Prediction Changes Rd 6 vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm continually amazed people who think Watts is a walk up start to our backline after not playing a proper game for 15 months on the back of precisely 1 good game at half back and conveniently forgetting his past decade body of work.

cos hes the only hope we have thats over 192cm

GWS have a pacy team, so we need leg speed. Hence Bonner, Farrell, Motlop, etc "may" stay in the side as a result.

Thinking Burton will be an in, leading to Huston (or DBJ) into the midfield rotations. Maybe Gray goes into the square more too, albeit he still limps and favours his leg when walking, so the toe can't be too good yet (maybe another 3 to 4 weeks before he is able to push off and accelerate from stoppages effectively).

GWS don't have much height (well, not of substance anyway), with Lobb and Patton gone, plus I think Lycett can cope with Mumford or Jacobs better than he did with Martin+Oscar, so hoping we can get a better slice of clearance numbers this week. Also means our small key defenders will not be under so much duress.

Reckon Clurey is on thin ice - hasn't played a good game all season bar versus Ted (who hasn't?), so he may drop out for Burton.

I don't particularly 'want' to drop him, but 1 disposal to 3/4 time when Dixon is getting double teamed last night is pathetic. He isnt 18 in his first year of Footy anymore, he is in his 4th year and needs to start standing up. Had Marshall posed a threat Dixon maybe doesn't get double teamed.

He couldn't have been much worse last night, there is a difference between having a down game and being Pathetic. Georgiadies was unlucky to go out after Round 1, losing his sport to Dixon. After Marshall's effort Yesterday, id rather Mitch be given another opportunity. (FWIF, id like to see all three in the side)

This isn't about scapegoating him, he is one of many that should go after last nights effort, if we are a serious side and things have changed last night effort doesn't go un punished.

You're talking about a 25 game key forward in a game where the midfield got absolutely smashed. Westhoff has played 270 games and he only had 2 touches to 3/4 time.

Marshall plays a position where we haven't developed a player since goal umpires wore white coats and bowlers hats. We absolutely must back him in through a solitary bad game when he has been so good all year and he's so important to our future. We don't even have reserves playing where he can reliably find some form, not that he needs to find form.

Further to that, we've suffered so, so badly by not respecting the need for KPPs to develop and backing them in, which has been a big reason for our lack of success over the last 15 years. Dropping him now after 4 good games and 1 bad would be the worst selection decision Hinkley has ever made. Worse than picking a completely unfit Jarrad Redden. Worse than dropping Butcher in similar circumstances for Sam Gray against Brisbane in 2014. Worse than replacing the injured Carlile and Trengove with flankers against Essendon. The worst.

OUT: Rockliff, IN: Georgiades/Williams. Robbie to spend more time in the middle.
OUT: Farrell, IN: Mayes. Farrell has done nothing in two weeks. Mayes deserves a go at long last.
OUT: Bonner, IN: Burton. Fairly simple logic behind this one, Burton is good at AFL football and Bonner isn't.

I'm continually amazed people who think Watts is a walk up start to our backline after not playing a proper game for 15 months on the back of precisely 1 good game at half back and conveniently forgetting his past decade body of work.
... or his body work. He plays more like a quarterback than a lock down defender.
If anyone, he would replace Bonner but certainly not Clurey..

cos hes the only hope we have thats over 192cm

Nah he isn't. We needed tall defenders last night that could stand a tall player one on one. Watts isn't that type of player.
... or his body work. He plays more like a quarterback than a lock down defender.
If anyone, he would replace Bonner but certainly not Clurey..

Correct. As a one on one defender against a 200cm forward Watts would get murdered.

I don't necessarily think we need a Andrews/Talia style shutdown defender. What we need is someone who can win or halve a contest against a 200cm key forward. We got killed by very tall KPFs against Brisbane and we need someone who players can trust to spoil a mark so we don't have every defender and his dog flying into packs and leaving their opponents.

Watts hasn't shown a great deal in that sense, but he's next in line and ultimately, Clurey hasn't had a great season culminating with a disastrous game against Brisbane. He's well and truly in droppable form. Watts is next in line. We know he'll dramatically improve our vision and ball movement coming out of defence. He reads the play well and he intercepts pretty well. He's not the solution to our problems, but the solution to our problems is to go back in time 5-7 years, sack Hinkley and start putting some time and effort into developing key position players. The fact that we have 2 key defenders under 25 on the list and they're both rookie listers is absolutely damning, but that's the level of interest this regime has in KPPs.

Yesterday was unacceptable, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Robbie really is struggling and we are lacking some spark in the midfield.

Therefore my main change would be get Robbie on the ball for 10mins or so each quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out:
- Robbie (doing f**k all so needs the kick up the arse)
- Bonner (too soft, and decision making is poor)
- Clurey (can't let tonight slide)
- Rockliff (we can't carry so many slow inside mids)

In:
- Georgiades
- Burton (if not fit, go Lienert)
- Watts
- Mayes or Bergman

If we see a key forward dropped, Hinkley can be projectiled into the Sun.

EDIT: I totally forgot Farrell was even playing, but he's done nothing with his opportunity so the spot can go to Mayes or Bergman.
Don't mind also thinking Ladhams and play 2 ruck's...

Yeah my main change is to stop giving so many centre bounce attendances to the Rockliff Boak wines ebert spp combo that failed so so bad last night.

Ebert shouldnt ever be at a centre bounce ever again. We moved past him like 3 years ago. Let him play the quasi midfielder running around the forward line role he’s done alright in. He’s not a good clearance player not a good user and adds to the pace issues already there.

wines boak and rocky playing so much together is very slow and stale. Break them up.

get rocky out of the team and give his and eberts centre bounces to gray rozee and get butters in there for the occasional bounce. I want Houston in there as his defensive work in there might be needed but he’s also found form back in his usual role and not sure I want to change that.

Bonner and Rockliff were both dropped last year. In Ken's eyes, they learned their lesson and may now forever hold gold passes. Rocky will play every game until his contract ends, barring injury. Bonner being dropped will require the threat of mutiny by the assistants, as happened last year.

Last edited:
Yesterday was unacceptable, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Robbie really is struggling and we are lacking some spark in the midfield.

Therefore my main change would be get Robbie on the ball for 10mins or so each quarter
Welcome to BigFooty. Nice avatar. I am intrigued by your user name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back