Preview Changes/Preview - round 3 v Sydney - Clarry 150! JVR debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd swing him forward for TMac before dropping him if we aren't going to play JVR. But yes , he's been s**t. Hopefully with May back he looks better but he should absolutely be on thin ice with the way he's playing. Another 2 weeks of what he's been dishing up and the board will turn feral on him. Rightly so.
This is what I'm thinking/hoping. Petty better get his s**t together when May gets back because there's no reason why Tommo could also look better with May back in the side.

But Tulip told us that Petty is playing way better than Tomo
Right, dazzledavey said it so it must be true o_O

Honestly, Petty was s**t but so was Tomlinson. Petty did his hammy midgame and came back for a bit without ever looking right. Tomlinson's blind, panicked kicking out of D50 killed us multiple times. Or so I thought on first viewing, and I'm not inclined to spend my spare time re-watching a game we looked out of from about 15 minutes through.

Given he's a KPD, has played 50 games, and has played very well for most of them I'd be inclined to back him in. But if people have chosen their new whipping boy, or they want him dropped as some sort of statement to cruising senior players, then I disagree but it is what it is :thumbsu:

I think Petty has chips in the bank and they need to count for something, at least 1 more game.
Tmac is the greater concern, he has been terrible. Needs to go.
Think some senior players need to be put on notice as well. ANB, Viney, Brayshaw all been average and when Gawn went down they provided little leadership. This is a worry.

Honestly, Petty was s**t but so was Tomlinson. Petty did his hammy midgame and came back for a bit without ever looking right. Tomlinson's blind, panicked kicking out of D50 killed us multiple times. Or so I thought on first viewing, and I'm not inclined to spend my spare time re-watching a game we looked out of from about 15 minutes through.

Im not sure you watched the game the first time.

Petty was vying for worst on ground well before the loser limp came on. Fumbles, flogged twice by Gunston in body to body one on ones. Some genuinely embarrassing stuff. Ill give him a slight out like the rest of the backline coz the midfield was so s**t and it was getting down there at warp speed but he wasn't good at all, again. Played garbage last week also (not quite as bad) but nobody really paid attention coz we won by 50 points.

Tomo has been fine apart from the moment here and there. Certainly better than he was last year.

I’d put Brayshaw on notice , take more care with your disposal or practice at Casey . Again it won’t happen.
I said during pre-season when i saw the boys train that he looked unfit and didn't look overly enthused at training. The way he's looked in the first two rounds suggests that his pre-season wasn't the greatest. With a lengthy contract in his back pocket, I'm hoping he does a hell of a lot more than what he's produced in Rounds 1 and 2. Should have saved the $$ and thrown it at Kozzy who is much more valuable IMO.

I said during pre-season when i saw the boys train that he looked unfit and didn't look overly enthused at training. The way he's looked in the first two rounds suggests that his pre-season wasn't the greatest. With a lengthy contract in his back pocket, I'm hoping he does a hell of a lot more than what he's produced in Rounds 1 and 2. Should have saved the $$ and thrown it at Kozzy who is much more valuable IMO.
He's not in good shape at all. The pictures that were posted on him were pretty damming.

6 year deal, a stack of cash to set him up post footy career.. yeah I can see why he let himself go on the off season.

Last edited:
Right, dazzledavey said it so it must be true o_O

Given he's a KPD, has played 50 games, and has played very well for most of them I'd be inclined to back him in. But if people have chosen their new whipping boy, or they want him dropped as some sort of statement to cruising senior players, then I disagree but it is what it is :thumbsu:
Interesting tactic, say it's one poster when it's 4+ and then continue the random hate boner for a defender who's been better as a one out crusade

Tulip genuine question. Seperate our team into 3 groups( fwd,back,mid) which group of ours would you consider top 4 in the comp?

Our back 6 was great in 2021 but with Petty doing his best Omac impression right now it ain't the best but I'd concede it's around the mark of the best when it's up and about.

Cats are better, Freo around the mark.

Midfield ain't in the best 4.
Sydney, Collingwood, Port easily have a more diverse midfield with way more skill. An if you acknowledge that Gawn isn't really a mid, more an either end ruck then I'd say Brisbane and Carlton and the dogs can atleast match us on paper aswell if not better us especially this year.

Forward 6.

I mean s**t. Probably not even in the top 8 in the comp.

So exactly where is our main weapon to beat the competion and be the best?

Last edited:
Petty has been a liability in both our games. I rate him and his best is obviously better than tommos, but it might not be the worst thing to send him to Casey. Hopefully he could boss a few games at VFL level and come back in with some form and confidence.

