Preview Changes/Preview - Round 9 v Hawthorn (Steven May 200th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Hawks have a small forward line with Lewis the only actual tall and maybe a resting ruck.

They could run with just May and Lever as genuine tall defenders if they want.

I reckon they keep Petty in as a forward because he can switch back if required during the game.

Give Hibberd another week of rest.

JvR probably suspended and was due for a rest anyway.

Spargo looked in great touch in the VFL but I’m not sure what shuffling they do to get him in. Maybe Jordon out or to the sub? Or maybe just run with one fewer tallish defender and have more runners rotating.

Laurie unlucky but no spot for him at the moment, especially if Spargo is coming in.

I think it’s time to swap Harmes and Jordon.

Then a choice between Schache, Brown or J.Smith to replace JvR.

Probably Schache given he played against North but he was not much chop in the VFL yesterday.

I wouldn’t mind seeing what J.Smith’s mobility, ground level play and defensive pressure could bring in a tall forward role at the AFL level. J. Smith would also bring the flexibility to move either him or Petty back if required, and Smith is a better match up for the mid sized Hawks forwards.

I don’t know what Brown is meant to be working on at VFL level, if he’s nailing it they might bring him in I guess. He did kick 3 yesterday and probably should’ve kicked 4 or 5.

In: Spargo, Schache, Harmes
Out: JvR (suspended), Turner (ommitted), Jordon (back to being sub)

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm open to the Joel Smith forward idea in the AFL but he needs to string at least two more decent VFL games together imo. Virtually no preseason, and learning a new role would be pretty risky imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spanking Hawthorn on a Saturday arvo sounds pretty nice tbh, although can easily see it being a scrap.

Hibberd in for Turner, Petty really needs to find some form or he's out. Maybe give JSmith a run up forward. Wouldn't surprise me to see Goody give TMac or Brown a run against the Hawks though.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Rest May. He looks ill.
Dump Petty. He looks s**t.
Big fat rocket up Fritsch.

SCHACHE ATTACKY is IN, tell him if he wants to stop being a pussy he can have Petty's role forever.
Unless of course BEN BROWN is over his sore back, in which case, another 4 goal game would be nice, of course he could kick 20 and most here would still be calling for his head.

I'll never get tired of pumping the hawks, ever.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Rest May. He looks ill.
Dump Petty. He looks s**t.
Big fat rocket up Fritsch.

SCHACHE ATTACKY is IN, tell him if he wants to stop being a pussy he can have Petty's role forever.
Unless of course BEN BROWN is over his sore back, in which case, another 4 goal game would be nice, of course he could kick 20 and most here would still be calling for his head.

I'll never get tired of pumping the hawks, ever.
They gave us a good scare last year. Was a pretty good game from memory. Mitchell had some decent tactics against us. I think he was the first to tag Langdon. Pretty solid clearance team and they are a high kicking efficiency side. Keen to see how our mids go here. The Suns really matched our star midfield. Want to see a response against a good stoppage team. Not sure they have enough firepower to make it too close, but we haven't coped overly well with a small forwardline. Not saying it's a danger game, but not sure it's going to be as dominant as some are suggesting.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Gotta appeal that surely.

Not opposed to giving JVR a rest anyway. But sheesh our tall depth is poor. TMac, Brown, Schache, Tomlinson, Disco 🤷‍♂️ yikes!

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope they tell JVR not to worry about it or change what he does or the way he plays.
If a losing appeal doesn't up it to 3 weeks then surely its worth an appeal.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope they tell JVR not to worry about it or change what he does or the way he plays.
If a losing appeal doesn't up it to 3 weeks then surely its worth an appeal.
Appeal it on principle. I’ll be ******* raging at the club if they don’t challenge it.

Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Norwood
Can only hope that we smash this mob by 50 goals. I’m not sure if it’s their awful sense of entitlement, just Jeff, the recent truly awful racism scandal, Andy Collins (it’s an SANFL thing) or that it’ll make Dermott sad as the main reason for us wanting to blitz them back to Tassie and total oblivion.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sources are saying quite a few of the boys are crook at the minute too. Hopefully they're feeling better by Saturday. A lot of bugs going around at the minute.

Sources are saying quite a few of the boys are crook at the minute too. Hopefully they're feeling better by Saturday. A lot of bugs going around at the minute.

Slick has to be one of them given how he played.

You'd think we'd appeal and win the JVR suspension, so I doubt he goes out.

Would happily give Hibbo an extra week to rest up, and if they're still keen on Petty forward then this isn't the week to end that experiment.

I hope they run with Turner again, give him a chance to find some confidence against a far less brutish forward line than the one we just played.

I'd probably go Spargo in for Chandler, just for a week off. He looked exhausted after quarter time. Have to remember he's gone from essentially being a full time VFL player for four years to being a key player for us. Hawthorn surely the week to rest him.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
David king has absolutely talked that into a suspension. Why the * are commentator's allowed to bring their own pussy thoughts on how non contact the game is? That * stick has been wanting them all to wear skirts and play non contact for years.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
David king has absolutely talked that into a suspension. Why the * are commentator's allowed to bring their own pussy thoughts on how non contact the game is? That * stick has been wanting them all to wear skirts and play non contact for years.
On First Crack King said he thought MRO giving it two weeks, but then the tribunal deciding it’s worth nothing is the right outcome. Weird that he’s changed his tune that much after a day.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
On First Crack King said he thought MRO giving it two weeks, but then the tribunal deciding it’s worth nothing is the right outcome. Weird that he’s changed his tune that much after a day.
Probably because if you start penalizing that then you have to give weeks to people taking hangers who hurt people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back