Preview Changes: R6 vs Hawthorn, Sunday April 23, 12.40pm ACST @ York Park (Tasmania)

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the main board, looking for the Game Day Thread.
Scrolled up and down a few times, looking more closely every time. Then I realised:

View attachment 1666891

I hate waiting for Sunday games :grimacing::rage:.
Fear not..

Our SANFL side plays at 1:10pm SA time today!

While we are playing well, I am concerned that when teams figure us out, will we be able to pivot and still win games?

This was the downfall of both Craig and Pyke.

No point having a bulletproof game plan when it is easily countered by oppositions and we have no other place to go.

I think this game against Hawthorn is huge. In many ways, I will be happier about winning this than I was the showdown and Carlton because it is the sort of game we wouldn't ordinarily get ourselves up for and traditionally would drop. Take last year's game against the Hawks. Take Round 1 this year. Take the GWS game last year.

This should be a "get the job done" victory if we are serious about being a finals team, and we haven't earned the right to have those yet. This is our first test.

Lose this, and the win over Carlton means nothing.
That last sentence seems a bit dramatic

1) And @Kane McGoodwin said we should rotate players in/out for management reasons and Berry's a respectable replacement. Kudos for not just negging my post, but putting up an argument.
2) Sounds like we all agree we're talking about that "last picked" 21st/22nd position like Murphy/Sloane/Keays type spots, those are actually extremely valuable slots and we MUST use them wisely.
4) If a spot opens up I want to see the unproven folks given a go, over a guy who, at best, can be a respectable replacement for a half lame Sloane.
1) Kudos to you, for respecting Kane McGoodwin's counterarguments :thumbsu:.
2) If I read that right, you're saying that Sloane and Keays are ""last picked" 21st/22nd position" players....?
Seriously? :confusedv1:
There are many varied opinions in here but what only counts in the real world is what the Coaches think and based on Coaches' votes and Selection over the last 2 years and this year, Ben Keays is probably one of the first 10 players selected. He is not on the fringe and to my recollection has never been dropped to the SANFL.
Keays' new role ("clicked" as a forward, running his HB opponent off his feet) makes him more effective than he ever was, kicking woes notwithstanding.
3) That's the second time you've used the term "half lame Sloane" which is unfair.
Sloane's first two games were not great, for sure, but (like Milera in some ways) he's been given time to find his feet, get confidence back post-injury in his movement and I am not surprised that he was retained and has been strongly influential in the last 3 wins.
His experience and on-field nous and organisational skills are also invaluable to the juniors around him. Like Tex.
As with Keays, I doubt that Sloane is on the AFL-team fringe.

Out of all the Berry enthusiasts, only 2 were brave enough to actually say who should come out. And Kane McGoodwin said we should rotate players in/out for management reasons and Berry's a respectable replacement. Kudos for not just negging my post, but putting up an argument.

So the Berry enthusiasts are super keen on a player who, at best, they think can replace a half lame Sloane. Not a huge endorsement.

I reiterate. I don't wanna see Berry in the team. Because if I do, it means we have injuries or serious form drops and our team overall is weaker than it could be.

Sounds like we all agree we're talking about that "last picked" 21st/22nd position like Murphy/Sloane/Keays type spots, those are actually extremely valuable slots and we MUST use them wisely. History would have us play someone like Berry in there until he's got ~50 games, then delisted (Galluci, Rowe). HUGE mistake waste of games. History would see us keep someone like Taylor on the list for years without getting a go, or only a game or 2, and still never be sure if he can make a career. Another HUGE mistake.

I'd hate to see those mistakes again.

If a spot opens up I want to see the unproven folks given a go, over a guy who, at best, can be a respectable replacement for a half lame Sloane.
I think the reason everyone got so cranky at you is that they violently disagree with your opinion on Berry’s ceiling

Fear not..

Our SANFL side plays at 1:10pm SA time today!
OK, thanks for that :thumbsu:. The line-up looks strong.
I'll be watching a few players (eg Berry, McAdam, Worrell, Schoenberg, Parnell, Gollant, Keane, Taylor, Brown) with great interest.

Edit: Several. Several players. :laughv1:@me.

Last edited:
I think the reason everyone got so cranky at you is that they violently disagree with your opinion on Berry’s ceiling
A better argument, good. If Berry doesn't have a ceiling of "Matt Crouch at best" as I think he does, I could see why people would want him in.

Still, it would be hard for anyone to argue that if he can't force his way past any of Chayce, Sholl, Sloane, Murphy or whoever else you want to say is on the fringe, it's not looking good for him right now. Same as Schoenberg (at least nobody has stuck up for him yet, much to my relief!).

I hope you're all correct and his ceiling is Rory Laird, but I'm putting a hand up and saying it definitely ain't IMO, so I want to see other players.

A better argument, good. If Berry doesn't have a ceiling of "Matt Crouch at best" as I think he does, I could see why people would want him in.