Not suggesting to drop Petty to send a message or to pick on him specifically, he's just performing worse than the depth we have in his position and someone has to go for May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petty has been a liability in both our games. I rate him and his best is obviously better than tommos, but it might not be the worst thing to send him to Casey. Hopefully he could boss a few games at VFL level and come back in with some form and confidence.

Not suggesting to drop Petty to send a message or to pick on him specifically, he's just performing worse than the depth we have in his position and someone has to go for May.
It's a pity Daniel Turner didn't play in thr VFL last weekend because ideally I'd much rather give him a decent crack if Petty was to be dropped.

What's the go with Turner's fitness? Be happy to give him a go once he's right to go.

With what we have available, even if May returns I'd have Goody read the riot act to Petty about toughening up this week, and if that doesn't work he goes out the next week. Give him one more week to get his head out of his arse.

It's a pity Daniel Turner didn't play in thr VFL last weekend because ideally I'd much rather give him a decent crack if Petty was to be dropped.
Agree, Turner has some promise from what I've seen at Casey. Tomlinson is pretty limited and on his last legs most likely, but he's clearly been better than Petty in both games.

Not a huge deal if they back Petty in for another week but I'm hoping we've learned from the back half of last year to not just pick the same side regardless of form.

I'd give Petty one more week, especially with May back. If he stinks it up again then Tommo to come back in. However, if that leg injury is hampering him then just give him a week or two off and leave Tommo in who has been serviceable.

Tommo is a good match up for McLean/Ladhams when he's resting down there. He plays best on the lumbering big guys, where he can use his strength and good body positioning to consistently halve contests or pave the way for Lever/May to intercept.

With Kozzy out of the midfield rotations for another week we should look at giving Hunter spells in the centre bounce against Sydney as someone with good decision making, a tidy left foot and good timing to find space.

Tmac was ******* awful when he was having a run in the ruck. Wouldn't mind JVR 2nd rucking and having our mids play more defensive at stoppages not expecting every tap down there throats. We need a circuit breaker in there because whatever we tried to do against Brissy did not work at all. If Viney is going to be in there he's got to compliment Trac/Clarry and not just get in the way. Hopefully he's better for the run. Not against having Viney spend time forward with Kozzy out to try and just lay bulk tackles and stop some of Sydney's bounce off half back.

I'm not sure how we are $1.75 favourites. Think I'll be tipping the Swans.

I'd give Petty one more week, especially with May back. If he stinks it up again then Tommo to come back in. However, if that leg injury is hampering him then just give him a week or two off and leave Tommo in who has been serviceable.

Tommo is a good match up for McLean/Ladhams when he's resting down there. He plays best on the lumbering big guys, where he can use his strength and good body positioning to consistently halve contests or pave the way for Lever/May to intercept.

With Kozzy out of the midfield rotations for another week we should look at giving Hunter spells in the centre bounce against Sydney as someone with good decision making, a tidy left foot and good timing to find space.

Tmac was ******* awful when he was having a run in the ruck. Wouldn't mind JVR 2nd rucking and having our mids play more defensive at stoppages not expecting every tap down there throats. We need a circuit breaker in there because whatever we tried to do against Brissy did not work at all. If Viney is going to be in there he's got to compliment Trac/Clarry and not just get in the way. Hopefully he's better for the run. Not against having Viney spend time forward with Kozzy out to try and just lay bulk tackles and stop some of Sydney's bounce off half back.

I'm not sure how we are $1.75 favourites. Think I'll be tipping the Swans.
Pretty simple, we are overrated atm.

I was just thinking about the last time we beat Sydney in 2021. They basically outplayed us, maybe not completely outplay, they won 3 quarters by a point but it was a tough for most the game, I reckon we won it in a 5 minute patch in the second when we kicked 2 goals and managed to maintain that lead for the rest of the game. Besides that patch and parts in the qualifying final and a half in the game last year feels like we've always struggled against the Swans for quite some time. Our best game was probably that round 4 game in 2019 when we were at our worst in the Goodwin era.

I was just thinking about the last time we beat Sydney in 2021. They basically outplayed us, maybe not completely outplay, they won 3 quarters by a point but it was a tough for most the game, I reckon we won it in a 5 minute patch in the second when we kicked 2 goals and managed to maintain that lead for the rest of the game. Besides that patch and parts in the qualifying final and a half in the game last year feels like we've always struggled against the Swans for quite some time. Our best game was probably that round 4 game in 2019 when we were at our worst in the Goodwin era.
Tmac went nuts that night. Took one of the best pack marks I've ever seen to seal the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back