of what we need. If we trade next years first round it will be for a very good player NOW. How do we know that nexts first will be a better player? Bonus is they come in and develop with what we have.

Next year will probably be about 4-5 changes in total. At some stage we need to back our list and let it settle. After this trade period I believe that is what will happen

I don't see how it's robbing peter to pay paul. makes no sense to me. The rebuild is nearly done. We have the majority of what we need. If we trade next years first round it will be for a very good player NOW. How do we know that nexts first will be a better player? Bonus is they come in and develop with what we have.

Next year will probably be about 4-5 changes in total. At some stage we need to back our list and let it settle. After this trade period I believe that is what will happen

Theres no guarantee if we draft two highly rated kids one of them will be a "very good player NOW". In fact, Im certain they will run out of puff by the bye if we expect them to have immediate impact. Eric Pascoe said it himself that the view from within the club is "we dont need anymore kids".

Thats kinda my thinking too. Trading pick 1 - if deemed appropriate by the great man - should be about securing top line mature trades. We need our 2019 pick for that to happen and if anything we need to bolster it further with another one.

Pick 1 for pick 3 and GC 2019 first round is a livable trade scenario. That would leave us with our 2019 pick (top 6 if im being realistic) and Gold Coasts (top 2). One or both of those gets GWS to the table and then SOS can work a deal easily and quickly.

Pick 1 for pick 3 and GC 2019 first round is a livable trade scenario. That would leave us with our 2019 pick (top 6 if im being realistic) and Gold Coasts (top 2). One or both of those gets GWS to the table and then SOS can work a deal easily and quickly.

I do understand GCS made a strange trade last year.

Seriously why the hell would GCS do such a trade?

If Picks stay as they are, my reading of the tealeaves currenty is:

1. Car: Sam Walsh
2. GC: Jack Lukosius
3. GC: Izak Rankine
4. StK: Max King (chance of Smith)
5. PA: Ben King (chance of Smith or Rozee)
6. GC: Connor Rozee (chance of Caldwell)
7. WB: Bailey Smith
8. Ad: Jye Caldwell (chance of Jones)
9. GWS: Chayce Jones (chance of RCD)
10. PA: Jordan Clark (from here on there are other chances for all picks)
11. GWS: Riley Collier-Dawkins
12. Gee: Jackson Hately
13. Ad: Zac Butters
14. Fr: Liam Stocker
15. PA: Ian Hill
16. Ad: Sam Sturt
17. R: Xavier O'Halloran
18. BL: Curtis Taylor
19. GWS: not sure
20. WC: not sure
21. Ad: Bailey Williams

I think Blakey will be bid on between 4&6. Thomas will be bid on by Adelaides 2nd pick. Quaynor back end of 1st Rd. Briggs by either of Adelaide's 3rd or 4th picks or Richmonds. Kelly early 2nd Rd. West early 2nd Rd.

Puts down crystal ball..

It would severely limit our ability to trade for players next year though.

Bingo.
The club showed this year in the chase for Shiel that they believe the time has come to introduce established A grade talent.
This theme was further illustrated in trading all bar pick 1 for McGovern and Setterfield.
We cant just continue year after year to throw all our eggs into the draft basket , we've assembled a great young core now and they must be given the chance to play.
We will draft each year , with Walsh being the near perfect fit this year but you reach a limit on mass intake and they cant all play , in the end you have to back what you have at some point.
One would think with Walsh likely onboard this year , next year's 1st and 2020 1st would be well and truly on the table for established A grade talent in trade (FA the big bonus) with Barrass already indicating that 3 players are in our sights.
For better or worse , the core has now been built.
Its time to back it in and add selectively to it mainly through trade and FA with a limited annual sprinkling of draft picks.

Not sure if mentioned anywhere else but former Carlton player Brett scholl has a son in this this draft. Judged a late pick apparently. Mad Carlton supporter also.

Highlights on draft machine.
Lachie Sholl was named in the Cannons' best players on a number of occasions this year. His skills are pretty good & he is reasonably pacy. I see him as an extremely outside player (not unlike his father) who sometimes battles to stay relevant during games. He would require a fair bit of patience from coaches & supporters alike. Rookie draft is most likely where he will be picked up, but not necessarily by us.

