Celebration: No Pannell, Razor or Nicholls

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be worse. I re-watched the 1997 Grand Final over the weekend. John Russo was providing special comments about the umpiring decisions. Every single one of his comments was either "free should have been paid to St Kilda", or "free shouldn't have been paid to Adelaide). Not once did he acknowledge a decision which went Adelaide's way, either correctly or incorrectly. He couldn't even justify paying a free when Jarman's jumper was pulled half-way back to the goal line. Unbelievable that someone so biased could possibly be hired as an AFL umpire.

Russo made Pannell look balanced. He was blatantly biased in SOO matches, to the extent one year after a match at Footy Park, SA fans followed him back to his hotel and harassed him all night. Thank god there has never ever been another "fourth umpire" in the commentary box. He single handedly killed that career path for every umpire that has followed since.

Pannell not doing any matches this weekend so we can safely assume even the AFL doesn't rate him - and he won't be seen again this year, unless they have him do the Auskickers matches at half time.

I also rate Razor as an umpire.

Our biggest potential umpiring issue tonight is that we kick off the finals and don't get a sighter as to what is the "rule of the week". And I guarantee there will be one coming off a bye weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well I saw Gil on "On The Couch" on Fox Monday night and he was saying how we want the game to flow. They showed some examples of holding the ball, including a couple that were called where the player went for the ball and was set upon in an instant. Gil was saying that all of them had prior opportunity and were holding the ball. Baffling.

I get the sense Gil has too much say as an individual on how the game should be officiated. Everyone bows down to the CEO.

Sorry folks but Jeff Dalgleish is a numpty. My list includes Nicholls McInerny Pannell Margetts and Dalgeish. Were always going to get one of them. Hopefully its out of their hands....it usually is.

I don't know if Pannell is so much of a problem with the Bulldogs out of the picture. As long as his decisions can't benefit them, he's probably not so bad.

Well I saw Gil on "On The Couch" on Fox Monday night and he was saying how we want the game to flow. They showed some examples of holding the ball, including a couple that were called where the player went for the ball and was set upon in an instant. Gil was saying that all of them had prior opportunity and were holding the ball. Baffling.

I get the sense Gil has too much say as an individual on how the game should be officiated. Everyone bows down to the CEO.
Bingo. Rule of the week is going to be holding the ball.

I don't know if Pannell is so much of a problem with the Bulldogs out of the picture. As long as his decisions can't benefit them, he's probably not so bad.

No, he's demonstrated at both VFL and AFL level that he's a dreadful umpire.

I think he's from the school of straight bouncers. After that, everything else goes to pot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back