Prediction Changes Rd 6 vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocky > Wines

Could be a fair chance that in 1-2 years time both won’t be here. It’s like an upgraded Moore vs Young (vs Newton) debate.

The 2 players I want out of the side, and I've been consistent on this for 2 years, is Bonner and Rockliff.

2 players I want back in are Burton and Georgiadis.

Considered Ladhams but against GWS Lycett should be able to hold his own against Mumford.
I can't question Lycett's effort but I'm starting to think that's all he is a toiler.

We have Ladhams who is a good mover but also not the greatest tap ruckman, Hayes is probably the one who genuinely has smart tapwork.

Some pretty emotional and irrational responses here. Teams been on the road for 4 weeks and some calling for 5 changes. Absolute ludicrous. I’d have Burton for Farrell but there are a couple of players that need to go on notice, Motlop, Clurey and Bonner just to name a few.
I think Farrell needs to be given an extended run to prove himself. The kid has poise and skill and he needs to be given the same opportunity to grow as our top draft picks were given last season. He has proven that he can perform at the level as a small forward but now he has to step up on the wing.

I can't question Lycett's effort but I'm starting to think that's all he is a toiler.

We have Ladhams who is a good mover but also not the greatest tap ruckman, Hayes is probably the one who genuinely has smart tapwork.
Yeah, I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and pick Ladhams or Hayes at some stage. Their potential is greater than Lycett, but if they aren't given game time why hang around?

Who would go out for Georgiades? I wonder if he can be developed as a medium lead up forward? Rather than a tall. I don't think many forward lines have the height Brisbane do, but Westhoff could drop back in defense.

I always thought Jonas got away with his height by having long arms. But I see McInerney and thought he's just a 205cm version of Jonas, he's got some serious reach.

Rocky > Wines

Agreed. Outside of having a stronger leg, what does Wines do better than Rockliff? Rockliff is a better link man with the ball and imo he's stronger in and under than Wines.

Yesterdays game though was exhibit A as to why both can't play in the same team against quick sides like Brisbane.

When Lycett was at West Coast I never thought, wow, he's a gun ruckman. In fact for probably his first half a dozen years I thought he was a spud. He's matured into a decent Ruckman, and I think he has heart, but he's never going to be an A grader.
We definitely need to blood Ladhams and Hayes where appropriate.

Agreed. Outside of having a stronger leg, what does Wines do better than Rockliff? Rockliff is a better link man with the ball and imo he's stronger in and under than Wines.

Yesterdays game though was exhibit A as to why both can't play in the same team against quick sides like Brisbane.

Wines still has upside, well not upside, but can hopefully regain some of his younger years form in what should now be the peak of his career. He's still only 25. Rockliff is a slow plodder who's only getting slower. There is no future for Tom Rockliff.

We wont react hard enough at the selection table & we'll be ok against some opposition but the Brisbanes of this world will slay us when it matters.. u know it I know it Hinkley breathes it.

Wines still has upside, well not upside, but can hopefully regain some of his younger years form in what should now be the peak of his career. He's still only 25. Rockliff is a slow plodder who's only getting slower. There is no future for Tom Rockliff.

Outside of one month in 2018, Ollie's standard of performances has stagnated and arguably gotten worse ever since the end of 2014.

You're right, he should be at the peak of his career. But given the last 5 years or so and the lack of consistently turning potential into performance, maybe Ollie just isn't going to be that guy we envisioned he would turn into during the first 2 years of his career?

This is his 8th season in the league. Can't be picking on potential that deep in your career. I get that Rockliff isn't going to improve, but I still rather his game than Ollie's at this point.

If Ollie could learn how to kick properly and how to be a solid link man to accentuate the outside runners, it wouldn't be a discussion. But he's the worst kick in the league and his disposal in general is bad at best.

Whatever are the changes, we need to fix the midfield up, it continues to be our Achilles heel.

The good sides know they can get a hold of us if they win the midfield and they know that we are slow in there.

Robbie may have lost a yard of pace but he is our best and cleanest clearance player and when in there he worries other sides, they focus on him. So stick him in the guts and make sure that when he’s in that only one of SPP or wines are in with him.

When we come up against a leaping ruckman we have to play ladhams, Martin just jumped over lycett

We have a lack of height in defence. Up until yesterday we got away with it but I think Jack Watts has to be looked at. Apparently Watts is fit to go and if we are going to play him it has to be soon as the longer he stays out the longer it will take for him to regain match fitness. Thus far Trent McKenzie has done reasonably well but I think Watts' extra height and the promise he was showing as a rebounding defender before injured would add a bit extra to our defence.

