Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I agree with you.. I think he has found his niche back there. He could become that skilful dashing defender, we’ve been crying out for.
So much of the modern game is set up from behind the ball, I think I would prefer him to grow in that role.
I mentioned previous, he reminds me of R.Shaw when he was playing defence.
Leave Lmac to play the tagging role. It’ll be a win/win. As Hayden’s disposal is better.

And we do have plenty of other kids that we are pushing through the middle can't all play there ie TT Curtis zurhaar WW to name a few!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kyron is rare.

The other six defenders we played on the weekend (considering Luke McDonald played as a midfielder) :

Robert Tarrant (drafted 2007, best 22 defender since 2015)
Josh Walker (drafted 2010, DFA, best 22 defender since March)
Jamie Macmillan (drafted 2009, best 22 defender since 2012)
Shaun Atley (drafted 2010, best 22 defender since 2011)
Jasper Pittard (drafted 2009, trade, best 22 defender since 2019)
Marley Williams (drafted 2011, trade, best 22 defender since 2017)

Kyron is six years younger than the second youngest (Marley Williams, turning 27 this month) and the last player we drafted and developed to add to this group since Atley in 2010.

Last edited:
Kyron is rare.

The other six defenders we played on the weekend (considering Luke McDonald played as a midfielder) :

Josh Walker (drafted 2011, DFA, best 22 defender since March)
Marley Williams (drafted 2012, trade, best 22 defender since 2017)

Kyron is six years younger than the second youngest (Marley Williams, turning 27 this month) and the last player we drafted and developed to add to this group since Atley in 2010.
Our defensive unit is decent, having the best defender in Robbie Tarrant helps of course.
we haven't had a good play maker in the back half for a while now, Atley had 1 good year and Mullet had 1 good year, apart from that nothing in a long time.
Hopefully this kid can keep going.

Kyron is rare.

Josh Walker (drafted 2011, DFA, best 22 defender since March)
Marley Williams (drafted 2012, trade, best 22 defender since 2017)

Walker and Williams were critical pickups purely for age. Iirc Marley was rookie 2011?

Without them it was a big drop-off from Tarrant and a some flankers all the way to whoever we draft or develop in the next couple of years to perform down there.

Walker and Williams were critical pickups purely for age. Iirc Marley was rookie 2011?

Without them it was a big drop-off from Tarrant and a some flankers all the way to whoever we draft or develop in the next couple of years to perform down there.
You're right. That was back when the rookie draft was named after the following year. Thought 2012 didn't sound right.

Edit: Josh Walker was also drafted in 2010.

Daw in for a small will help our structure immensely

blokes will be allowed to be more aggressive knowing daw will be there to cover if needed as the third tall

then he can also pinch hit ruck allowing our forward structure to maintain instead of dragging one of our 2 key talls into the ruck leaving brown exposed and outbumbered

As much as I agree with you.. I think he has found his niche back there. He could become that skilful dashing defender, we’ve been crying out for.
So much of the modern game is set up from behind the ball, I think I would prefer him to grow in that role.
I mentioned previous, he reminds me of R.Shaw when he was playing defence.
Leave Lmac to play the tagging role. It’ll be a win/win. As Hayden’s disposal is better.
If he goes into the middle it shouldn't be as a tagger. He can play inside and outside and win clearances or spread and deliver.

But I kind of agree with you. For over a decade I've wanted us to play someone like Andrew Macleod off the half backline. As has everyone else who follows the sport no doubt. Not just a skilled user but tough and athletic and capable if winning contests then getting on his bike from the contest.

Hayden has that ability. He might not end up as good as Macleod but he can still play that sort of game very well as we've seen in the last fortnight.

While Daw is over his injury l cant see him being brought in this week because l dont think his fitness levels are good enough. Maybe the week after might be his chance at a comeback against the Tigers but l would prefer it against Carlton when ever that is....

While Daw is over his injury l cant see him being brought in this week because l dont think his fitness levels are good enough. Maybe the week after might be his chance at a comeback against the Tigers but l would prefer it against Carlton when ever that is....

But without any scratch matches how is he going to get his fitness levels up.... got more chance in a game than at training

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Daw, out of curiosity - what length are the scratch matches and what sort of rotations do they run?

I know he apparently blew up but this is not a normal year, these are not normal length quarters and this is not a normal level of load. We've brought players in and played them for 40mins of a game in recent weeks. I'd back a fit Daw to raise serious questions for most teams even if he does blow up at 60% game time.

On Daw, out of curiosity - what length are the scratch matches and what sort of rotations do they run?

I know he apparently blew up but this is not a normal year, these are not normal length quarters and this is not a normal level of load. We've brought players in and played them for 40mins of a game in recent weeks. I'd back a fit Daw to raise serious questions for most teams even if he does blow up at 60% game time.
Pretty sure we played Bailey Scott for 50% TOG and who knows how long we expected Cunnington to play for. My worry is that we don't want to risk playing him below a proper fitness level for his confidence.

News Flash - there are no players on our list who are capable of playing decent AFL football if they are not fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back