Preview Changes: R6 vs Hawthorn, Sunday April 23, 12.40pm ACST @ York Park (Tasmania)

Remove this Banner Ad

A better argument, good. If Berry doesn't have a ceiling of "Matt Crouch at best" as I think he does, I could see why people would want him in.

Still, it would be hard for anyone to argue that if he can't force his way past any of Chayce, Sholl, Sloane, Murphy or whoever else you want to say is on the fringe, it's not looking good for him right now. Same as Schoenberg (at least nobody has stuck up for him yet, much to my relief!).

I hope you're all correct and his ceiling is Rory Laird, but I'm putting a hand up and saying it definitely ain't IMO, so I want to see other players.
Berry is a 3rd year player , just off his second year . Just need to calm the farm a bit

Look at a James Rowbottom for example , was fighting for a spot at the start of his 4th season at swans and is a very capable player now

It happens all the time , players go back to state league work on their games get better , get confident , add strings to their bow then it translates eventually at AFL level

Especially a guy like Berry who succeeded in his first year playing afl midfield ( season 2022 ) …. Thrived even

Berry needs to learn to lower his eyes or pass to the player with the better disposal.

Kicking long way too much before he went out of the team. Not his strength and not how we are wanting to play this year.

This doesn't seem that hard to fix.

I bet that's the instructions he was given in the sanfl.
Was that even it this year?
His excellent season last year was built on tackling and he was exceptionally poor at it in the first two games.

I think 100% opposite. Put our best 22 on the park playing with the confidence we are playing with and I think it can match anyone if our top 6 fire.

Where we will find out how good our depth is is if we start to lose players. Not one player where a player 8 game Gollant comes in for a 11 game Pedlar, but injuries like Collingwood/Essedndon/Melbourne/Sydney have and are dealing with.

Where this forum is laughable is everyone spruiking our amazing depth. Gollant, Worrell, Keane, Cook, Nankervis, Taylor, Parnell, Strawnie have a combined 53 games of AFL experience. The most consecutive games any of them have played in a row is 11 (Parnell). We simply haven't seen enough of them at AFL level to know. I am sure our resident experts think they will all be 200 gamers, but that just isn't the case.

Sure it isn't a problem if our 7th best forward Murphy goes out and Mchenry comes in to fill his 'non goal scoring role', but the flown affect of losing a player like Dawson, Rankine, or Murray would let us find out about our depth.

Hard to say, though the expectation would be we'd be able to wear two losses to that group before s**t went south.

For all the talk of Sydenys injuries, it hasn't hit their core. Warner, Guiden, Parker, Papley, Rampe, McDonald and Henney have lost one game between them this season. Collingwood? Same story. None of their core that led to 2022 jump has lost significant game time outside of Howe. Saints, similar though Steele and King have been losses. Essendon Wight, Cox I guess? Actually it's kind of hard to say with Essendon considering how terrible they were last year.

Really, depth is primarily there to replace those foot soldiers and keep a side ticking over. Of course, most of it's about having interesting options.

That said, I still have us as mid-table. Sure we're dangerous at out best, but even the eventual premiership winner doesn't play their best football week in week out. I'm not convinced we're at a stage we can grind out wins when it isn't working at this point.

Was that even it this year?
His excellent season last year was built on tackling and he was exceptionally poor at it in the first two games.
I didn't think his tackling was bad, maybe not the same numbers. Perhaps trying to build a more attacking game which I'm fine with.

Execution wasn't the best I don't think. Turning the ball over on long kicks a lot was what I noticed.

Berry picked a bad time to show poor form. Think he may be in the magoos for a while now until injury opens up a spot.

Anyways, will do him good to have a few hit outs in the seconds, get some confidence
If, say, he dominates the next two SANFL games, he’s in after that IMO

It’s a bit of the Chayce Jones case - learn to hunt the ball as much as you hunt the man. Although I do think that the calf was hampering him early season too, as his PS form was much better than what he showed R1-3

“The 25 year old…”

he only just turned 23!

You’d think the local (Southern) rag would be able to get it right.
Tassie has a population of just over 500K yet has 3 local newspapers that hardly anyone reads.
Launceston rag is The Examiner.
North West, The Advocate.
Unfortunately, all just a waste of trees.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a strange opinion.

Berry just turned 21 and this is his third year in the AFL. He played 35 AFL games in his first two years and was clearly in our top 10 players last year.

Sam had a strong preseason but surprisingly has had a slow start to the season. He has apparently had a calf niggle but imho has mainly suffered from the major changes to our midfield combinations this year.

I am very confident he will be a key player for the Crows in the years ahead. You don’t just lose your ability in a few weeks and disappear forever.

Did you watch any of the Crows matches last year?
Fischer says Hello.
Berry will be fine, he's too competitive to let a little stumbling block hold him back for the rest of his career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back