Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the seven times we kicked it to him in open space. He marked two and dropped five.
He’s only played a handful of games and is coming in as the replacement for one of the best key forwards in Geelong history. I think we could put the dropped marks down to nerves. Hopefully he’ll get better with more consistency at the top level

Well the seven times we kicked it to him in open space. He marked two and dropped five.
It was a slippery ball. Not sure why that's so hard to understand. All of our forwards dropped marks. They'd hardly taken one until the last quarter. The Suns players are used to the conditions. Ours aren't.

I wonder whether it cooled down a bit and that's why it was easier for our players to take marks in the last quarter.

It was a slippery ball. Not sure why that's so hard to understand. All of our forwards dropped marks. They'd hardly taken one until the last quarter. The Suns players are used to the conditions. Ours aren't.

I wonder whether it cooled down a bit and that's why it was easier for our players to take marks in the last quarter.
I just don't see the need for comments like this, the rest of your comment was fine and can be responded to as such.

My comment was in reply to someone saying we didn't kick the ball to Neale when he was clear. We did. Seven times.

I didn't say throw Neale in the bin. In fact I praised him for getting free and backed him in to work on clunking those next time. I've also mentioned the humidity in this thread.

I'm not sure what else you want from me.

Doesn’t excuse being belted but… It is a pretty wild climate up there, heat and humidity, so far away from what Geelong play in. Even in summer it doesn’t get humid in Victoria. Suns on the other hand not only play up there every year, the summers in Queensland are gross, hot and humid like that. Cats never play those conditions well, hence the preseason and early season losses on the Gold Coast. We always fair better later in the year.

Doesn’t excuse being belted but… It is a pretty wild climate up there, heat and humidity, so far away from what Geelong play in. Even in summer it doesn’t get humid in Victoria. Suns on the other hand not only play up there every year, the summers in Queensland are gross, hot and humid like that. Cats never play those conditions well, hence the preseason and early season losses on the Gold Coast. We always fair better later in the year.
True. That’s why they ( and Brisbane) often suck when they come down south in winter every second week. They had also a couple of weeks in Darwin to acclimatise.

Footywire has him down for 5 marks and 2 goals. So he must have clunked 3 that weren’t meant for him? Also 2 goals. Which is twice as many as Hawkins got in his last 4 matches. Stats, eh?
It's an awful feeling when you snooker yourself, so brace for it.

"Can anyone show me where a mid was actually looking for Neale last night?"

Updated answer: 10 times. 5 he marked, 5 he dropped.

Note that I never once made a reference to Hawkins, in fact in this thread I have specifically stated that Neale presented pretty well and his 2 goals/1 assist were an upgrade on what Hawkins had provided lately.

Next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an awful feeling when you snooker yourself, so brace for it.

"Can anyone show me where a mid was actually looking for Neale last night?"

Updated answer: 10 times. 5 he marked, 5 he dropped.

Note that I never once made a reference to Hawkins, in fact in this thread I have specifically stated that Neale presented pretty well and his 2 goals/1 assist were an upgrade on what Hawkins had provided lately.

Next.
I feel pretty comfortable for our post Hawkins era when I see Neale play. Still raw, but plenty of upside
Our younger guys did ok last night in trying conditions . Conway, if he stays fit should play every week.
Our mids are not as bad as people make out. Our backs have had a few off weeks but they are still the same guys that have been lauded in recent past..
The sky has not fallen in yet

He had a bizarre game.

2 nice goals and a goal assist. But completely uncompetitive in the air and dropped about 5 sitters right in front of goal. He could've kicked a bag of 5 on another night. Needs to sort out his around the ground work, clunking marks and contesting the aerial ball to give our crumbers a chance.
If the wolves need to go after me for my Neale appraisal, this was my initial comment. Bizarre game meaning a mix of good and bad, where he easily could've kicked a bag. I should've added "he did well to get" the 2 nice goals and an assist.

I mentioned the things he needs to work on. He has a long career ahead of him to do so, none of this "back to the VFL/delist" nonsense. The first half he, Rohan and Henry allowed Gold Coast's talls to dominate. Our kicking was also dumb. He found more space as the game went on.

I'm not spitting venom, I consider the above constructive criticism. If he nails these elements he could actually be a very good forward.

