Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel pretty comfortable for our post Hawkins era when I see Neale play. Still raw, but plenty of upside
Our younger guys did ok last night in trying conditions . Conway, if he stays fit should play every week.
Our mids are not as bad as people make out. Our backs have had a few off weeks but they are still the same guys that have been lauded in recent past..
The sky has not fallen in yet
Have you not watched most of the season? A lot of weeks, but especially the last month, our midfield has been absolutely smashed.

The Carlton game was showing what was to come, and since the Blues win our midfield is getting smashed.

I'm still trying to get my head around whoever said Conway was beaten last night.

21 disposals, 11 clearances, a goal assist, plus a few score involvements and intercepts.

His opponent Moyle had more hit outs but 16 disposals and 6 clearances.

Conway edged it if anything.

Don't worry who ever said that ,

Chilli Conway was good

I'm still trying to get my head around whoever said Conway was beaten last night.

21 disposals, 11 clearances, a goal assist, plus a few score involvements and intercepts.

Especially considering when some have said he can't run out games has no tank etc etc...
Bloody humid crappy conditions but the big fella kept pugging away.
Onwards and Upwards Chilli

Is this the cliff? I've heard people talking about it for years now. Maybe we've arrived.
It's NOT the cliff. It is a form slump accentuated by key outs, and a bizarre blasé attitude by the coach, IMO (fielding a B grade team). Hopefully the young players will have learnt a valuable lesson, and hopefully the Club makes it an absolute priority to recruit an elite midfielder.

I think the stat sheet flatters Conway. His ruck losses were big ones. He doesn’t ever half those ruck contests, he either wins it or leaves us badly exposed.

That is just inexperience. He is clearly a highly promising ruck. But in all honesty, he did not have a good game yesterday when it mattered and the Gold Coast ruck was quite influential in key moments.

Unheard of yet we saw it tonight.
Is it rare? Yep. Was our performance last night rare? Yep.
The last half was comedy capers from our boys.
Didn't play the conditions well and were beaten by a far superior midfield yet again.
I don't blame umpiring for that performance last night at all.

I call that part kinda BS TBH.
I've played for 20 years to never be rattled by a few dodgy calls.
As they've (dodged calls) been around for centuries.
These guys are pros. Rattled from a call or two or even 4?? C'mon man.
Nah sorry i'm not buying it.

Beaten well and truly all across the park last night.
When your Captain doesn't take a mark u know you've had a dirty day at the office.

Not to worry. GWS Giants in 8 days time will portray a clearer picture on where we are at.
Cheers Bud
"a few dodgy calls" - Anyone who watched that game closely as I did would be staggered by your summation. The umpiring hurt Geelong, especially early in the game when Cats players were having a crack. I noted 4 GC HTBs ignored by one umpire and 2 illegal disposals, one throw, one flick pass, in the first quarter alone. And multiple of those 9 free kicks (GC) to 1 (Geelong) were for the slightest holding and tough but legal tackles. Geelong was punished by the umpiring for no obvious reason.

Last edited:
I think the stat sheet flatters Conway. His ruck losses were big ones. He doesn’t ever half those ruck contests, he either wins it or leaves us badly exposed.

That is just inexperience. He is clearly a highly promising ruck. But in all honesty, he did not have a good game yesterday when it mattered and the Gold Coast ruck was quite influential in key moments.

Was a perfect game for GC to play Moyle.

Moyle an mature ruck and is AFL ready .
Clubs coming hard for him .
GC will wanna keep him ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fact that Henry got done for dissent in the last quarter clearly showed he had had enough of the BS umpiring.
Did it cost us the game, no way. But it certainly made for a frustrating experience.

When did the handball over the head to someone behind go from being called a throw to a legitimate handball? I distinctly remember this being coached out of doing this as a younger fella (some time ago now, admittedly).

I think the fact that Henry got done for dissent in the last quarter clearly showed he had had enough of the BS umpiring.
Did it cost us the game, no way. But it certainly made for a frustrating experience.

When did the handball over the head to someone behind go from being called a throw to a legitimate handball? I distinctly remember this being coached out of doing this as a younger fella (some time ago now, admittedly).

I thought it was Neale who got the dissent free against?

Next week -

Ins - Cameron, Hardie, Mannagh, O’Sullivan

Outs - J.Henry, C.Guthrie, Tuohy, Atkins

Give Hawkins a decent rest and Neale another opportunity. Unfair to drop him after one game.
Cannot agree with Neale at all. Does not deserve a reprieve.
VFL for a month or more

He was the only one in midfield you could say broke even. He has stuff to work on but touched the ball more than any other midfielder and fought like Hell, in what his 5th ever AFL game?

In our best 5 players last night. NOT the issue. Stanley the previous few weeks was diabolical.

The umps are totally useless .

They can't focues on the game .
They been getting dissent all year but bearly pay it.

Ump appreciation round .....= appreciation for been 💩 at your job ..

He was the only one in midfield you could say broke even. He has stuff to work on but touched the ball more than any other midfielder and fought like Hell, in what his 5th ever AFL game?

In our best 5 players last night. NOT the issue. Stanley the previous few weeks was diabolical.

All of these things are true. If we were not theoretically in contention, you would be rapt with Conway’s game.

But until last night I still had hopes of playing deep in September.

And he is not near being ready to lead a finals assault.

And yes, Stanley is worse now. So that is not great, and the guys at his feet are even worse in their roles.

So not really a great picture emerging.

How Lukocious wasn’t called for a throw when he chucked it over his head to a player in the goal square for a goal was disgraceful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back