Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a feeling we'll show up this week.

Would love to see Sanders in the middle though. My feeling is he's an out and out inside mid and its pointless playing him on a wing or half forward just for the sake of including him in the side. The kid knows how to find the ball and has good hands in close.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
On the speed spectrum where peak JJ is 10 and Macrae is 1, where do we think he sits?

On the speed spectrum where peak JJ is 10 and Macrae is 1, where do we think he sits?
6, slightly quicker than your average inside mid.
His sidestep is more important than his acceleration though.

I've noticed that he often holds the ball for an extra second before handballing so an opponent overcommits to him which makes his handball target freer for the next possession. It's a handy trick that he deserves credit for.

6, slightly quicker than your average inside mid.
His sidestep is more important than his acceleration though.

I've noticed that he often holds the ball for an extra second before handballing so an opponent overcommits to him which makes his handball target freer for the next possession. It's a handy trick that he deserves credit for.
I suppose where I'm going with this is that my gut feel is we can probably only afford to have one pedestrian midfielder in the team at the point where we're back in contention because they have to be quick enough to get to the opposition when we don't win/have the ball. It's the lingering doubt I have over Macrae.

I expect Libba to retire. Could Macrae and Sanders co-exist in the same team or will it eventually be one or the other?

VDM the only out. Can’t see many changes after last weeks game.

Bring Sanders in, send Richards back to defence. JJ forward to replace VDM’s pace.

Doesn’t change the set up at all, and rewards Sanders huge game on the weekend.

Bring Sanders in, send Richards back to defence. JJ forward to replace VDM’s pace.

Are you sure vanders is out? It could be just a flesh wound.

I'd also expect us to go into this game with a lot of options for midfield rotation so Sanders probably does come back in.

Harmes is an interesting one. Bevo, to this point, either hasn't been inclined or hasn't shown his hand with tagging opposition mids.

With Daicos looming for the Pies and Gulden/Warner/Heeney for Sydney, might not be a bad time to experiment on someone like Tom Green.
I'm without about trying out a tag, but blokes like Tom Green are very hard to tag. I think the outside or inside / outside players can get more effectively tagged than inside bulls like Green

Richards HAS to stay in the midfield. If sanders comes in it’d be for Garcia, with Garcia replacing Vanders up fwd.

Unfortunately for Sanders there isn’t really a spot for him at the moment, as his game still needs work in defensive transition.

Richards HAS to stay in the midfield. If sanders comes in it’d be for Garcia, with Garcia replacing Vanders up fwd.

Unfortunately for Sanders there isn’t really a spot for him at the moment, as his game still needs work in defensive transition.
Garcia already played forward last week, he got nowhere near the midfield since Flea got injured.
If Sanders takes anyone's Midfield minutes it'd be Gallagher's and even then they were few and far between.

I’d be curious to see how we look if Bont played the Jeremy Cameron type role where he can roam, create and hit the scoreboard.

Could open minutes for Sanders in the Midfield too

I’d be curious to see how we look if Bont played the Jeremy Cameron type role where he can roam, create and hit the scoreboard.

Could open minutes for Sanders in the Midfield too

Definitely think we’ll see more of that in Bont’s later years. But definitely a good option. He is very dangerous forward or anywhere..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do I think everytime we win a game convincingly we are invisible and will easily win the next week ? Or Two

He’d be good anywhere but you play the best midfielder in the comp in midfield.

He may play his best is individual footy there but what if it was better for the team overall having him in a different role if it also opens space for a young gun?

The seasons pretty much cooked - can’t hurt to try these things.

He may play his best is individual footy there but what if it was better for the team overall having him in a different role if it also opens space for a young gun?

The seasons pretty much cooked - can’t hurt to try these things.
The season is far from cooked.

With Bailey Smith and Libba out Bont is a must in there if you are wanting to develop Richards, Gallagher and Sanders as mids and Darcy as a ruck.

We are 2 mids down already not many young guns left nor experienced mids to guide those we have

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely Sanders finds a way in. He was great in the VFL. Seems like a tough kid, something we have lacked since premiership season and especially needed against these campaigners. Play player in form, reward VFL form. Sanders for Vanders, maybe Daniel for Bramble?

Surely Sanders finds a way in. He was great in the VFL. Seems like a tough kid, something we have lacked since premiership season and especially needed against these campaigners. Play player in form, reward VFL form. Sanders for Vanders, maybe Daniel for Bramble?
Again we have to weight up whether we’re picking the best 22 players or the best team 22?

Sanders played great and would be deserving of a call up but he has to come in as a centre bounce midfielder. It would be ridiculous for him to come in and sit on a half forward flank.

I’d be running with a 4 man midfielder Bont, Treloar, Richards & Sanders with a tiny bit of Garcia to create a spark. Macrae to play his typical half forward role and Gallagher to move to the VDM role of pressure half forward.

Last edited:
I'm without about trying out a tag, but blokes like Tom Green are very hard to tag. I think the outside or inside / outside players can get more effectively tagged than inside bulls like Green

Somewhat true, definitely much easier to tag the purely outside players.

Teams have had some success tagging Petracca the past month or so (although he put on a show once he moved forward last week). Teams, including us, had success tagging Cripps last year and trying to exploit him on the spread. Think it can still be done effectively against the bigger types.

Still surprised we didn't use Bailey Smith in that role for longer last year. Thought he was excellent against Carlton and Adelaide (head to head with Laird), really thought we'd found something and he had got his mojo back. Then Treloar came back and Smith was back to half forward and probably played the worst footy of his career for the second half of the season.

I was in the 'no way moving ed from the backline' camp, but im giving Richards a chance to repeat his midifield performance from last week. 34 disposals (14 contested) , 575MG, 13 SI, 7 clearances and 3 goal assists AND the leading player for pressure on the ground. Thats a massive contribution.

I was in the 'no way moving ed from the backline' camp, but im giving Richards a chance to repeat his midifield performance from last week. 34 disposals (14 contested) , 575MG, 13 SI, 7 clearances and 3 goal assists AND the leading player for pressure on the ground. Thats a massive contribution.

It also opens up a spot for Cliz

Me too, I didn’t think he had that level of accumulation or clearance work in him but he proved me wrong last week. Poor opposition yes but definitely something to work with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back