Preview Changes: R6 2019 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

From that game there aren't many pressing changes that can be made.

Forced:
Gooch -> Milera

Roll Gibbs back and play Gooch off the wing and at the bounce. He gives us plenty of burst speed, spread and loose ball winning ability there. Also can impact when rested forward.

Optional

Knight -> Jones/Stengle

Watching Knight's game, he wasn't horrid but didn't offer a lot. I would keep him in personally but you'd want him to improve his output pretty quickly.

From that game there aren't many pressing changes that can be made.

Forced:
Gooch -> Milera

Roll Gibbs back and play Gooch off the wing and at the bounce. He gives us plenty of burst speed, spread and loose ball winning ability there. Also can impact when rested forward.

Optional

Knight -> Jones/Stengle

Watching Knight's game, he wasn't horrid but didn't offer a lot. I would keep him in personally but you'd want him to improve his output pretty quickly.

Agreed on Knight, but improving his output, if you mean quantity, is not the point for me. He is basically a hacker, with tagging his only point of difference. To be retained, he needs to improve the quality of his output, IMO. He needs to develop more features in his game that bring him to notice and influence the result.

Agreed on Knight, but improving his output, if you mean quantity, is not the point for me. He is basically a hacker, with tagging his only point of difference. To be retained, he needs to improve the quality of his output, IMO. He needs to develop more features in his game that bring him to notice and influence the result.

Also agree about Knight. Has more to his game than we are seeing at the minute. I thought Gibbs wasn't scintillating either. I thought he was supposed to be more than just workmanlike.

Looking forward to Gallucci getting a run to replace Milera. They might go for Poholke though, given his good form on Saturday. I didn't think he was the worst the week before either!

need to be on our game against st kilda, who are on the verge of a dynasty after 4 comprehensive wins against top opposition.
Agree... I mean... who have they beaten so far;
-Melbourne who are absolutely horrid this year
-Essendon in round 2 who were possibly the worst rabble you’ve ever witnessed in the history of the game.. they had blokes running past the football, as it was on the ground unpossessed, so they could instead get to the interchange bench ffs!..
-suns in Melbourne
-hawks

And lost 1 game... to freo in Perth...

Hawks win was obviously a good one as the hawks are always competitive and tough to beat no matter how good/bad their recent form has been.. but the rest isn’t really much to write home about is it..

Now if there was a win or two against GWS, Geelong or West coast in there then maybe they’d have more reason to be cocky.

If they can’t beat us in Melbourne with what we’ve been dishing up so far...

Output being both quality and quantity imo

He needs to lift offensively, while also gaining more touches and making his defensive effort more imposing on the opposition in general.

Seriously looking like he will struggle to do either imo. He at least needs to spread from contest and provide an offensive option now, as other younger players with real talent look surpassing him if given much more time.

It would be nice to have the opportunity to choose from Jacobs, Jones, McHenry, McPherson, McAdam, Brown, Seedsman, Douglas and Doedee. That's a pretty long injury list with some high quality (and potential) on it. Add the newly injured Milera to Gallucci, Poholke and Jennkins, who are the main contenders from the SANFL side, then that could be the form-fixer right there - decent push up from underneath!

Don't understand the Hartigan hate, he's pretty athletic for a big guy. Short of Luke Brown coming back in, reckon we need him down back.

On H8416 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Panics one on one.
Keath is killing it. If no injuries he wouldn't have played a game. Scholl from all accounts is the type we need.

I’m not so sure. I think Dougie can still be competent in a peripheral role where we blood young players. There’s absolutely no point or value in playing him, but I doubt he’d be the kind of liability that Sauce has become. And because it’s only a peripheral role, it’s nowhere near as obvious if he’s a bit off the pace.

The moment you go off the pace due to age, you're a liability. Especially as he'd be taking up a half forward spot which could be optimised a lot better.

I don't really think he's that important anymore. I get his skill set, but if Ned McHenry can stay fit I expect him to go past Knight pretty quickly.

Similar skill set but more class.

It's certainly the unknown there, seeing McHenry should offer everything Knight does. Even Murphy can also offers similar (though is a lesser player). I'd be trying to fit in both McHenry and Knight personally in the back end of the season as pressure, and general defensive work in the forward is something sides who want to go deep will need in abundance.

Yeah I don't like to wish injuries upon people but it has been useful. We're finally getting a proper look at ROB with consecutive games rather than expecting him to come in dominate from his first game to keep Sauce out. Douglas should only be
depth and then retire at the end of the year.

Likewise, and it's to the point I'd probably breathe a sigh of a relief if his injury was a season ending one (which is the sad indictment how we've treated a once good ruck). The way Campo talked about him recently tells me that we aren't willing to make the hard but obvious decision with Sauce. Hopefully that's fluff, but it's always concerning when their fluff has the real possibility of self harm.

