Change The Club Song

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i'd change it but i'd rebrand us as the Port Adelaide Pirates - as we should have been since we joined the AFL - and then change it to a sea shanty style song as part of that.

Do a full on call and response style sea shanty with the Captain or another heart and soul senior player leading it, with that responsibility handed down as tradition. Hammer would be the obvious song leader at the moment and retiring would see him hand it to someone like Clurey or DBJ.

I'll die on this hill. The Power branding has ultimately been a missed opportunity.
We could all wear eye patches and take a sword with a parrot on your shoulder to the footy Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhh me heartys.

Yeah i'd change it but i'd rebrand us as the Port Adelaide Pirates - as we should have been since we joined the AFL - and then change it to a sea shanty style song as part of that.

Do a full on call and response style sea shanty with the Captain or another heart and soul senior player leading it, with that responsibility handed down as tradition. Hammer would be the obvious song leader at the moment and retiring would see him hand it to someone like Clurey or DBJ.

I'll die on this hill. The Power branding has ultimately been a missed opportunity.
I can imagine the response from the nuffies:

Prot Pirats est. 2022
You can't claim that 2004 flag. That's Prot Powaz - completely different club how dare you steal their history warren Wanganeed will be turning in his grave!!!

Horse has bolted on all that it'd be far easier just to limit the use of Power until it's just Port, Ports etc. it's already happening a little, Pirates would have been good at the time we came in but the heights of embarrassing to change to it now & just adds to fuel for mockery.

Horse has bolted on all that it'd be far easier just to limit the use of Power until it's just Port, Ports etc. it's already happening a little, Pirates would have been good at the time we came in but the heights of embarrassing to change to it now & just adds to fuel for mockery.

I'd be content to just stop using Power at all for anything. Remove it entirely. And then slowly work in a pirate theme over time. It's easy because Port shifts into a maritime theme very easily. You don't even have to officially call us Pirates, just get pirate themed stuff in the branding.

Keeping Power just because we currently have it is like a branding sunk cost fallacy.

DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN

DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN

i don't know whether it's good or not but i've grown to love it too much and i don't think i could sing anything else now.

being at the showdown on the weekend i had forgotten how abysmal the crows song is. holy s**t.

I'd be content to just stop using Power at all for anything. Remove it entirely. And then slowly work in a pirate theme over time. It's easy because Port shifts into a maritime theme very easily. You don't even have to officially call us Pirates, just get pirate themed stuff in the branding.

Keeping Power just because we currently have it is like a branding sunk cost fallacy.
I'm at peace with Power but it's easy to lessen it's importance with branding & merch the new logo is a step in the right direction.
I would've been fine with entering the AFL without an official nick tbh it would be laughable adopting the Pirates thing now.

Honestly, Power is such a nothing part of our brand and identity that it may as well not exist and we just be called Port Adelaide FC.

Nah I'm with him. It's probably too late now but Pirates would've 100% been better if we'd come in with it.

He's talking about doing it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never really been a fan of our song especially the Stop, Stop, Stop till we're Top Top Top verse.
In alignment with the push for the Prison Bars I thought why not change a verse in the club song, something like "The Prison Bars from Port, it's more than a sport, it's the true Port Adelaide tradition."

We could change these 2 lines to

We never stop, stop, stop
Always Premiers on top

He's talking about doing it now.

I acknowledge it would be insane to do it today, but I'd probably pull the trigger if given the nuclear codes just because I see Power as a band-aid that just needs to be ripped off. I acknowledge that that isn't a popular opinion overall.

I really only see it as insane to do it right now because it's so important to continue to push our branding around the prison bars and Port Adelaide, and muddying the waters from a branding perspective would hurt that vital cause.

The day before the bring back the bars campaign kicked off, I would have done it without hesitation. It'll only seem dumb for about 6 months after it's announced. Sold with the right campaign it'd be amazing.

I acknowledge it would be insane to do it today, but I'd probably pull the trigger if given the nuclear codes just because I see Power as a band-aid that just needs to be ripped off. I acknowledge that that isn't a popular opinion overall.

I really only see it as insane to do it right now because it's so important to continue to push our branding around the prison bars and Port Adelaide, and muddying the waters from a branding perspective would hurt that vital cause.

The day before the bring back the bars campaign kicked off, I would have done it without hesitation. It'll only seem dumb for about 6 months after it's announced. Sold with the right campaign it'd be amazing.

I know this is your personal opinion, but you know there's a huge amount of people, maybe even the majority, who really like the moniker and are happy to support the club with its current branding?

It might not be perfect or ideal or to your tastes but it is what it is. 20 years on I think we just need to embrace what we are and what makes us unique.

I'm all for the prison bars making an appearance wherever possible but the constant yearning for change as a part of this identity crisis is wasted energy.

I know this is your personal opinion, but you know there's a huge amount of people, maybe even the majority, who really like the moniker and are happy to support the club with its current branding?

It might not be perfect or ideal or to your tastes but it is what it is. 20 years on I think we just need to embrace what we are and what makes us unique.

I'm all for the prison bars making an appearance wherever possible but the constant yearning for change as a part of this identity crisis is wasted energy.

I'm hardly leading a charge on this. I acknowledged in the previous post that what I'm saying wouldn't be popular among the wider supporter base, because people naturally resist change.

If I can't post what I think about our branding in a thread about changing our branding, where can I post it?

I don't agree that the club currently has an identity crisis. We know who we are. What we should be is a club that always strives to be the best version of itself in all aspects of the club. Power is a weak brand and we hit the mark much more frequently when we minimise or simply ignore it.

I'm hardly leading a charge on this. I acknowledged in the previous post that what I'm saying wouldn't be popular among the wider supporter base, because people naturally resist change.

If I can't post what I think about our branding in a thread about changing our branding, where can I post it?

I don't agree that the club currently has an identity crisis. We know who we are. What we should be is a club that always strives to be the best version of itself in all aspects of the club. Power is a weak brand and we hit the mark much more frequently when we minimise or simply ignore it.

I called it an identity crisis because there's still a section of people that can't accept teal, can't accept silver cant accept the song, can't accept Power, can't accept chevrons...

None of it has prevented us from gaining support or from appealing to a wide audience. What then makes it weak?

I dont disagree that perhaps it could have been "better" in the beginning but ultimately it's this desire to move away from what we've basically been for 20 years that hurts us.

I think the club's relative lack of success hurts the way teal, the BIB, Power, etc, are perceived. There's a level of failure these things are associated with and so - in the context of the club's storied SANFL history - the club's current branding has sort of floated along without gaining much attachment.

Say we'd actually been a successful club in our first 25 years in the AFL and won 3 flags, been a regular finalist, etc, I think things would potentially be seen quite differently.

I think the club's relative lack of success hurts the way teal, the BIB, Power, etc, are perceived. There's a level of failure these things are associated with and so - in the context of the club's storied SANFL history - the club's current branding has sort of floated along without gaining much attachment.

Say we'd actually been a successful club in our first 25 years in the AFL and won 3 flags, been a regular finalist, etc, I think things would potentially be seen quite differently.

So go out and win then. Changing the branding because we haven't been successful is some strange thinking.

So go out and win then. Changing the branding because we haven't been successful is some strange thinking.

I'm not advocating a branding change, although I wouldn't necessarily oppose it. Just pointing out why these threads and discussions are ongoing and never seem to go away.

It's direct statements from the club itself that muddy the waters as to our own identity and how we are referred to amongst our own supporters and AFL community as a whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back