Preview Changes: R20 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d actually play Himmelberg , need to get his trade value up

let Thilthorpe play a game in sanfl and dominate , won’t hurt long term

also ok Re playing Billy again in defence even though I like Murray alot

I tend to agree with this. We know what Thilthorpe brings, we know what he's about, he's coming off a season effected by Groin issues, no need to smash him. Maybe find him another game or 2, but no need to rush him back or smash him in the final couple of rounds.

Himmelberg on the other hand... lets find out a little about him, he's probably not in our long term plans with Thilthorpe coming through, but other clubs may be snooping and clubs often pay overs for key forwards.

Re Billy, yep I think there's a lot more urgency/value in playing him and see if investing a full preseason into him as a defender is actually worthwhile. Murray's there either way as a long term KPD prospect, we all know where he's at and what we're working towards with him. Although it would be nice to get a few more games into Murray prior to preseason. Maybe Butts gets a couple of weeks of well deserved rest...

I wouldn't mind Cook getting a couple of games, just to get his debut out of the way and giving him a taste of what he's working towards, similar to what we did with Pedlar. Clearly he's not ready for week in week out AFL but we clearly rate his talent and he's put together some reasonable SANFL footy.

Is the SANFL up and running again next weekend?..

ins and outs

pedlar for murph
TT for himmelberg.. sorry himm..
Mookay stays sub (for the rest of year - then retired)
If Sloanes eye plays up.. bring in one of crouch/Hately to replace him.. but he played out the game so I’d expect him to be fine.

I’d prefer to also do Frampton for Murray.. but we tend not to change too much after a win.. and wheres the advantage of quickly rushing back a player that was definitely concussed when the seasons clearly over?.

Give him another week to fully recover with no doubt whatsoever. Its not like we’re gonna win or lose based on whether or not murray plays!.

If Sloanes eye plays up.. bring in one of crouch/Hately to replace him.. but he played out the game so I’d expect him to be fine.

The way Sloane's going, he'll be playing the last match with an eyepatch on each eye and we'll still be saying he can't do any more damage, might as well keep going.

I'll be watching for the Frampton vs Murray decision, the Himmelberg vs Thilthorpe decision and the whether to keep Mackay out of the 22 decision.
Based on previous selections, they'll
--- retain Frampton and Himmelberg (despite Thriller's presser where he declared himself fit and raring to go), and
--- move some kid/s around to bring Mackay back in for Murphy :rolleyes: , probably something as dumb as play Jones forward, or
--- bring Thilthorpe in and play all of Tex/Lynch/Fogarty/Himmelberg/Thilthorpe.

Nicks is reluctant to change winning sides, regardless of next opponent. Tbh, he's not keen on changing losing sides, either, especially if it means dropping Mackay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think we’ll give Berg the rest of the year in the ones? Bit of a “put him in the shop window” type scenario? I think we’ll be open to offers for him.
Yep, that's exactly what I think we are doing. I actually wouldn't mind giving ROB a rest at some point and playing Berg as 1st ruck. But looking at the rucks we come up against in the last 4 rounds (English, Lycett, Gawn, Goldstein),i'm not sure its gonna happen. Maybe this week against English

You have doubts on him long-term? He‘s 21, played 25 games, and been nominated for Rising Star twice🙄 he should almost never play SANFL again
True, but I'm worried about Sholl who was awfully fumbly and hesitant vs Hawthorn.
Please have a look at 2.15 in the AFC highlights. Sholl runs at where the ball was, turning very slowly.
Is he injured, or cooked?

It's already been rescheduled for the MCG
Thank christ for that, i would have been tempted to rest a bunch of the kids for the game if it was at ballarat and bring in all who are unlikely to be here next year for what would be whichever way you look at it, a good old fashioned belting in the freezing cold and wet of ballarat. The dogs are the best side in the comp.and grow an extra leg down there. That sort of a game against that team there could mentally scar some of the kids at the moment.

In; Murray, Worrell, Thilthorpe, Crouch, McAdam/Cook
Out: Frampton, Sholl, Berry, Murphy, Sloane, Mackay

Sholl & Berry need a rest.
Murphy & Sloane injured.
Murray return for Frampton

Time to try different things to mess with Bevo. Thilthorpe played some preseaon off a wing, so give a go. Hamilll in the Murphy role.

B: McPherson, Butts, Doedee
HB: Worrell, Murray, Jones
C: Smith, Keays, Thilthorpe
HF: Lynch, Walker, Hamill
F: McHenry, Himmelberg, Fogarty
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: Kelly, Crouch, Seedsman, McAdam/Cook
Sub: Berry
Maaaaate, as Deaneus! pointed out, Nicks doesn't make that many changes to a losing side, even if it would be good to mess with Bevo :sneaky: .
I think the most Nicks would do is
Mackay back in for Murphy, and
Berry to sub, Thilthorpe IN and shuffle the deck.

Himmelberg should have played up forward ahead of Frampton this year.

That he didn't is a mistake on the part of our coaching staff.

Now we might end up making another mistake (keeping Thilthorpe out of the team so that Himmelberg can get the games he missed out on earlier in the season)

We'd simply be making a second mistake to try to make up for our first mistake

What's more important? Giving Himmelberg a late season string of games? Or getting Thilthorpe to 50 games?

Himmelberg's games are gone. We gave them to Frampton. Can't get them back and certainly shouldn't be taking them away from our franchise player to do so.

True, but I'm worried about Sholl who was awfully fumbly and hesitant vs Hawthorn.
Please have a look at 2.15 in the AFC highlights. Sholl runs at where the ball was, turning very slowly.
Is he injured, or cooked?

Yeah, he’s a kid. Let’s all calm the farm.

Yeah, he’s a kid. Let’s all calm the farm.
Yeah, he is a kid, a lightly built kid, but got those two RS nominations when he was playing with much greater assurance and with excellent delivery. I think he has a big AFL future with the Crows, but his first half vs Hawks was unusually weak, which is why I asked if you think he is injured, or cooked.

I'll be watching for the Frampton vs Murray decision, the Himmelberg vs Thilthorpe decision and the whether to keep Mackay out of the 22 decision.
I'm happy to have both Murray and Frampton.

Bruce - Butts
Naugthon - Murray
English - Frampton
JUH - Kelly

Berg played well, but I want Thilthorpe in the team as well with Fogarty.

Either we stretch them, or we give Tex a rest this week and give those 3 the forward line to themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back