Good luck for the weekend lads, I’m a South Aussie so I follow the Crows and Power quite a bit even though I’m Saints mad. Should be a good game, we have never had a shot against you since what, when Neil Craig got the sack? Hopefully we can at least be competitive this time.

And to the people saying we’re being arrogant: I think we’re just getting out as much positivity as possible considering we’ve been in the s**t for years. Let us have it

And lastly, I think we do deserve to be taken more seriously. That “bottom 4 side” defeated you guys by 100 odd points last year and made a prelim didn’t they?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Polholke with a massive game on the weekend?

Why can't he do it in afl? Is he one of those players that is a superstar in the sanfl but can't make it in the afl?

Position. Poholke really doesn't get the midfield time to show if he is able to at an AFL level, and really, he isn't much chop as a half forward which is a damn hard position to dominate in even if you are well suited to it.

Why have we got Wilson on our list. Always a high possession accumulator and tough on field with a lot of pace yet he never gets mentioned in the discussion. in his only game he was played out of position in an awful side, dropped and it appears stamped never to be selected again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polholke with a massive game on the weekend?

Why can't he do it in afl? Is he one of those players that is a superstar in the sanfl but can't make it in the afl?

Bingo, that is exactly what he is.

His defenders will argue that he’s being played out of position at AFL level. He plays on the ball as an inside mid at SANFL level.

What they fail to take into account is that Myles Poholke isn’t currently good enough to play on the ball at AFL level for any team in the league, let alone a team that contains the Crouch brothers, Sloane and Greenwood as the main guys at stoppages. Gibbs can’t even get a gig in there. Poholke is no Bryce Gibbs.

Therefore, he has to adapt to and succeed at a different role at AFL level (eg half forward), or he won’t get a game. Simple.

The facts are, Poholke does not have elite speed (he’s not slow, but he certainly doesn’t “play fast”), he is not a great or penetrating field kick, he’s not an elite tackler and he certainly does not make good decisions under AFL pressure to this point. Perhaps he can work on a couple of these things. A couple of them are there to stay though.

I don’t really see a future for him at AFL level. Jones (more potential in literally every aspect), McHenry (elite pressure and tackler), Gallucci (elite speed and agility), Sholl (elite ball user) and Stengle (genuine small forward to replace Betts) all make more sense in the AFL side for various reasons moving forward than Myles, unless the inside mids all start getting injured. Not to mention Seed and Brown who are obviously going to come straight back in when available, plus Douglas who rightly or wrongly is still considered a first choice player by the selection panel.

Poholke will have his work cut out to get anything more than an injury-impacted token game here and there, and because of his lack of standout AFL traits, I think he’s probably a prime delist candidate as early as this year.

Let’s say hypothetically we are going to delist 3 players currently on the senior list at the end of 2019. That’s a pretty standard number of delistings, and will probably happen. Right now, unless I’m mistaken about their contract statuses, I believe those players would be...

Otten
Ben Davis
Poholke

Honestly, we’re not talking retirements here (maybe Douglas pulls the pin), so they’re literally the only 3 possibilities at this point, unless McPherson’s injuries have completely scared us off (unlikely considering we rated him so highly on draft day). Again, I’m talking senior list delistings, so Wilson, Strachan and Hunter don’t count here. I think Butts is looking very promising and may be upgraded in the next 6-18 months.

CEY and Murphy are also still officially rookie listed players - they’re also both preferred to Poholke at this point and both nailed down their spots for at least another week with career best performances against Gold Coast.

Patty Wilson is another who falls into the Poholke category by the way. SANFL Star, won’t have an AFL future due to certain limitations.

Based on this, I just don’t see the point in pumping games into Poholke or Wilson. Give the final couple of spots in the side to the blokes with 10-15 year AFL careers in front of them.

This week, if we’re only making one change to cover Milera, it absolutely has to be one of Gallucci, Jones, Sholl or Stengle coming in, depending on what role we want the “in” to play (goal kicking half forward = Stengle or Gallucci, ball user off half back = Sholl, wing = Jones or Gallucci, pressure forward = Jones or Gallucci).

There are no other available roles where Poholke is a better option than those players. We arguably already have one too many inside mids in the side. That’s just the unfortunate reality from where I sit.

Bingo, that is exactly what he is.

His defenders will argue that he’s being played out of position at AFL level. He plays on the ball as an inside mid at SANFL level.

What they fail to take into account is that Myles Poholke isn’t currently good enough to play on the ball at AFL level for any team in the league, let alone a team that contains the Crouch brothers, Sloane and Greenwood as the main guys at stoppages. Gibbs can’t even get a gig in there. Poholke is no Bryce Gibbs.

Therefore, he has to adapt to and succeed at a different role at AFL level (eg half forward), or he won’t get a game. Simple.