I am also a little concerned at Scott Lycett's performance in the tap work. He is doing well around the ground but getting shaded at the stoppages. We are never going to win the stoppages unless we get first hand to the football and Lycett isn't doing that. Last year Ken dropped Lycett after Round 19 when he had one of his best games. Maybe there is a case for doing the same this year? Like Watts, Peter Ladhams needs a run.

Ryan Burton was close to selection so he will probably come back in this week.

OUTS: Bonner, Lycett, McKenzie

INS: Burton, Ladhams, Watts

Maybe some unlucky players there but we have no Reserve side and players cannot maintain the edge if they are not playing under match conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out:
- Robbie (doing f**k all so needs the kick up the arse)
- Bonner (too soft, and decision making is poor)
- Clurey (can't let tonight slide)
- Rockliff (we can't carry so many slow inside mids)

In:
- Georgiades
- Burton (if not fit, go Lienert)
- Watts
- Mayes or Bergman

If we see a key forward dropped, Hinkley can be projectiled into the Sun.

EDIT: I totally forgot Farrell was even playing, but he's done nothing with his opportunity so the spot can go to Mayes or Bergman.

Nek min.... ‘I’ll back the boys in to respond’

Whatever are the changes, we need to fix the midfield up, it continues to be our Achilles heel.

The good sides know they can get a hold of us if they win the midfield and they know that we are slow in there.

Robbie may have lost a yard of pace but he is our best and cleanest clearance player and when in there he worries other sides, they focus on him. So stick him in the guts and make sure that when he’s in that only one of SPP or wines are in with him.

When we come up against a leaping ruckman we have to play ladhams, Martin just jumped over lycett

Ladhams plays like mid too, very clean.

We wont react hard enough at the selection table & we'll be ok against some opposition but the Brisbanes of this world will slay us when it matters.. u know it I know it Hinkley breathes it.

That small ground doesn’t suit us either, we seem to struggle on grounds like that, we had zero open space going forward.
I hate that ground, it’s SCG size.

Bonner out for Burton
Rockliff out for Bergman, Houston to the Middle

Westhoff out for Ladhams
or
Clurey out for Ladhams, Westhoff back

Anyone who wants to drop Marshall should shampoo Craig Hutchison's balls as punishment.
I don't particularly 'want' to drop him, but 1 disposal to 3/4 time when Dixon is getting double teamed last night is pathetic. He isnt 18 in his first year of Footy anymore, he is in his 4th year and needs to start standing up. Had Marshall posed a threat Dixon maybe doesn't get double teamed.

He couldn't have been much worse last night, there is a difference between having a down game and being Pathetic. Georgiadies was unlucky to go out after Round 1, losing his sport to Dixon. After Marshall's effort Yesterday, id rather Mitch be given another opportunity. (FWIF, id like to see all three in the side)

This isn't about scapegoating him, he is one of many that should go after last nights effort, if we are a serious side and things have changed last night effort doesn't go un punished.

When Lycett was at West Coast I never thought, wow, he's a gun ruckman. In fact for probably his first half a dozen years I thought he was a spud. He's matured into a decent Ruckman, and I think he has heart, but he's never going to be an A grader.
We definitely need to blood Ladhams and Hayes where appropriate.

Well we're coming up against the reanimated corpse of either Shane Mumford or Sam Jacobs this week. Ladhams could run and jump all over either of them.

Rockliff needs to go. He's a good footballer, certainly not a spud like half of this board accuses him of being, but Boak + Wines + Rockliff is clearly the wrong mix, Boak is obviously going nowhere, and if we drop Wines he'll leave at the end of the year and we'll be lucky to get a half-eaten sandwich for him at the trade table.

Why is there even a changes thread?
Deep down we know the car salesman is gonna roll up to the presser and mumble some shut about
“We were really strong all season until last week, we think everybody’s allowed a poor game so we’ll be backing the boys in this week”....

Assuming we drop Rockliff to depth player only which he is. Our midfield rotations would consist of:
Slow/Big Bodied/Grunt: Wines, Ebert
Big Bodied/Grunt: SPP
Ball Winners: Boak, Gray
Youth/Skill/Good skills: Rozee/Butters/Houston.

Is this enough or indeed good enough?

The way the ball was getting hacked into the forward line peak Carey wouldn't have had a kick....wouldn't be too hard on Marshall.
Georgi should be playing and would be a good mix with Dixon and Marshall...bring him in.

Bonner Rockliff are easy outs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back