Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't see the need for comments like this, the rest of your comment was fine and can be responded to as such.

My comment was in reply to someone saying we didn't kick the ball to Neale when he was clear. We did. Seven times.

I didn't say throw Neale in the bin. In fact I praised him for getting free and backed him in to work on clunking those next time. I've also mentioned the humidity in this thread.

I'm not sure what else you want from me.
Apologies. I was rushing, looking at the thread before work.

You’re right. I had missed your other comments.

I feel pretty comfortable for our post Hawkins era when I see Neale play. Still raw, but plenty of upside
Our younger guys did ok last night in trying conditions . Conway, if he stays fit should play every week.
Our mids are not as bad as people make out. Our backs have had a few off weeks but they are still the same guys that have been lauded in recent past..
The sky has not fallen in yet

I wish I could live my life with this kinda optimism.

It's poor. But it's obvious why. Look at the teams we've played in the last 4 weeks.

What do Cerra, Walsh, Cripps, Petracca, Viney, Oliver, Rozee, Wines, Butters, JHF, Anderson, Rowell and Flanders have in common?

They were all taken before Geelong had a pick at those drafts. This is equalization in action and the fact we're not deep in the bottom 4 and actually have some very talented midfielders coming through is a miracle.
This is why we need to get to work on trades and FA this offseason.

I, for one, don't really fancy becoming a bottom 4 side in order to get access to players of that quality.

anyway the message is clear - criticise the umps at your peril

Think of it from a particular umps perspective, if not all of them -
they indirectly shitcanned us to the point the AFL called a meeting,(Scott says it wasn't about that, but please, that's protective and he publicly said they make mistakes, are we mushrooms?) What was the head coach of umpiring in that meeting for?

The AFL/umps explained to them the finer points of HTB, so they know what to expect and given us further licence to call it as we see it. So suffer.

Last edited:
anyway the message is clear - criticise the umps at your peril
U think they swayed the game outta our grasp?? lol
I think when u play the way we did we got pretty much what was deserved.
Yeah there might of been a few iffy decisions but thats been happening since my first game in 1974.

U think they swayed the game outta our grasp?? lol
I think when u play the way we did we got pretty much what was deserved.
Yeah there might of been a few iffy decisions but thats been happening since my first game in 1974.

You must be joking- 17-3 is unheard of.
Confused our players early and put them at a psychological disadvantage.
No one is using that pathetic and biased display as the reason we lost, but come on, it mattered, especially early.
I'm going to torture myself with a few replays and count up what would have been fair calls, and non calls.

Rite of Passage mistake - the good players only make that mistake once or twice in their careers.

Conway's was almost comical; Darren Milburn in a final less so. Dasher never made that same mistake again his long career, not ever that I recall.

Anyway;

I wrote a bit of a rant in relation to the umpires last night but ultimately scrapped it - glad to see the validation of other supporters who were just as disgusted as I was.

The 1st half in particular was disgraceful, completely one-sided and inconsistent.

Gold Coast have some genuine class players in Rowell, Anderson, Humphrey and Flanders, they don’t need gifts from the maggots.

There’s at least half a dozen shockers I could pinpoint, but what is the point?

As a separate (but still relevant) observation, Chris Scott was bang-on when he called out the current state of the HTB interpretation - last night was ridiculous. The umpires did at least call most of these consistently, but when a player is getting wrapped up and turned 360 degrees in a tackle only to eventually drop the ball on to their boot for a glancing 3-metre ‘kick’ you begin to wonder what is the point of even having tackling as a feature of our game.
Yep- spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it seems we see the same thing.
Stewart has been very average indeed. He can't handle the negative tag very well.
Looks frustrated and his influence which we need has been sorely missed.
Jack looks like he has been concussed for the past 2 weeks TBH... in a daze sometimes.
Worrying signs as i thought he was our key in the back 6.

I don't think it's the negative tag. I don't think he's been the same player since the concussion. We saw a similar thing last year with Jeremy Cameron.

I rate our forwards and defenders. Our midfield is the worst in the league
Our defenders have been shocking the past 3 weeks, and no it cannot be dumped on the midfield despite them being poor too.

We have been uncompetitive across our defensive 75m against three quite average forward lines.

Our defenders have been shocking the past 3 weeks, and no it cannot be dumped on the midfield despite them being poor too.

We have been uncompetitive across our defensive 75m against three quite average forward lines.
Our midfield has been beyond shocking the entire year. Hard to defend when the ball is being speared in 70 times a game with no pressure.

You must be joking- 17-3 is unheard of.
Confused our players early and put them at a psychological disadvantage.
No one is using that pathetic and biased display as the reason we lost, but come on, it mattered, especially early.
I'm going to torture myself with a few replays and count up what would have been fair calls, and non calls.
Unheard of yet we saw it tonight.
Is it rare? Yep. Was our performance last night rare? Yep.
The last half was comedy capers from our boys.
Didn't play the conditions well and were beaten by a far superior midfield yet again.
I don't blame umpiring for that performance last night at all.