The facts are, Poholke does not have elite speed (he’s not slow, but he certainly doesn’t “play fast”), he is not a great or penetrating field kick, he’s not an elite tackler and he certainly does not make good decisions under AFL pressure to this point. Perhaps he can work on a couple of these things. A couple of them are there to stay though.

I don’t really see a future for him at AFL level. Jones (more potential in literally every aspect), McHenry (elite pressure and tackler), Gallucci (elite speed and agility), Sholl (elite ball user) and Stengle (genuine small forward to replace Betts) all make more sense in the AFL side for various reasons moving forward than Myles, unless the inside mids all start getting injured. Not to mention Seed and Brown who are obviously going to come straight back in when available, plus Douglas who rightly or wrongly is still considered a first choice player by the selection panel.

Poholke will have his work cut out to get anything more than an injury-impacted token game here and there, and because of his lack of standout AFL traits, I think he’s probably a prime delist candidate as early as this year.

Let’s say hypothetically we are going to delist 3 players currently on the senior list at the end of 2019. That’s a pretty standard number of delistings, and will probably happen. Right now, unless I’m mistaken about their contract statuses, I believe those players would be...

Otten
Ben Davis
Poholke

Honestly, we’re not talking retirements here (maybe Douglas pulls the pin), so they’re literally the only 3 possibilities at this point, unless McPherson’s injuries have completely scared us off (unlikely considering we rated him so highly on draft day). Again, I’m talking senior list delistings, so Wilson, Strachan and Hunter don’t count here. I think Butts is looking very promising and may be upgraded in the next 6-18 months.

CEY and Murphy are also still officially rookie listed players - they’re also both preferred to Poholke at this point and both nailed down their spots for at least another week with career best performances against Gold Coast.

Patty Wilson is another who falls into the Poholke category by the way. SANFL Star, won’t have an AFL future due to certain limitations.

Based on this, I just don’t see the point in pumping games into Poholke or Wilson. Give the final couple of spots in the side to the blokes with 10-15 year AFL careers in front of them.

This week, if we’re only making one change to cover Milera, it absolutely has to be one of Gallucci, Jones, Sholl or Stengle coming in, depending on what role we want the “in” to play (goal kicking half forward = Stengle or Gallucci, ball user off half back = Sholl, wing = Jones or Gallucci, pressure forward = Jones or Gallucci).

There are no other available roles where Poholke is a better option than those players. We arguably already have one too many inside mids in the side. That’s just the unfortunate reality from where I sit.

I wouldn't write Ben Davis off yet, but yeah, I agree with Myles. Could get games in clubs who are rebuilding, and need a body, but really is in that limbo point of being a very good SANFL option nowdays, but lacking one or two tools to differentiate himself from the pack at the next level.

I wouldn't write Ben Davis off yet, but yeah, I agree with Myles. Could get games in clubs who are rebuilding, and need a body, but really is in that limbo point of being a very good SANFL option nowdays, but lacking one or two tools to differentiate himself from the pack at the next level.

Would love to see Davis make it. Tried to avoid including him in the 3 potential delistees. It’s impossible unfortunately. Who knows though, maybe we’ll only need to ditch 2 due to retirements and trades, and he may survive the cut.

1) Were you not?
2) Why are you on a footy discussion board then
1) No, I was not ;). What are they? You said Hartigan's numbers were "about right for his position". On that basis, either Keath is a superstar in the other back pocket, or Hartigan has actually been underperforming.
This was my whole comment:
"I was not aware that positions had quotas, or expected numbers. Please elaborate, or reference a Coach's/AFL site that gives those numbers? What's "about right" for a mid? a CHF? a HF?".
Please, enlighten me.

2) Why? Good question, and thanks for your interest :rolleyes:. Basically, I'm looking to share ideas/opinions and have interesting discussions with other Crows supporters, and have some fun in the process.
I found out pretty quickly (from you, actually) that there are some posters who just lurk. Most of their (read: your) posts come from waiting to pounce on people's slightest mistakes, and/or to belittle or abuse them for trying to be positive/polite/reasonable, or merely for holding a different viewpoint.
I await your reply with interest, expecting you to prove that right (eg see your own quote, above).

Last edited:
Will they bring Jones straight back in? It’s either him or Gallucci for Milera and that will be the only change.

I think we should drop Harto, as the Saints have a small, agile forward line. I'd probably go with Sholl as his replacement, with Gallucci coming in for Milera. I don't think we'll drop anyone else, given the result.

I think we should drop Harto, as the Saints have a small, agile forward line. I'd probably go with Sholl as his replacement, with Gallucci coming in for Milera. I don't think we'll drop anyone else, given the result.
I'd be more inclined to do Kelly since Hartigan has played well on guys like Robbie Gray in the past, but that sort of thinking isn't the way Pyke works. We'll just ask D-Mac to be more defensive or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back