Lachie Sholl was named in the Cannons' best players on a number of occasions this year. His skills are pretty good & he is reasonably pacy. I see him as an extremely outside player (not unlike his father) who sometimes battles to stay relevant during games. He would require a fair bit of patience from coaches & supporters alike. Rookie draft is most likely where he will be picked up, but not necessarily by us.
Uncle at North?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy time.

1 for 3, 24 & 29 is definitely worth consideration and a discussion with other key stakeholders within the club.

Remember, if Luko was Victorian and Walsh SA 100% the hype would be reversed.

If SOS knew he'd be getting the player he rated highest at #3, then fine I guess.

Otherwise, one may end up living with just a little regret and for those suggesting that sometimes (or often) you get better players later on, that's not the role of the recruiter to cast his ratings aside and rely on a little luck. That makes for bad (bad is putting it lightly) Recruiting / List Management.

Last day of pick trading today? I think so. Been great hasn't it? :)

Fair to say sos will have plenty of time to watch players tape.Pick 1 Thursday night then next pick 20 hours later.

Yeah. My thoughts are often at odds with Knightmare. And everyone else for that mater. We all have differing opinions and views.

I won't knock him though. He puts his view out there and everyone gets many wrong and many right.

Knightmare's view is not high on my preferred list though.

Just to give some perspective to that article - here are Knightmares 2013 rankings - pretty hit and miss :

2013.jpg

Is it really such a surprise though??? I've maintained that if you thought his head was in the right space then Rankine is the obvious choice. I think the way they construct their rankings means it does get slated more towards mids than KPPs, which may muddle the order a little. Otherwise though, it's generally OK.

I do agree with where they have RCD, Valente, Caldwell & Jones ranked. Might be a surprise to some, but I think it's much more realistic than most boards I've seen:
  • Valente - After our conversation the other day, isn't it interesting to see where they've got him???
  • Jones - I think many people here have had a much better handle on Jones than most draft boards all year.
  • RCD - I told you I had him in the 18-25 range. 30 may be a little harsh but then again..... You need to have a very good tank to play his position and his endurance levels tested in the bottom 20% at the Combine. I love factoring in upside, and his is potentially enormous, but it's incredibly risky at the same time.

Is it really such a surprise though??? I've maintained that if you thought his head was in the right space then Rankine is the obvious choice. I think the way they construct their rankings means it does get slated more towards mids than KPPs, which may muddle the order a little. Otherwise though, it's generally OK.

I do agree with where they have RCD, Valente, Caldwell & Jones ranked. Might be a surprise to some, but I think it's much more realistic than most boards I've seen:
  • Valente - After our conversation the other day, isn't it interesting to see where they've got him???
  • Jones - I think many people here have had a much better handle on Jones than most draft boards all year.
  • RCD - I told you I had him in the 18-25 range. 30 may be a little harsh but then again..... You need to have a very good tank to play his position and his endurance levels tested in the bottom 20% at the Combine. I love factoring in upside, and his is potentially enormous, but it's incredibly risky at the same time.
With RCD you are relying on him building his tank and learn to find more of the ball ( do the 2 may go hand in hand?). A bit too much wishful thinking for a first round pick

Yeah. My thoughts are often at odds with Knightmare. And everyone else for that mater. We all have differing opinions and views.
I won't knock him though. He puts his view out there and everyone gets many wrong and many right.
Knightmare's view is not high on my preferred list though.

We can all watch as many games as we want, but the one thing we can't properly gauge from a distance is the character/nature of the individual.

No player has excited me more than for Bootsma in his first year at the club.
Kid could do everything. Saw him running down Yarran with ease, extracting the ball out of stoppages, using his telescopic arms to execute brilliant spoils, hit the centre of the ground kicking torps out of full-back. Pin-point passes out of the back-line. What a hidden gun we had on our hands........until....... :)

Knightmare is more of a 'by the numbers' sort of amateur recruiter for mine.
That's not a bad thing, but I've found him not to have a broader vision for players, I've found some others to have.
Sometimes also, the marriage has to be right between club & player and if it's not, that talent just doesn't developed properly. It's not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back