Changes for Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't be against Rayner getting a run in the two's. It'll be good for his development to work on his craft in the reserves, build some confidence and then come back to the senior's. He's a super talent and would probably only take him a couple weeks to force his way back in. I'd like him to get some more midfield time as well which he could do in the two's.

So perhaps a straight swap-

In: Robinson
Out Rayner

?

I really want to keep Rayner in as I believe he can contribute at this level but it's hard to argue keeping him in when someone needs to make way for Robinson. Intrigued to see what we decide to go with.

Robbo back in for sure, need his pressure and half for leading option. Bewick or Lester can make way for him. I’m guessing Lester is protected so it Bewick who pretty much plays one good game a year then disappoints until dropped anyway.

McStay is stuffed around a bit going forward and playing back but to me he is just too loose as a backman. He is great when he can fly from the side of the pack but with our turnover rate he is not going all that well front on when the ball is being bombed in for their key forwards sneaks out the back. Port Adelaide will carve him up. Radical I know but give young Payne a go, tell him to wear Charlie Dixon like a glove and Hodgy will be beside him to help.

If Rich’s ankle is good he must come back in with his penetrating kick to go over lines to a target. I’d move Cox forward and again Lester or Bewick make room.

Then we seem to suffer with marking inside the 50 when we bomb it in which we will against Port’s high pressure. Hipwood is still too light and gets pushed out of the pack and ends up off his feet to option. He is fantastic with some open ground and should stay for that. I think we have to blood the Big O sometime and with Martin there at the same time there will be some on field coaching. The big O can stand his ground, throw a hip out to give Charlie or Christensen a split second to rove the ball. If he comes in that means Walker out (well Walker or Hipwood for team balance) and Hipwood needs to stay for his development.

I always favor fewer changes, I think we need a core 14 or 15 players playing together every week to get good teamwork and knowledge building.

Wouldn't be against Rayner getting a run in the two's. It'll be good for his development to work on his craft in the reserves, build some confidence and then come back to the senior's. He's a super talent and would probably only take him a couple weeks to force his way back in. I'd like him to get some more midfield time as well which he could do in the two's.

So perhaps a straight swap-

Out Rayner

?

Yup. Rayner in the midfield, Thunder will definitely make it a good challenge. Robbo straight back in. Job done I reckon.

I would drop Rayner for Robinson, I think Rayner could do with some midfield time and, now that the NEAFL is back and he's had a taste of senior football, will also benefit from being encouraged to push for a recall. I'd also drop Witherden for Allison, but I do worry that leaves us vulnerable at kickouts, especially if Hodge doesn't travel to Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would drop Rayner for Robinson, I think Rayner could do with some midfield time and, now that the NEAFL is back and he's had a taste of senior football, will also benefit from being encouraged to push for a recall. I'd also drop Witherden for Allison, but I do worry that leaves us vulnerable at kickouts, especially if Hodge doesn't travel to Adelaide.
Out- Hodge, Martin, Rayner and Witherden (all managed) , Walker
In - Robinson, Smith, Payne, Culter , Hinge

Mods, can you just delete the accounts of anyone bagging or wanting to drop McStay?
Come on, if we haven't deleted yours how will we have a leg to stand on deleting anyone else's? :D

Mods, can you just delete the accounts of anyone bagging or wanting to drop McStay?
Couldn’t agree more. I think McStay just needs to be coached or taught his craft and he will be a sensational player for us. I would love for the Club to organise some direct mentoring for McStay and Andrews from a retired ‘champion’ defender.

Witherden unlikely to be dropped.
Bewick and Cox played well. Cox’s speed in the backline was welcomed.
I’d drop someone for Smith.
Hodge out (rested) for Robinson.
I think the team needs some psych work. No trust in each other. Don’t believe they can win.

Did Bewick do enough to maintain his place? I kinda feel like not. He needs to be very good when he gets his chances, he was only ok in my opinion.

I think the team needs some psych work. No trust in each other. Don’t believe they can win.
I agree. The difference is going to be made through direct coaching, mentoring, learning and mindset.

Did Bewick do enough to maintain his place? I kinda feel like not. He needs to be very good when he gets his chances, he was only ok in my opinion.
Bewick was clean and provided a contest in the air,worked hard on the wing and absolutely deserves to hold his spot based on last nights game.He also gave my young fella a basket of easter eggs.☺

Bewick was pretty solid out there. Clean under his knees when our big problem was inability to pick up the ball cleanly - fumbling means pressure can be applied and turnovers result, plus didn't provide many (any?) glaring skill errors. Equal third highest disposal total for the team as well. He was playing more as a pure wing and did a decent job at it.

Out: Hodge/Rayner

Honestly, I wasn’t a fan of Bewick coming in but he showed that he’s ready to play. He will stay in the side for the next week, I’m sure of it.

However, he still may have just been a veteran replacement for Robinson. It seems like Bell was in the side until Mathieson became healthy again; almost like the coaches didn’t want to play a younger bloke only to drop them a week later. Nevertheless, Rohan played much better than Bell so it may be a moot point.

If Hodge wants to play then I think the best option will to give Rayner the week off. I don’t think the reserves are playing but it’ll give him the week to calm down and compose himself. Although, I think it comes down to whether or not Hodgy wants to have a crack.

I kind of agree with some other people wanting to drop McStay and Mayes.

Mayes has always been a good player for us, but I feel like we need to see more growth out of him. He is not the oldest bloke and has room for improvement. I don’t advertise the idea of omitting him now, but when Rich comes back from injury it could become a very real possibility. It’s not negative though, it’s a sign that we have some competition between our small defenders.

You won’t find many other people who want McStay to succeed like I do. I really like him and feel like he can be a great key position player. Ultimately, I feel like it may be beneficial to omit him later in the year if he doesn’t continue to take the right steps to improvement. Furthermore, there’s some praise for Jack Payne as an actual key defender and not an intercept marker, which may work in our favour. This change should not happen so early, but it should remain a possibility and it is great that there’s some competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back