I call that part kinda BS TBH.
I've played for 20 years to never be rattled by a few dodgy calls.
As they've (dodged calls) been around for centuries.
These guys are pros. Rattled from a call or two or even 4?? C'mon man.
Nah sorry i'm not buying it.

Beaten well and truly all across the park last night.
When your Captain doesn't take a mark u know you've had a dirty day at the office.

Not to worry. GWS Giants in 8 days time will portray a clearer picture on where we are at.
Cheers Bud

Rowell is the type of player you need to slam into the ground when you tackle him. However you risk giving away a free kick for a rough tackle. I say rough because that's how umpires are enforcing it now. Swinging him around won't stop him getting the ball away and trying to get him in a bear hug is hard due to his low center of gravity and big head. He gets a lot of free kicks and he gets away with all sorts of flickpasses and dodgy handballs. He's going to burn out at some stage but the dangerous tackle rule has given him a new lease on life. He plays like a mini Clayton Oliver but Oliver isn't protected by the umpires.

While I'm talking about free kicks, the umpires saw every free kick possible for Gold Coast, even ones that weren't there, but ignored several illegal disposals including some flat out throws as well as ignoring GC infringements against Geelong players in marking contests. Most of this occurred in the first half when Gold Coast was on a role. It was 9 frees kicks to 1 in the first quarter and 17 to 3 around half time or into the 3rd quarter. I've never seen such an imbalance. The chances of an imbalance such as that would place it way out on the bell curve. I hope Geelong asks for an umpire review of the game because the umpiring definitely affected the game. Gold Coast didn't need any help but they got plenty.

Rowell a good young player .
But in the past the cats have worked away to take on players like him.
I remember Neale and Bont we gotten to the ball first to take weapons away from them.

There was none of that last night.

Our midfield has been beyond shocking the entire year. Hard to defend when the ball is being speared in 70 times a game with no pressure.
Our midfield has been significantly worse the past 3 weeks (seriously, look at opposition score from clearance and midfielder score involvement differentials...they have absolutely exploded compared the prior 7) BUT the defensive decline is not just down to that.

Round 8-10: Stewart has been very bad, as opposed to elite. J.Henry has been dreadful. Kolo has been average, at times lumbering and clumsy again. Tuohy is cooked. Duncan had a couple of stinkers. SDK was just going okay then missed last night. Zuthrie had been good but also had a shocker against the Suns. I still consider Holmes an everywhere-man utility more than a defender, and he doesn't well, defend.

How can you defend that group of players? If they performed as they did round 1-7 we would've won in both round 8 and 9.

If he had an explosive, midfield bull or 2 he would compliment them beautifully IMO.
I’m just happy that we have a developing ruckman who isn’t afraid to be an extra midfielder and get down and dirty with the 1% acts

Been a long ****ing time since we have seen that

Unheard of yet we saw it tonight.
Is it rare? Yep. Was our performance last night rare? Yep.
The last half was comedy capers from our boys.
Didn't play the conditions well and were beaten by a far superior midfield yet again.
I don't blame umpiring for that performance last night at all.

I call that part kinda BS TBH.
I've played for 20 years to never be rattled by a few dodgy calls.
As they've (dodged calls) been around for centuries.
These guys are pros. Rattled from a call or two or even 4?? C'mon man.
Nah sorry i'm not buying it.

Beaten well and truly all across the park last night.
When your Captain doesn't take a mark u know you've had a dirty day at the office.

Not to worry. GWS Giants in 8 days time will portray a clearer picture on where we are at.
Cheers Bud
The rule tweaks around HTB favour bull mids who are first to the ball even more, and throws/drops are punished even less than in the past.

So you adapt or die. Improvement in effectiveness of tackle/pressure, and a more proactive mindset (or players) at stoppages so that we can be first to the ball are needed.

It sounds silly but umpires get on a roll for the team with the impetus. Even in our wins, we were losing at the contest and then slingshotting on the counter attack. So still losing the free kick counts. Since we have gone but honest triers to uncompetitive, the umpires naturally are harsh on a team like that and generous to the marauding bulls.

And Scott was given his medicine too. Everyone knows it. I had already dealt with it before a ball was bounced.

Our midfield has been significantly worse the past 3 weeks (seriously, look at opposition score from clearance and midfielder score involvement differentials...they have absolutely exploded compared the prior 7) BUT the defensive decline is not just down to that.

Round 8-10: Stewart has been very bad, as opposed to elite. J.Henry has been dreadful. Kolo has been average, at times lumbering and clumsy again. Tuohy is cooked. Duncan had a couple of stinkers. SDK was just going okay then missed last night. Zuthrie had been good but also had a shocker against the Suns. I still consider Holmes an everywhere-man utility more than a defender, and he doesn't well, defend.

How can you defend that group of players? If they performed as they did round 1-7 we would've won in both round 8 and 9.

So far this year our mids have been bad but we had alot go though there to maybe wear out teams .
There seemed to be less go though there last 3 weeks .

Since not many of our forwards go though there .

I would drop Rohan for Shaun Mannagha who can get 5 CBA a quarter offer something different.
Give Mullin a tagging role.

Adtins and MOC on the bloke for mitchy knivet, Ted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back