Preview Changes v Carlton, Rd 9

Carlton aren't as bad as everyone believes, they will claim a big scalp soon, just don't think it will be this week. When scoring is your strength and you can stop a nose bleed, it will always be a horrible match up against the best defensive teams in the league.
Reckon they'll beat Sydney in a couple of weeks. They've troubled the Swans in recent years.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carlton's losses have generally been expected. Richmond, Port, Brisbane and Western Bulldogs though they have done well against them and probably should have won. The Collingwood loss hurts and might hurt them seasons end.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Chandler for Melksham. Jones sub.
Wouldn't shock me at all if Trac doesn't get up though in which case I'd bring in Sparrow for him.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melksham is offering fu** all but I can understand why they wouldn’t want to make many unforced changes at 8-0.
Whilst we’re winning I can’t see him being dropped. He provides little pressure but when he touches the footy he tends to make things happen. Spargo Pickett and ANB provide the pressure and coaches will probably be good with that for now. Also I don’t think we have any creative players to come in that are going to play his role.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whilst we’re winning I can’t see him being dropped. He provides little pressure but when he touches the footy he tends to make things happen. Spargo Pickett and ANB provide the pressure and coaches will probably be good with that for now. Also I don’t think we have any creative players to come in that are going to play his role.
Like when he bombed it over McDonald's head who luckily didn't infringe won the ball resulting in a goal to trac.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Like when he bombed it over McDonald's head who luckily didn't infringe won the ball resulting in a goal to trac.
I’m not saying he doesn’t make mistakes but he plays a role. We got lucky that time. But he generally uses it well going forward. TBH I wouldn’t be bothered if he got dropped. Players like Chandler and Bedford deserve a crack. I’m just thinking he’s safe ATM.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not saying he doesn’t make mistakes but he plays a role. We got lucky that time. But he generally uses it well going forward. TBH I wouldn’t be bothered if he got dropped. Players like Chandler and Bedford deserve a crack. I’m just thinking he’s safe ATM.
Obviously I was just being a little cheeky but I can't think of too many situations where he's used it well this year. Was quite a big mistake on the weekend he had plenty of time and the forward line was virtually empty and to kick it like that is inexcusable. I get he's out of form but surely his decision making hasn't gone so downhill since 2018.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only change I would make is have Melksham as the sub and give Chandler a run.

Im hoping Petty can have a big game on Mckay or Curnow and cement the opportunity presented for him.

Petty to run with Ed Curnow in the midfield?! Now that’s certainly left-field.

(Agree with Chandler for Melk).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne

Unfortunately the things Melk tends to make happen most often when he touches the ball these days are holding the ball frees to the opposition.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton's losses have generally been expected. Richmond, Port, Brisbane and Western Bulldogs though they have done well against them and probably should have won. The Collingwood loss hurts and might hurt them seasons end.

All top teams and our losing margin to them has been between 16-28 points...so we were in the game and not unexpected to lose against those teams, but frustrating that we couldn't snag one win out of those games, especially the Dogs when we were 27 points up in the 3rd quarter and all over them.

My prediction would be something similar this week...a pretty good contest and not a walk in the park for Melbourne, but you'll probably grind out a win by 3-4 goals.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
All top teams and our losing margin to them has been between 16-28 points...so we were in the game and not unexpected to lose against those teams, but frustrating that we couldn't snag one win out of those games, especially the Dogs when we were 27 points up in the 3rd quarter and all over them.

My prediction would be something similar this week...a pretty good contest and not a walk in the park for Melbourne, but you'll probably grind out a win by 3-4 goals.
I'm not sure why you quoted me to make the exact same point. I also mentioned in a previous post that carlton's worst loss in the last season and a half is 31 points. Every other team in the AFL have had bigger losses in that period so I agree carlton are generally in games.

Just heard on the radio a weird stat that Carlton are the only team to not have a loss over 32 points in the past year and a bit. Their worst loss being 31 points against Hawthorn. So they are generally in games. Hopefully we end that streak on Sunday.

Got more chance of seeing Ronald Dale get 10 Coaches votes in this match.
You deeply underestimate the effect being a member of the Kent Kingsley Klub has on the ability of a spud to dominate against us.

Back