Category B rookies at your club

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a subject worthy of in-depth debate

I see both arguments, both have valid points, both have faults
I'd be happy if they put some sort of cap on international CatB wages, ATM the rich clubs are getting a leg up, if say WC really rates a guy from abroad they'll simply out bid everyone else, poorer clubs have no chance.

Possibly replace rookie draft with a mid season draft.
Category B rookie list players simply become the only rookie listed types in future and not part of any draft system because they come from different pathways than teenagers going into national draft pool. The guys used simply as short term back up like Petrie and Alex Silvagni are clearly not rookies. These type of guys should be picked up in a mid-season draft in future. So if a club has a long term injury in future and need a ruck for example they apply for a pick in mid-season rookie draft, AFL approve all ones eligible and they run a mid-season draft and clubs can pick up guys from outside AFL club systems. You cannot pick up players from other AFL clubs at this point but guys playing country footy or major suburban leagues should be open to being drafted should they consent to being available for hire.

I doubt they will do this but I will watch with interest what changes AFL do next year around the rookie list situation.

From what I can tell. Give me an hour and I'll have this completed

Adelaide (2); Alex Keath, Hugh Greenwood
Brisbane (4); Matt Eagles, Blake Grewar, Cian Hanley, Reuben William
Carlton (2); Matt Korcheck, Ciaran Sheehan
Collingwood (2) Isiah Farrell - Wilson, Mason Cox
Essendon (1); Ben McNeice
Fremantle (0); -
Geelong (1); Mark O'Connor
Gold Coast (2); Jesse Joyce, Max Spencer
GWS (2); Jake Stein, Zac Sproule
Hawthorn (2); Connor Glass, Conor Nash
Melbourne (2); Corey Maynard, Joel Smith
North Melbourne (1); Tom Jeffries
Port Adelaide (1); Emmanuel Irra
Richmond (1); Ivan Soldo
St.Kilda (2); Ray Connellan, Daaragh Joyce
Sydney (3); Sam Fisher, Sam Murray, Colin O'Riordan
West Coast (2); Tarir Bayok, Paddy Brophy
Western Bulldogs (0); -
I believe Ray Connellan is on the main rookie list ( not cat b) due to having too many CAt B rookies

I believe Ray Connellan is on the main rookie list ( not cat b) due to having too many CAt B rookies
More to do with the deal the AFL cut with the GAA, only one Irishman allowed on the category B list

You forgot Francis Watson for WCE.

They won't for long.

How many Cat B rookies have the senior coach wondering which side is his dominate kicking side? And he a very nice kick.

186cm, really good leap and pace. Only started playing as a 17 year old as his community didn't have a team or a comp.

One to watch and exactly the type of player the Cat B program was meant to provide opportunities for.:thumbsu:

I have a feeling Connor Glass is now a Cat A rookie and Connor Nash is our Cat B Irish rep, bloody rediculous you can only have 1 Irish rep but numerous state academy reps. There was talk that Tristan Tweadie (indigenous academy) could be included as a Cat B rookie but we have nothing to confirm this has happened.

Once upon a time in the ND and Rookie drafts it was clear who had been upgraded or recruited in each category.
I think it's a good thing Connor Glass is still a catogry B because his wage won't come out of the salary cap. Also the Western Bulldogs signed Tristan Tweedie

Adelaide's two looking very good, Greenwood is looking sensational and Keith looks like he can play! Both in the side at the moment, hats off to Adelaide's recruiting!
Both are looking extremely good. Would definitely rather Keath over Hartigan that's for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back