Opinion Changes for Round 2 vs The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never understood Beveridge/s selections anytime excepting during lead up to and during the 2016 finals series.
Even during the 2016 season Home and Away he was all over the shop but finally settled the team and played everyone in the roles you would expect. Only in the GF did he move Cordy into the Forward line.

Since then its consistently nonsense, week in, week out. Beveridge has categorically never adapted to the no third man up in the ruck rule change. Last year when we played both a fit Martin and English we looked unbeatable. When Martin got injured - there was not one occasion were we played both Sweet and English last year.

On last weeks performance, I would sooner drop Weightman, Van De Mere or Cordy before I would omit Williams. Fact is none of those 3 have shown anything during the practice matches and all three of them have very limited tricks in their bag when out of form. Fact is both Weightman and VDM are young quality kids who need to be dropped to work on their weaknesses and consistency.

Where as Williams is a quality AFL unit who has a-grade tricks but has been asked to do too much for too long against opponents much bigger than himself. Indeed, Williams should have huge credits in the bank because he the biggest reason Bevo's half cocked backline has been semi-functional for the last few years. I would have more faith in throwing Williams up forward to make an impact than any of Wieghtman, VDM, Cordy, Sache or UH

And what the hell is JJ doing out of this side - he looked like a genuine dangerous forward in the last practice match

My Team:

Richards, Keath Gardner
Dale, Williams, Duryea
R.Smith, Liber, Hunter
Treloar, Naughton, JJ
Hannan, English U-Hagan

Sweet
Bontempelli
Macrae

Dunkley
Daniel
Crozier
Arthur Jones

OUT: Weighman, VDM, Sache, Cordy, Smith-Injured
IN: Sweet, Duryea, JJ, U-Hagan, Arthur Jones
JJ is injured. Late out last week.

I'm more concerned that we don't have an obvious replacement for that role which should be pretty easy to find
JJ is a nice replacement when fit but would be nice to have options - JJ, Scott, Weightman isn’t the worst trio of small forwards, sure beats having the likes of Libba there. I’d have Baz and Treloar spending plenty of time on the flanks/wings too.

How much better do we look on paper with Naughty, Timmy, Jamarra up front and Keath, Gardener down back than Cordy and Schache thrown in. It’s just such an obvious play with Bruce out, but we refuse to even try it. Just keep trying the same BS that has never worked 🙄

I've never understood Beveridge/s selections anytime excepting during lead up to and during the 2016 finals series.
Even during the 2016 season Home and Away he was all over the shop but finally settled the team and played everyone in the roles you would expect. Only in the GF did he move Cordy into the Forward line.

Since then its consistently nonsense, week in, week out. Beveridge has categorically never adapted to the no third man up in the ruck rule change. Last year when we played both a fit Martin and English we looked unbeatable. When Martin got injured - there was not one occasion were we played both Sweet and English last year.

On last weeks performance, I would sooner drop Weightman, Van De Mere or Cordy before I would omit Williams. Fact is none of those 3 have shown anything during the practice matches and all three of them have very limited tricks in their bag when out of form. Fact is both Weightman and VDM are young quality kids who need to be dropped to work on their weaknesses and consistency.

Where as Williams is a quality AFL unit who has a-grade tricks but has been asked to do too much for too long against opponents much bigger than himself. Indeed, Williams should have huge credits in the bank because he the biggest reason Bevo's half cocked backline has been semi-functional for the last few years. I would have more faith in throwing Williams up forward to make an impact than any of Wieghtman, VDM, Cordy, Sache or UH

And what the hell is JJ doing out of this side - he looked like a genuine dangerous forward in the last practice match

My Team:

Richards, Keath Gardner
Dale, Williams, Duryea
R.Smith, Liber, Hunter
Treloar, Naughton, JJ
Hannan, English U-Hagan

Sweet
Bontempelli
Macrae

Dunkley
Daniel
Crozier
Arthur Jones

I'm still shocked that after a historic GF smashing and then to get beat by the Dee's again with pretty much the same game pan.... how in the hell does Cordy stay in.
JJ injured.

