Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Out: VDM (Injured), Freijah (managed - seriously managed)

In: Cleary, somone else

Really liked Freijah but too much to ask him to play these next 3 games. 2 of 3 OK so Tigers and Sydney is my preference.

OUT: Bramble, VDM (injured?)
IN: Cleary, Clarke
SUB: Gallagher

Really want Sanders back in the seniors however now with Richards emerging as a mid he’ll probably have to bide his time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It will be Taylor Duryea 200th Game
Hawthorn 118 games
Bulldogs 82 games

We need to tweak the structure of the side, at the moment we have too many mid sized half backs in the side which led to JJ playing small forward again and we know how great of a move that was.

Then again I would like to see Cleary given an opportunity as he looked ok when he came in vs tigers

Usually shouldn’t change much after a good win.

Obviously we should be aiming to get Sanders in as long as the coaching staff are happy with his effort.

If VDM is out then they might give Arty a go given he’s been an emergency.

Baker for VDM
Sanders for Bramble (assuming another 30 in VFL - he is just too good and if he can get his attitude right he will play most games)
Cleary for Friejah

Real shame for VDM - was starting to show more than I thought he had! No one can doubt his effort and work rate though. So not so much a small forward as a goal kicking runner. Best we alternative we have is Baker (Garcia already in the team). He runs all day and regularly kicks goals.

I am a big Friejah fan and believe he earned his exposure on the AFL.

He looked like a first gamer at the start - nervous to play his own game where he imposes himself on the VFL but really settled as the game went on and he started to pull out the fantastic kick he has a bit at the end. There is a good case to try and keep the momentum going for a week. 16 touches at 90% for a first game is pretty fantastic.

Williams has been poor but was OK. Cleary did look a bit more composed and with JOD playing better also. I think we could see Cleary into the starting 22 and Friejah as sub (who can cover more positions anyway).

I am not sure of our strategy for the sub? I would have thought it is either - injection of speed and impact (ie need a fast starter - midfielder and fast flanker) or coverage so you take off an injured or poor performer to get a better option. I like Cleary but he isn’t one of with really.

Perfect for the former is someone like Bailey Williams and for the latter some like Artie. We seemed to used it for the next best player.

The only person to have a real stinker was probably Bramble. GWS has some very good smalls - best being one of the best and biggest d’head Green - Duryea is a good match for him. And Dale and JJ so be all that we need in smalls with Williams and Red able to go back if needed.

I thought Cleary was quite superb when he came on - must be difficult to fit in so seamlessly when having not played seniors in a while and coming in as a sub. Think he deserves a starting spot next week. Perhaps Bramble to sub, and Freijah up to the wing?

Other than that, if Vandermeer is injured hopefully Clarke puts his hand up again or Arty has a nice VFL game today and we can pick either of those two.

Will refrain from picking my changes until after the VFL but with VDM going down a spot in the forward line has opened up, hopefully someone demands the spot today.
If there after someone with wheels to replace VDM then it has to be Arty. Unfortunately he's terribly out of form atm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: don’t just kick don’t Sam Taylor’s throat.

I'm most surprised that some are calling for Freijah to be dropped/managed.

I'll be even more surprised if MC see it the same way. After the first 40 minutes or so he settled into the game. Bevo noted that in the press conference and Freijah said as much himself. Chalk and cheese compared to Clarke's debut. Joel's going to become a regular, maybe this year but certainly by next year.

I liked Cleary's half-game too. He needs a decent run of games, even if they are going to be tough ones against GWS, Sydney, Collingwood etc. We need to find out if he's a keeper. Going on last night he might well be. A few games against sterner competition will tell us more.

What's the news on VDM? Is it a multi-week injury?
I saw the footage of Nank dropping on him but not sure what the actual injury is.
Hopefully just a corkie week off and he should be fine. Did some run throughs on the boundary so don't think anything too major

Cleary in for Bramble. I just don't see what Bevo see's in Bramble, but he costs us 3-4 shots on goal every game from simple skill errors which lead to turnovers, getting beaten 1 on 1 or giving away freekicks. I hope I'm wrong but I get Hannan/Gowers/McComb vibes from him. So I think Bevo will keep gifting him games no matter how bad he plays.

I think Gallagher needs a spell in the VFL too. At least until he learns how to kick the ball inside 50. Even if he doesn't hit a target at least kick it to our forwards advantage. Freijar in just 1 game has already shown more potential than him. I thought he had a pretty damn good game for a debutant.

Maybe not this week, but at some point I'd like to see Buku get another shot in the seniors. Yea he had a shocker last week but so did a lot of players. And his first few games were good. He averages 3 intercept marks per game which is something we desperately need so I'd back in his upside.

I'm most surprised that some are calling for Freijah to be dropped/managed.

I'll be even more surprised if MC see it the same way. After the first 40 minutes or so he settled into the game. Bevo noted that in the press conference and Freijah said as much himself. Chalk and cheese compared to Clarke's debut. Joel's going to become a regular, maybe this year but certainly by next year.

I liked Cleary's half-game too. He needs a decent run of games, even if they are going to be tough ones against GWS, Sydney, Collingwood etc. We need to find out if he's a keeper. Going on last night he might well be. A few games against sterner competition will tell us more.
My theory is that he played more game time than he was supposed to with VDMs injury and looked very knackered about half way through the 3rd.

7 days into the next game and then 5 into the one after that. 3 games in 12 days which I believe is too much to expect of the young man and that a more generous spacing of his appearances should be afforded him in this instance and at this point..

My brilliant theory is that we should give him 1 of the next 2 games making it 2 games of 3 given the scheduling.

Selfishly, I'm not travelling to Sydney next week but a chance to go to the Thursday night game here in tropical Melbourne.

TL/DR. It's in his recovery interests and my viewing interests that he sits next week out.

Actually it's too much to ask of Darcy also. To he'll with it, I'm managing both of them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back