Preview Changes: R11 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

1) You maybe right, but as I recall over the last 10 years or so,
2) the top clubs do both because it does help you win.... pretty much every game against Hawthorn at their peak in which they generally always beat us.
1) thank you for being reasonable :thumbsu: . Am not trying to be "right"; just making a case and trying to back it up with reasons, not win-at-any-cost feelings.
2) The Top clubs do it most effectively on and around the ball where most players can see (and feel) them doing it. It's intimidation in the moment and was very effective for Hawthorn as you said. Brisbane too, 2001-3. I used to look at the fixture Brisbane vs Adelaide and no matter where we were on the Ladder, I'd think "Oh, hell no", especially at the Gabba. Can't remember ever beating them up there in their 3-peat era. Sydney, West Coast, Geelong too at various stages since 2000 all had that Hawthorn-like mongrel which I wish the Crows had, and used. On and around the ball :).

McHenry's struggling enough as it is without having to worry about doing meaningless crap off the ball to the opposition.

Would've thought the Crows would've learnt their lesson from a couple of years ago when Tex and co absolutely rubbished Gawn after we got an early goal. He went on to be best on ground and we lost.

Stupid, dumb, football.

Especially when you don't back it up - Oliver wouldn't let an exhausted O'Brien get back to the centre bounce. Kept on walking on his toes in front of him while O'Brien was gasping in air. Matt Crouch walked straight past and did absolutely nothing to help his team mate. That is when you step in.
I would have thought McHenry is coming along ok, playing with confidence and starting to pick up the pace of the game, he loves the physical side and we need a bit of mongrel.

I get the criticism but Gawn was massively outplayed in that game, I'd say it was a valid tactic to block him.

And it was funny to see the look of surprise everytime he got bumped, he looked down and almost couldn't believe it was this pipsqueak again.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gawn was massively outplayed in that game, I'd say it was a valid tactic to block him.
Kablamo. It was a legal tactic that successfully got a star player off his A-game. That should be the start, middle and end of it!

I hope we see it again this week with... Well, who-ever is left for the Collingwood team to do it too

Kablamo. It was a legal tactic that successfully got a star player off his A-game. That should be the start, middle and end of it!

I hope we see it again this week with... Well, who-ever is left for the Collingwood team to do it too

Why not Grundy?

1) thank you for being reasonable :thumbsu: . Am not trying to be "right"; just making a case and trying to back it up with reasons, not win-at-any-cost feelings.
2) The Top clubs do it most effectively on and around the ball where most players can see (and feel) them doing it. It's intimidation in the moment and was very effective for Hawthorn as you said. Brisbane too, 2001-3. I used to look at the fixture Brisbane vs Adelaide and no matter where we were on the Ladder, I'd think "Oh, hell no", especially at the Gabba. Can't remember ever beating them up there in their 3-peat era. Sydney, West Coast, Geelong too at various stages since 2000 all had that Hawthorn-like mongrel which I wish the Crows had, and used. On and around the ball :).
As I said, I could be wrong, but I can recall hawthorn doing a lot of things off the ball to make sure players were off their game. Mitchell used to do it Betts all the time.

If it's not getting reported or giving away free kicks I'm fine with it.

👍 it doesn’t win Grand Finals..... because it doesn’t happen on GF day ....tough hard footy is played GF day it doesn’t work on the big day because focus is on the contest.
What magic moments do people remember GF day, a player doing the amazing thing,winning the impossible contest,inspiring his team to lift and carry them across the line, who remembers the unsociable footy it’s bullsh*t .cant remember a player getting his side across the line GF day because he was unsociable RUBBISH

👍 it doesn’t win Grand Finals..... because it doesn’t happen on GF day ....tough hard footy is played GF day it doesn’t work on the big day because focus is on the contest.
What magic moments do people remember GF day, a player doing the amazing thing,winning the impossible contest,inspiring his team to lift and carry them across the line, who remembers the unsociable footy it’s bullsh*t .cant remember a player getting his side across the line GF day because he was unsociable RUBBISH
It's less likely to happen on grand final day, because the player being targeted has a premiership on the line to keep them motivated. Brereton kicked 3 goals with broken ribs and internal bleeding in 1989 (but it was only 1 goal off working). However, it can work in home and away games, and might give you an extra win or two to allow you to play finals at home.

I don't respect the off the ball stuff but I do want to see the same intensity from last weeks first half, especially going to need it from the first bounce against the fast starting pies.

Hawthorn didn't beat us because they were unsociable, they beat us because they were better than we were at playing football. End of discussion.

There may be a small advantage to be gained from niggling an opponent and getting them mentally off their game. Maybe... But it's a marginal benefit at best, and unlikely to produce any real benefit unless the opposition is close to parity with the unsociable team.

Being unsociable when you're not even competitive against the 2nd worst team in the competition is not only stupid, it's downright embarrassing.

In Adelaide's case, being unsociable is more likely to create a disadvantage, because the players (most notably McHenry) are distracting themselves more than the opposition players they're trying to niggle. It really is embarrassing.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
players developing a tougher edge and mindset as part of their broader development is perfectly fine and acceptable.

That would be significant for our chances of a win. Is Wills a back-up?

When Collingwood beat us in the wet 2018 Stephenson kicked 4 I think.
Wills is a tall midfielder (he's listed as 192cm). Rumour is Max Lynch will debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back