Still, it would be hard for anyone to argue that if he can't force his way past any of Chayce, Sholl, Sloane, Murphy or whoever else you want to say is on the fringe, it's not looking good for him right now. Same as Schoenberg (at least nobody has stuck up for him yet, much to my relief!).

I hope you're all correct and his ceiling is Rory Laird, but I'm putting a hand up and saying it definitely ain't IMO, so I want to see other players.
I’ll stick up for Schoenberg too. Another young, inexperienced player who (IMO) has shown enough to think he’s a good chance of being a very good player, if given time and games.

The midfield logjam is truly a bit of a problem, worse this year with Rachele and Dawson getting significant midfield minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Berry or Schoenberg left for better opportunities elsewhere, and flourished.

The All Australian Matt Crouch?

Geezus man you have some delirious high standards mostly unreachable by mere mortals.

Out of all the Berry enthusiasts, only 2 were brave enough to actually say who should come out. And Kane McGoodwin said we should rotate players in/out for management reasons and Berry's a respectable replacement. Kudos for not just negging my post, but putting up an argument.

So the Berry enthusiasts are super keen on a player who, at best, they think can replace a half lame Sloane. Not a huge endorsement.

I reiterate. I don't wanna see Berry in the team. Because if I do, it means we have injuries or serious form drops and our team overall is weaker than it could be.

Sounds like we all agree we're talking about that "last picked" 21st/22nd position like Murphy/Sloane/Keays type spots, those are actually extremely valuable slots and we MUST use them wisely. History would have us play someone like Berry in there until he's got ~50 games, then delisted (Galluci, Rowe). HUGE mistake waste of games. History would see us keep someone like Taylor on the list for years without getting a go, or only a game or 2, and still never be sure if he can make a career. Another HUGE mistake.

If a spot opens up I want to see the unproven folks given a go, over a guy who, at best, can be a respectable replacement for a half lame Sloane.
Are you related to Bearded Clam?

If pre season anyone thought Sloane would be getting CBAs and keeping berry out it’d be mutiny around here.

But it’s clear as day that’s the only way you can spin it currently. Unless you’re happy for Sloane to go back to wing which pushes Jones/scholl out or a bit more left field (just because it’s not the role he’s been in at any stage this year, not because it isn’t viable) is a Kaeys out and Sloane to his role.

But the fact of the way we are playing, the overall midfield and team mix is that Sloane over berry is perfectly acceptable

You're pulling the trigger way too early, after 3 poor games. Maybe you didn't watch him closely last year?

This is a guy who has shown elite qualities in his specific position. Contested position, clearances, centre clearances, pressure acts, tackles. Needs to work on disposal, not uncommon.

Hasn't been a smooth start to the year. A few weeks in the SANFL will do him good but much like Thilthorpe, he needs to be playing AFL to develop.

Your view on Berry feels very, 'race to be first' rather than 'race to be right'. I respect your right to have it. Just could have picked someone better than our most promising young mid leading into this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a strange opinion.

Berry just turned 21 and this is his third year in the AFL. He played 35 AFL games in his first two years and was clearly in our top 10 players last year.

Sam had a strong preseason but surprisingly has had a slow start to the season. He has apparently had a calf niggle but imho has mainly suffered from the major changes to our midfield combinations this year.

I am very confident he will be a key player for the Crows in the years ahead. You don’t just lose your ability in a few weeks and disappear forever.

Did you watch any of the Crows matches last year?

You're pulling the trigger way too early, after 3 poor games. Maybe you didn't watch him closely last year?

This is a guy who has shown elite qualities in his specific position. Contested position, clearances, centre clearances, pressure acts, tackles. Needs to work on disposal, not uncommon.

Hasn't been a smooth start to the year. A few weeks in the SANFL will do him good but much like Thilthorpe, he needs to be playing AFL to develop.

Your view on Berry feels very, 'race to be first' rather than 'race to be right'. I respect your right to have it. Just could have picked someone better than our most promising young mid leading into this year.
Far too early to write him off. Most players have a form slump or two in their early years. Going back to the SANFL will do him good.

Remember when Chad Wingard was really good? He seems never to have recaptured that form he was in ten years ago as a young player, below age 23.

I’ve brought him in to my fantasy football team. Backing him in for a big one, he’s turned a corner.
I brought him in this week as well, is this his first game in Tassie for us? Also went Neale over Bont which isn't looking great at this point...

Berry needs to learn to lower his eyes or pass to the player with the better disposal.

Kicking long way too much before he went out of the team. Not his strength and not how we are wanting to play this year.

This doesn't seem that hard to fix.

I bet that's the instructions he was given in the sanfl.

No ....reported today MELB are close to re-signing Pickett
Agree.

There's no point entertainimg this conversation until there's a firm indication that we are any sort of chance.

Melb, port and WA teams all seem ahead in terms of preference for Kossie.

If we're coming from that far back, there's no point getting your hopes up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back