I feel pretty comfortable for our post Hawkins era when I see Neale play. Still raw, but plenty of upside
Our younger guys did ok last night in trying conditions . Conway, if he stays fit should play every week.
Our mids are not as bad as people make out. Our backs have had a few off weeks but they are still the same guys that have been lauded in recent past..
The sky has not fallen in yet
Exactly, and all of our players dropped easy marks. My point was actually that if he clunked them and converted a few more set shots he'd be getting attention not just from us but even neutrals. Drop them and unfortunately it deflates the balloon, but I agree there is something to work with.

It was a bad game for Bruhn to have a stinker. Bruhn, Bowes and Parfitt as a collective would not look so bad if Atkins, Cam Guthrie and Blicavs weren't having some of their worst games as Cats. When Holmes and Mullin were around stoppages more we looked better, but the game was already done.

And I agree about the backs. Yes the supply was huge but other times we have managed to neutralise the first entry and end up safely navigating it out. This time we just handed them scoring shots or gave the ball straight back to them for a repeat entry. This is the defence we saw last year. It killed us.

Random thoughts the morning after:

* I guess the silver lining is that it's almost all the young guys leading the way, and the old blokes letting us down. If we absolutely have to have a "half the team is playing poorly" situation, I guess you'd rather it this way than being dependent on the old guys with no young blood coming through.

* Our midfield mix seems fine enough for inside grunt, but have very little in the way of run and 'silky skills' outside of Holmes and to a lesser extent Miers. People who follow the VFL more religiously than I do might be able to comment on which of Knevitt, Mannagh, Hardie, Clohesy, etc might fill that role?

* With some of the old guys seriously at risk of hitting the wall, I don't think we're in a position to say stuff like "Well Neale/Clark/whoever had a quieter one so they should be dropped". We need to pump as many games as possible into the kids from here on.

* Personally, I'd much rather finish 10-12th by just getting as many games into the youngsters as we can, than fall into the finals with all the older guys. I don't think the latter helps us much going forward.

* I agree with the comments that we need to base selection on output rather than reputation.

* I acknowledge the issues with the umpiring and fixturing.....but we don't want to go all 'Richmond Team Board' on here and start whining and sooking and making deflecting excuses about everything. A good team should be competitive anywhere, anytime.

Well as Scott said in the presser it’s not the norm that we cop a hiding like that, so let’s get it back next week for Tommy and keep up with the top 4!
Another thing is… Suns will only get better in the next 1-3 years you would think….
Good learnings for our coaches and Mackie on our youth and development.
Rowell & Anderson really good…

Next week -

Ins - Cameron, Hardie, Mannagh, O’Sullivan

Outs - J.Henry, C.Guthrie, Tuohy, Atkins

Give Hawkins a decent rest and Neale another opportunity. Unfair to drop him after one game.
I like that scenario and your ins and outs. I think the MC will want to play Hawkins in a game we are likely to win, that's at GMHBA in 2 weeks against Richmond.

* I guess the silver lining is that it's almost all the young guys leading the way, and the old blokes letting us down. If we absolutely have to have a "half the team is playing poorly" situation, I guess you'd rather it this way than being dependent on the old guys with no young blood coming through.

* Our midfield mix seems fine enough for inside grunt, but have very little in the way of run and 'silky skills' outside of Holmes and to a lesser extent Miers. People who follow the VFL more religiously than I do might be able to comment on which of Knevitt, Mannagh, Hardie, Clohesy, etc might fill that role?

* With some of the old guys seriously at risk of hitting the wall, I don't think we're in a position to say stuff like "Well Neale/Clark/whoever had a quieter one so they should be dropped". We need to pump as many games as possible into the kids from here on.

* Personally, I'd much rather finish 10-12th by just getting as many games into the youngsters as we can, than fall into the finals with all the older guys. I don't think the latter helps us much going forward.

* I agree with the comments that we need to base selection on output rather than reputation.

* I acknowledge the issues with the umpiring and fixturing.....but we don't want to go all 'Richmond Team Board' on here and start whining and sooking and making deflecting excuses about everything. A good team should be competitive anywhere, anytime.
"Our midfield mix seems fine enough for inside grunt"
We were smashed inside and outside last night against GCS. I don't know how you can give our midfield a fine enough rating in any area when they were absolutely smashed.

What's this inside grunt you are talking about? Smashed on the inside.

Disagree about just playing the kids. The hope would be to manage Danger, Duncan, Guthrie and Hawkins back to full fitness on the back half of the year. Rotate the kids through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back