My Team:

Richards, Keath Gardner
Dale, Williams, Duryea
R.Smith, Liber, Hunter
Treloar, Naughton, JJ
Hannan, English U-Hagan

Sweet
Bontempelli
Macrae

Dunkley
Daniel
Crozier
Arthur Jones

Do you mean the JJ who aggravated an injury during last week's warmup, and will now miss at least 2 weeks?

Williams forward ahead of Schache and JUH? You talk about him struggling with bigger opponents but are suggesting he play a KPF role?

Bevo has a master plan. He's currently coaching based on a web model from a spider on drugs, but when it all comes together, watch out!
Master Plan, Gardner CHB, Cordy CHF, that will frighten the other finals contenders, those 2 would not get a game in any other AFL team, and we are supposed to be Premiership contenders,

I would actually be really interested to revisit Williams at HFF tbh, he has all the attributes to do it brilliantly, and it opens up that spot down back for an inform Croz & Ed
But it may mean that Roarke, Scott, VDM or Hannan go out. Bevo loves these non contributors and Williams actually has talent. Bevo will always drop talented players before butchers or poor decision makers.

i would love to see a Bailey get given a ago before 4 of our bottom 30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who else would people have for Scott's half forward role?

Jones is unproven. We havent seen his VFL matches.
AJ has talent amd long term could be a player. Scott averages a handful of possessions mainly handballs and rarely kicks a goal outside 15 metres. He does average 1.7 tackles a game as a small forward. That’s elite I assume

Saying right now, we will not, and cannot, win a flag with all of Roarke Smith, Laith, Cordy, Scott, Gardner and Hannan in the side. There is more than enough talent on the list to replace these guys in the 22. Sometimes almost seems as though Bevo doesn’t want to see the best 22 altogether. A best team on paper looks absolutely unbeatable, but we never put anything close to it on the park. Extremely frustrating.

Feel like it is also worth pointing out it is nothing against those named players. They don’t pick the side and they try their best every week, but gosh we can’t carry all of them to be a top side and that’s just the reality
I totally agree we are carrying too many players who will not help us win another flag but I'm not convinced we have ready replacements on our list.
Perhaps when every player who could/should be in the team becomes available we will look a much better balanced side. Until then, we will be forced to field a merry-go-round of fringe players to make do.
Hopefully, some of these players can improve to reach a higher level but I'm not holding my breath.

I was at the game and must admit I didn't see all of the turnovers, but on pure talent Williams is way ahead of plenty.

Schache I really feel for, he was given a job late last year, looked like he was told he was staying put and gained some confidence. He plays both pre season games ahead of "Gardy" and as soon as they have to bring Gardner in, Schache is out of the backline, on a wing of all places and then up forward. Thrown around and played like a bloke with no confidence again. And sure enough look what happens, Gardner the love child stuffs up plenty and of course stays in, it was so predictable from Beveridge. As for Cordy he is not a forward, not a backman, not a ruckman so what is he.....touched the ball 3 times, but again he is untouchable.

What does Hannan bring to the side, Rourke Smith was deplorable in the first quarter, yes he got a little better but he was coming off a very low base.

There are so many passengers in this side and all we do is keep on drafting them from the VFL side.

One ruck and not even some form a tall back up is interesting also.

Having said all that I hope I have egg on my face tomorrow night

I don’t mind the team. Duryea and JUH should play every week they’re available and I’m fine with Scott coming in with the injuries we’ve had.

Need Williams to regain his form, think the defense looks short without him but his last few games have been real stinkers so his omission is understandable. Think in our ideal backline this season we have Keath, O’Brien, Williams and Crozier with the smalls.

Would also prefer we played a ruckman instead of Cordy. If Martin isn’t fit then Sweet should be playing.

Schache the scapegoat again. Should have played the game in defence, like he did late last year. Made a few blues but at least he was trying to get his hands on it. Cordy couldn’t get near it, Gardy lost again yet of cause Schache out. Cordy should have been the one chopped.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ummm, this is just wrong. Cordy played forward a lot through 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back